• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Stateroom size - 4 tons too much?

I dare you to design….. the K’kree Trader!
Take a number, get in line. :cautious:
I've got other projects to finish before turning to deal with something like that.
I'm still not done yet with my revised 328 ton SIE Clipper collaboration project between Caladbolg/Sword Worlds and Grote/Glisten in the Spinward Marches. I've had other priorities taking up spaces in the top of the stack.

There already is one
Xeekr'kir! (Merchant): Using a 6,000-ton hull, the K'kree merchant
is typical of most commercial starships in the Two Thousand
Worlds, and is frequently encountered as a vessel operated by a
merchant family - it is a standard mustering out benefit for some
K'kree merchants. It has jump drive-2, power plant-2, and maneuver
drive-I, giving a performance of jump-2 and 1-G acceleration. Fuel
tankage of 1320 tons supports the power plant and allows one
jump-2. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer Model/2. Accommodations
for UD to 80 individuals are available. There are 12 hardpoints
and 24 tons set aside for fire control; no weapons are initially
mounted. There are no ship's vehicles. Cargo capacity varies with
crew size; 34 tons are always available, plus 48 tons per person
not carried on board. The ship is streamlined.
The merchant requires a crew of six: pilot, four engineers, and
medic; retinues of these individuals can provide needed technicians,
gunners, servantlstewards, etc. A total of 74 family members or
passengers can be carried. The ship costs MCr 2322.1 8 (including
10% discount for standard designs) and takes 33 months to build.

Foe my brief time on a big ship in my service I would have killed for one of these...
So true. Apart from being new, they look so much more spacious. I say this completely without irony, sadly.
I am of the opinion that 4 tons is significantly smaller than they have any reason to be. Smaller quarters have some significant mental health issues, or cause them in most people.
That means the very nearly the entire Naval service, though at any given time, some are on shore duty and others are at sea, and the ratio varies by specialty. Now I'm not disagreeing that all sailors don't have mental health issues of one sort or another, but it often doesn't impede living a more or less normal life.

Nuclear submarine service would be the closest to serving in space, and what’s more the average Traveller ship sees port more often. That might be a better norm for warship ops.

Nuclear submarine service would be the closest to serving in space, and what’s more the average Traveller ship sees port more often. That might be a better norm for warship ops.
This is true, but a subject on which I know very little. And what I do know almost certainly wouldn't fly here. No one's even brought up two people sharing a bed in shifts, hotracking. Part of me is amused that wikipedia has an article on this, and a picture of a pre-Ford Navy berthing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_racking (Picture says that's CVN-71, USS Teddy Roosevelt.)

LBB5'80, p35:
Small craft staterooms allow sleeping and privacy at two tons each, Cr100,000. Such staterooms may allow double occupancy (each person has the facilities for half a day) on non-commercial flights.

I always chuckled when I read that ... it is a SMALL CRAFT (like a Launch) and you have installed a "Small Craft Stateroom" [SCS] in place of a "Small Craft Couch", and the pilot decides to increase revenue by allowing 2 passengers to share 1 "SCS" by each using the room for Half the time. So where exactly, on a small craft, does the passenger go and not use his SCS tonnage?

Let's slip on a VACC SUIT and cling to the outside for a while to admire the breathtaking views of the stars?

Let's slip on a VACC SUIT and cling to the outside for a while to admire the breathtaking views of the stars?
Why do I now have the mental image of someone reclining in a magnetic "dawn chair" stuck to the hull just outside the airlock ...? :unsure:

Catching some cosmic rays through the SPF 10,000 vacc suit ... :rolleyes:

I always chuckled when I read that ... it is a SMALL CRAFT (like a Launch) and you have installed a "Small Craft Stateroom" [SCS] in place of a "Small Craft Couch", and the pilot decides to increase revenue by allowing 2 passengers to share 1 "SCS" by each using the room for Half the time. So where exactly, on a small craft, does the passenger go and not use his SCS tonnage?

Sounds like a Pullman room with seating that converts to a bed, and fold down bed above.

dennisondepotpullman-97edit-683x1024.jpg

No good for a week, but workable for a night or two. 1 dton for the above, 1 for shared fresher.

Sounds like a Pullman room with seating that converts to a bed, and fold down bed above.

dennisondepotpullman-97edit-683x1024.jpg

No good for a week, but workable for a night or two. 1 dton for the above, 1 for shared fresher.
I always thought that those "railroad cars" were the idea behind the "Small Craft Staterooms" to begin with (Railroad Accommodations vs Steamship Accommodations for Commercial Travel).

It was the idea that you only used the space HALF the time that amused me ... like you could leave a moving train or a 30 dTon Ship's Boat mid journey while someone else was using your tonnage. That REALLY means that the 2 dTon SCS is a 1 dTon Cabin (50 sf) and another 1 dTon (50 sf) of "dining car/Lounge car/Coach" to accompany it. Otherwise it really CANNOT be shared by vacating the space (without that magnetic chair on the outside of the hull). ;)

If you look at cruise ship accommodations, most cabins are designed for 2-4 occupants, with a pair of twin beds and either a sofa-bed (for "outer" cabins or two Pullman-style fold down beds for "inside" cabins.

42767-crystal-symphony-deluxe-stateroom-with-veranda.jpg

200 - 300 square feet​

This is the lead-in size for most luxury lines, with a verandah, at about 50 square feet, additional. The accommodation will probably be referred to as a suite, although it actually means a room with a separate, but not separated, sleeping and living area. Expect a bathroom with a tub and separate shower cubicle (be sure to double check this if a bathtub, or indeed a walk-in shower, is important to you), a walk-in closet, and a living area bathed in light from the balcony, with a two person sofa and chairs, table and desk/vanity unit.
[Square footage explained: A guide to cruise ship cabin sizes]

That would be 4 dTons (200 sf) to 6 dTons (300 sf) shown in that picture ... so one or two people are locked in that room for a week (single or double occupancy on a starship). "Steward! I'd like another bottle of vodka and a refill on the ice bucket." [sigh] 😞

Perhaps a subtlety to consider-those navy crews are stuck in tin can cramped conditions, but they usually get better grub then most services.

I would argue this stems from a deliberate investment in what we would call Steward skill, to help with crew ‘happiness’ similar to positive effects with attracting passengers.

To make matters worse for some, My Little Ponies of Death require 4x the space humans do. And they do not use walls or doors, just curtains for separators. Could you make K'kree CT ships with 32 dTon staterooms?
Of course, and if I recall correctly there were some ships designed for K'Kree in the CT Alien books.

Of course, and if I recall correctly there were some ships designed for K'Kree in the CT Alien books.
CT AM2: K'kree pages 11-13, 25 and 27.
Merchant (p13): 6000 ton hull, J2/1G/PP2, MCr2322.18
Courier (p13): 6000 ton hull, J3/1G/PP3, MCr2997
Frigate (p13): 5000 ton hull, J1/3G/PP3, MCr2148

K'kree ships use LBB5.80 with some modifiers (p25 details) for the creation of K'kree starships, not LBB2.81 (they're just too big, by default, for LBB2.81 to make any sense).

42767-crystal-symphony-deluxe-stateroom-with-veranda.jpg

That would be 4 dTons (200 sf) to 6 dTons (300 sf) shown in that picture … so one or two people are locked in that room for a week (single or double occupancy on a starship). “Steward! I'd like another bottle of vodka and a refill on the ice bucket.” [sigh] 😞
Perhaps a holowall with a guest-selected theme of randomly generated scenery would help the hours pass more comfortably in high passage.

That, and a steward who knows what to stock up on for repeat customers.

Back