• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What would you like to see in a new Traveller Adventure?

As I began writing an campaign for the Traveller's Aide format, the thought occurred to me that I really don't know what people want to see in a Traveller adventure.

So here we go... In the 993 Gateway setting, what would you like to see in a T20 adventure? It can be characters, places, systems, plot twists, government, corporations, agencies, environments, pretty much anything.

I won't guarantee that I'll use any or all of the suggestions, but I will give credit where credit is due (assuming that MJD and the other Ancients accept what I write).

Paul Nemeth
AA

Originally posted by Antares Administration:
So here we go... In the 993 Gateway setting, what would you like to see in a T20 adventure? It can be characters, places, systems, plot twists, government, corporations, agencies, environments, pretty much anything.

Paul Nemeth
AA
Well Paul, my first comment would be to define what is unique about the Gateway setting in 993. I mean, if it isn't different in some way from say the Spinward Marches of 1105, then your adventure will just be a generic Traveller adventure.

My guess is that you aren't looking for generic, but rather something that builds on the Gateway sourcebook soon to be released. Further, I'll guess that you have some background info on this sourcebook as a contributor. If so, then you have the majority of us at a disadvantage.

But I'll take a stab anyway. What I see as being unique about Gateway, and therefore things that would make for interesting adventures, is the fact that most of the Gateway Domain isn't in the Imperium. Now many will quickly point out that this is similar to the Spinward Marches, which is also a border region, but Gateway DOESN'T have a large, unified, relatively alien society 'just over the border' (the Zhodani).

In working on the Starfall book (again, inside information others won't have), what struck me as new and novel was the grittiness of the region. No Imperial Navy just waiting to pounce on Merchants just considering illegal activities (quite the opposite). No vast Jump-1 chains of Class A starports and high population worlds where anyone can get by just doing their job.

Instead it was much more of a frontier without being backwater. People have to be independent and capable because there isn't some benevolent (IMTU the Imperium is a benevolent dictatorship, YMMV) social order to help old ladies across the street. This is great because it means the PC's will get to do what they want without having their elbow jogged by the authorities - of course it means the bad-guys (assuming the PC's aren't the bad guys) have the same advantage. It also means the PC's are likely to become important movers-and-shakers in their little piece of space.

So what does it mean to live 'over the border'. What does it mean to live just inside the border? What kind of jobs would one have? Is smuggling a big deal? If so, then is anti-smuggling a big deal too.

Does the Emperor care about the border? Without a cohesive threat like the Zho's, does anyone pay attention in Core? How do the local nobles feel about that? Further more, how do the non-Imperials politicos react to this?

I am sure the sourcebook has many of these answers. Pick a few, and you can base an entire campaign around them.

But the key is to make the PC's part of the picture, not just working against a backdrop. Let them be larger than life. Let them become part of the Gateway domain so it becomes something they uniquely own and can brag about their adventures the Lone Star Tavern. Look at all the grognard posts longing for the good ol' CT days in the Spinward Marches of 1105. I see Gateway as the first real step to generate that same nostalgia amongst a new generation of Travellers. The adventures for Gateway need to have this as their focus.

Sorry for the long post - once I have read the Gateway Book, I'll be more than happy to make more specific suggestions.

Originally posted by Smiling DM:

Sorry for the long post - once I have read the Gateway Book, I'll be more than happy to make more specific suggestions.
Thanks, Smiling DM, for your response. You pointed out what I glossed over in my enthusiasm. I don't need or want "Gateway 993"-specific input. I have lots of that already. I would, however, like to hear the generic sorts of things that players would like to see. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to find out what players and GMs like to see and do in their adventures. Don't worry about setting info that you don't have yet. If you like lots of non-humans, tell me you like lots of non-humans. If you like wilderness adventures or plot lines where the good guys come riding into the starport with white hats on, then tell me that.

If you had a chance to add something to an adventure, what would it be?

Paul Nemeth
AA

I kind of like exploration as a theme of an adventure, particularly when combined with the exploration of ancient ruins, and the uncovering of artifacts of lost civilizations. Perhaps throw in a few TL16 artifacts, including Intelligent Robots, Matter Transporters, Virtual Reality Simulators, New Alien races. Of the alien races, consider that not every new alien has to be a medium-sized humanoid. How about a race of giants that are 5 to 10 meters tall? Consider some of the unique worlds I mentioned in another thread For instance: something like Larry Niven's Smoke Ring. A gas torus with a breathable atmosphere orbiting a neutron star with a G-class star also orbiting it. How about a class of planet that's in between a gas giant and a terrestrial world? A Gas Subgiant would fit the bill, it is a small gas giant of twice the size of Earth, but half the gravity. The gas subgiant has a breathable atmosphere with Earth-like weather at the 1-bar level but no ground. Similar to Bespin in Star Wars V The Empire Strikes Back. I like the idea of a planet with a traversable wormhole in its center instead of a core. And finally how about a Rocheworld: that is two planets of equal mass orbiting so close that they share the same atmosphere.

What kinds of adventures or stories? How about...

1) "SF Noire" - The characters are ordinary beings with ordinary skills who must face extra-ordinary stuations while dealing with their own inner fears and doubts.

2) "SF Intelligence" - Undercover missions (such as pre-contact surveys of emerging cultures, industrial espionage in an ally's military-industrial complex, or infiltrating a criminal organization).

3) "Political SF" - The players rule a corporation, colony, country, or world with all the intrigue, compromising and backstabbing found in the real world.

In these or any other adventure themes, I'd like to see the SF elements taken for granted while the character interactions (the "role-playing") are emphasised.

Keklas said,
1) "SF Noire" - The characters are ordinary beings with ordinary skills who must face extra-ordinary stuations while dealing with their own inner fears and doubts.

2) "SF Intelligence" - Undercover missions (such as pre-contact surveys of emerging cultures, industrial espionage in an ally's military-industrial complex, or infiltrating a criminal organization).

3) "Political SF" - The players rule a corporation, colony, country, or world with all the intrigue, compromising and backstabbing found in the real world.

In these or any other adventure themes, I'd like to see the SF elements taken for granted while the character interactions (the "role-playing") are emphasised.
Great ideas. How about combining them with one of my planetary settings. I'm partial to the gas subgiant with the Standard Breathable Atmosphere?

2) "SF Intelligence" I liked the movie "Where Eagles Dare" This mission rescue a General or Scientist who was captured by the enemy and is under interrigation. Instead of a mountain redoubt, the action takes place on a grav levitated compound floating the in atmosphere. Commando's try to sneak in and effect the rescue.

By coincidence of of the player characters looks just like the ruler of a gas sub giant world. Beneath the breathable and inhabitable layers of the atmosphere mining operations of a valuable gas are ongoing. The government is a high tech feudal monarchy with a monarch who has many cousins, brothers, and relatives who want his job. There has been several assasination attempts already, but the authorities haven't discovered who is responsible yet. Naturally the PC in question will be asked to temporarily take the rules place. the prize, ownership of a brand new starship free and clear; the hazard, the PC will be the target of future assasination attempts while the rest of the party with the help of government officials searches out the assasin. In the process their will be made chases and duels in the clouds of this planet.

Originally posted by Keklas Rekobah:
What kinds of adventures or stories? How about...

I agree with above.

A patron (goverment) contracts your group to do undercover missions would be best for me.

Under the heading of "What I Meant When I Said...":

"Undercover" - Becoming a part of an organization, yet keeping loyal to the patron, as an industrial spy for instance.

"Covert" - Enter, survey, and leave without leaving any evidence or creating any witnesses. The US Navy Seal and Army Special Ops teams have refined this activity to the highest degree.

"Role-Playing" - Assuming the persona of the character, and interacting with other caharacters through that persona.

Maybe I have these backwards from the dictionary definitions, but that's what I intended.

My motivation for these mission types is that there are too many adventures are smash-and-grab rescue missions - with very little sublety or role-playing - and too many player characterizations are little more than cultural stereotypes or Schwarzenegger wannabees.

Under the heading of "What I Meant When I Said...":

"Undercover" - Becoming a part of an organization, yet keeping loyal to the patron, as an industrial spy for instance.
That sort of undercover usually involves a traitor within the organization. This is what is refered to as deep undercover. A local within the organization is pursuaded to betray his employer often with the inducement of money or some other reward. Otherwise the agent spends many years trying to worm his way into the organization and then work his way up into the upper ranks and then betray them. Its hard for a PC to do the second, the first is best reserved for an NPC, the PC would be the one doing the bribing, and he would never know who it is the NPC is really working for until the very end

I agree that the adventure should reward stealth and avoidance of combat. I prefer those types of adventures. Certainly, combat can't always be avoided, and if you screw up your stealth mission, it should be a logical outcome. But there need to be more adventures that encourage the avoidance of combat, and reward the successful completion of that type of mission.

And by combat, I mean a big, loud, attention-grabbing firefight. If the PCs have to take out a few people quietly along the way while conducting their mission, that's OK. If they can complete it without killing anyone, that's even better. But the avoidance of running gunbattles and large-scale firefights should be paramount.

Deep cover would be an excellent long-term adventure, taking place over many game years (if not real years).

A "Traitor in the ranks" would be a form of "Deep Cover", with the traitor being one of the PC's in the party or the PC can replace a pre-established look-alike NPC.

Don't be too ready to dismiss an idea - I've tried each of mine before I submitted them. They do involve a little more imagination, improvisation, and just plain old effort to make them work, but each of the ideas I presented beats another "Gunfight at the OK Spaceport" adventure - the type that we used to call "Hack and Sack" in the FRPG's.

Here are some of the adventure types that I would NOT like to see more of:

- "Rescue the victim of a kidnapping or wrongful arrest."
- "Find the lost or stolen artifact."
- "Transport valuable cargo or important person(s) through hostile territory."
- "Raid the pirate base."

Or their complementary types:

- "Kidnap or be kidnapped; arrest or be arrested."
- "Lose or steal an artifact.
- "Be transported through hostile territory, or make the territory hostile to transport."
- "Defend the pirate base, or defend the base from pirates."

RANT ALERT: These adventure type have become almost cliche' in every RPG group I've been in! There is too much emphasis on die rolls and consulting tables! There is not enough emphasis on creativity and too much emphasis on mechanics! Where's my smeggin pizza?! Traveller is more about role-playing than dice rolling! PC's are not just statistics on a piece of paper, they're People (or whatever), albeit fictional people! ranrantrant.... ;)

Originally posted by Antares Administration:
[QB] As I began writing an campaign for the Traveller's Aide format, the thought occurred to me that I really don't know what people want to see in a Traveller adventure.

So here we go... In the 993 Gateway setting, what would you like to see in a T20 adventure?
[QB]
First things first: do you own a copy of MTJ 4? If not, buy it now. It is all that exists for real canon on this area.

Beyond that, do you have an idea of how to make a predator (ie humans) _fear_ a herbavor (ie the K'kree)? If not, start over as they are the only known real enemy in this domain.

The difficulty with this area of the Imperium is that it's much like re-writing DnD3 by deciding there are no elves. WTF do you do now?

Good luck, dude. You'll need it. OTOH, if you pull it off, I'll kill to be at the head of the line to purchase it. I doubt I'm alone...;'>

Take this mixture as you will...

William

First off, thanks everyone for your feedback so far. :D

I'm not going to give away any plot details, but I will say that I like a lot of what I'm reading here so far. I think you'll like what I'm laying out.

Canon is something that I'm coming to grips with as we speak. If anyone has any other references that they think should be considered, please mention them.

Please keep the discussion coming. I think there are a few writers out there who should benefit from this input.

Thanks again,

Paul Nemeth
AA

I agree that the adventure should reward stealth and avoidance of combat. I prefer those types of adventures. Certainly, combat can't always be avoided, and if you screw up your stealth mission, it should be a logical outcome. But there need to be more adventures that encourage the avoidance of combat, and reward the successful completion of that type of mission.
Avoidance of combat is normally easy, all you have to do is avoid the adventure. The way it works is this way. You roll up your character, you buy your equipment and then you look for a job. Lets say you decide to become a lawyer. You go up to a law firm and you go to the interview. Someone says stick em up and you give him your wallet. You go back home and you get another wallet and you go to the interview. You get the job. You seek out the boringest jobs possible as a divorce lawyer. It turns out that the husband of the client you represent is an ex-marine with a laser rifle and he doesn't like you and is also inclined to take direct action against you. After he fires a few shots at you, you run away and go to the hospital to get your wounds treated. You also look for another client because working for her has turned out to be too dangerous.

^ Right on the mark, Tom!

I agree with the exploration and discovery theme. Life on the frontier, uncovering the mysteries of universe, dark secrets in dark places, bizarre astronomical phenomenon, etc. The PC's learn things no human has ever known, all the while making them feel very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure we all are familiar with classic Trek; those type adventures would surely be welcome. There are to many non-genre specific adventures already available.

Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
Avoidance of combat is normally easy, all you have to do is avoid the adventure. The way it works is this way. You roll up your character, you buy your equipment and then you look for a job. Lets say you decide to become a lawyer. You go up to a law firm and you go to the interview. Someone says stick em up and you give him your wallet. You go back home and you get another wallet and you go to the interview. You get the job. You seek out the boringest jobs possible as a divorce lawyer. It turns out that the husband of the client you represent is an ex-marine with a laser rifle and he doesn't like you and is also inclined to take direct action against you. After he fires a few shots at you, you run away and go to the hospital to get your wounds treated. You also look for another client because working for her has turned out to be too dangerous.
I guess I didn't explain myself fully. Avoidance of large-scale combat within the context of the adventure. The PCs have been hired to break into a facility and either steal something/someone, or leave behind something/someone. On this type of mission, the avoidance of a big firefight is desirable. You don't want anyone to know you were there if you can help it.

I'm not adverse to firefights in adventures. It's just an interesting challenge, and something that's different from the usual adventure, to actually work to try to avoid the firefight. If someone messes up and the guards/whole facility is alerted, then you're probably going to have to blast your way out.

Ever watch those James Bond Movies? All of those movies have one thing in common, do you know what that is? James Bond can never stay undercover for long. Within the first 30 minutes of the movie his cover is always blow and every criminal in the underworld knows about James Bond, there is something about this formula that seems to work for the audience otherwise there wouldn't have been so many Bond films. Now imagine another James Bond film, if this film everything goes right for James Bond, his mission is successful and the Bad guys are none the wiser until its too late for them. Sounds boring doesn't it? On the otherhand did you every watch the Old Mission Impossible television series? In this you have a team of operatives working together on some mission, they sneek around and pull the wool over some bad guys eyes, getting them to make some crucial mistake and then the hammer falls. The first Mission impossible Movie, turned this team into a pack of traders leaving only one person left to be the star, he is more or less an American James Bond and has little to do with the original TV series except the name. The thing about deep cover assignments is that the agen is usually alone and the bad guy's forces are overwhelming.
One difficult thing for the Referee to adjudicate is exactly how suspicious the bad guys are of the PCs. Does the Referee play the bad guys as gullible and stupid, making the adventure not much of a challenge or are the bad guys extremely clever and perceptive in essence knowing just about everything the referee knows. Perhaps a die role is involved in determining whether the ruse is successful or not. Once the cover is blown, the mission has ended, the PC then has to get himself out of there quickly. Usually in spying, your first mistake is your last, that is the difficulty with a spying adventure, their is no recovery path once your mission is blown. in an action adventure, some combats don't go as well as others, but you often can make up for them further down the line.

May I humbly suggest that a "Caper" movie might make a more suitable template than a "Bond" one? Careful research and planning required of the PCs, along with an absolute necessity to avoid LARGE SCALE conflict. Shooting the guard with a tranq round is one thing, but rolling a grenade into the lobby to 'create a distraction' will only attract more security goons than the PCs can possibly deal with. There should be enough interesting twists to keep the players happy, without deviating too far from the Ref's vision.

Originally posted by Zutroi:
Shooting the guard with a tranq round is one thing, but rolling a grenade into the lobby to 'create a distraction' will only attract more security goons than the PCs can possibly deal with.
That is, unless your letting them play Neo & Co. or a Tetragrammaton Cleric

There was a reason why the show was called "Mission Impossible" Everything had to go as planned, there was very little leeway for things to go wrong. In a combat mission, you have a number of engagements. Sometimes the enemy is tougher that you planned, sometimes your just unlucky, these are times when a tactical retreat is called for, you regroup and you reengage the enemy when you are better prepared. That's your typical combat oriented adventure. In a Spy Mission, one of your characters is posing as "Mr X", so long as the bad guys think you are "Mr X", you can accomplish your mission, but once the bad guys realize you are not "Mr X" you can do one of two things, get out of there real fast or call in for reinforcements, you might even kill the bad guys, but you won't accomplish your mission. As far as gathering intel or whatever, the mission was a failure although you've gained some combat experience, you'll never be able to convice the bad guys that you are once again "Mr X". A science fiction universe offers some assistance that wouldn't exist in the Modern world. In Traveller there is cloning. What if your character is a clone of one of the bad guys? All the clone PC would have to do is learn something of the bad guy he is a clone of and then kidnap the bad guy so you can replace him. This is good for only one adventure as your character was "made" especially for this mission. I'm assuming that human clones can be grown quickly of course. I don't know whether their is brain taping in Traveller. If so, then one can clone an imposter to be the perfect spy.

Back