• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

INSIDE - The Type S Scout/Courier

far-trader

SOC-14 10K
Preamble:

This posting came about after participating in a couple related topics. While many experienced players and GM's may not find much useful data here some of the fresh faces might.

In the post below, played out as a short feature article of the INS (Imperial News Service, not to be confused with the TNS, that other so called news service ;) ) I have used some shorthand and assume you have the T20 rule-book. While specific to T20 it should be no trouble to adapt to any traveller system.

The shorthand I'm using here is the description of the ships electronics. That is (in T20) the computer core, avionics, sensors and communications. I note the configurations as "Model XXXXa note". Each X is the number value in order for the model of computer, avionics, sensors and communications. The a designates the type of electronics, s for standard, b for bis and f for fib. If more than a radio is installed for communications that is noted after the model number as MasX or MesX for Maser and Meson respectively with the X noting the model number.

The descriptive of the layout is from my finally (more or less) done deckplans here , a retake of Bryan Gibson's version of the Type S deckplans. This developed because I didn't like parts of his deckplan vision so I went to work and tried to more accurately portray the component volume using his Type S profiles and interior life sketches of the main corridor and ships galley, which I do very much like. It took this long to get it up 'cause the work somehow went missing from my drive (luckily I had printed out one of the versions). After sitting for months waiting for the book I was about ready to go back to it when Scarecrow said he was going to do some work on the old CT Scout so I'm kinda waiting to see that, and now there is a miniature coming soon so I may have to adapt the description just a bit depending on what they come up with for official deckplans. It should be close though since I'm using the available views and all as my guide.

The post below should serve as a good guide for what you'll see but since someone is bound to ask here's a short key:

The red grid is standard 1.5m scale.

The light purple is the hull outline, showing the turret at the rear. The grey shaded areas are half-height spaces. The white voids in some of the walls are access plates for repair and maintenance.

The object outside the hull is the T20 standard stretch air/raft. It is open topped with four seats and cargo space behind. The dark grey squares are small cargo crates.

1 - Bridge. Four of the five workstations are here. The dark blocks are the computer interface controls and are half-height. Access to the bridge is through an iris hatch.

2 - Commons. The light blue on the wall in the center is a display panel and above it is an iris hatch to the top of the hull. In the upper corner is the autonutrimat and the small closet galley, accessed by a sliding door. Across from the galley is the round table and bench seating. Additional seating requires using stateroom chairs. To the aft of the commons, past the staterooms is a manual hatch to engineering.

3 - Staterooms. Standard model with fresher (F), two beds (bunk) and two chairs and a table (fold away, shown in port stateroom). Each stateroom has a standard display panel by the door. The three staterooms on the starboard side are connected by sliding doors.

4 - Electronics Bays. Shown in the decommissioned form with the starboard bay housing the standard model/1bis and the port bay empty.

5 - Engineering. In this area is the jump drive (J), fusion power plant (P), the fifth workstation, and the void where the fuel purifier (dashed outline) once was. To the aft are the twin manuver thrusters (M), and two engineering lockers (L). Between these is the overhead iris hatch to the turret.

6 - Modular Mission Bay. This area is accessed by two sets of double wide sliding hatches and has two seperate lifts in the floor.

7 - Vehicle Bay. Typically used for the standard stretch air/raft. Access is through a double wide sliding hatch, standard iris hatch from the cargo bay, or the full size overhead hatch.

8 - Cargo Bay. Rated for 3tons of cargo with a double wide sliding hatch.

9 - Air-Lock. Exterior access is through either the double wide sliding hatch to the rear or the standard manual hatch in the floor. Interior access is through a manual hatch to port or double wide sliding hatch to starboard.

G - Landing Gear. Only the rear are shown, with access through maintenance panels in the back of the lockers. The forward landing gear are below the bridge.

Finally, with the standard IMTU caveat, I present (dare I lable it part one?) an "INSIDE" reporter's view behind the scenes of the IISS...

Imperial News Service In Depth Essay 0110

INSIDE the IISS - a close look at the ubiquitous Type S Scout/Courier

While many travellers have seen the inside of what they believe was an IISS Scout ship, they have in all likelihood actually been in the stripped down version. These ships are allocated to ex-Scouts of merit as part of that services detached duty program or occasionally available for purchase as surplus assets. In both cases the craft is always old and missing many of its service fittings.

The Type S encountered by other than active service Scouts is technically as detailed in public files but the data tells only a small part of the story. For those who have never been aboard one the single most important thing to note is that the listed 20.0 dT of cargo capacity is perhaps misleading. It is not an actual single large cargo hold ready for loading crates, but a few discrete areas left empty after stripping service mission specific equipment. Just a friendly warning for any would be fledgling traders looking to buy one in a surplus auction. Specifically the differences by area are as follows.

The Electronics Bays - Port and starboard amidships are two 1.0 dT electronics bays for the ships computers, avionics, sensors and communications. Access is very tight and through service panels in the aft staterooms. This and the low cieling of about 1.5m limits the usefulness for cargo. In active service there are a few specific configurations but before decommissioning a standard Model 1111b is installed in either the port or starboard bay, leaving one bay open for other use. It can make a nice observation bubble if properly furnished and fitted with a viewport and a hatch in place of the access panel. In service both bays are always filled with electronics. The standard is either the Model 1111b fib costing Mcr 8.0 or the Model 2122s Mas1 costing Mcr 8.2. Two other models, the Survey Model 3132s costing Mcr 11.1 and the Messenger Model 4123s costing Mcr 14.4 are also commonly employed.

The Engineering Bay - Situated in the middle of the engineering section in the aft half of the ship is a 7.0 dT volume normally outfitted with a fuel purifier to allow wilderness refueling. This is a fairly useful space when empty as it has direct access to the airlock immediately aft and is a single large area. Most owners would be well advised to acquire a surplus purifier if going off the beaten track, especially as the refit is very easy since all the plumbing is still in place. The location of the bay also makes it a natural area for engineering upgrades such as more power. Owners should be cautious if shipping cargo in this area as the proximity to the drives could be dangerous, for the goods and the ship.

The Modular Mission Bay - Just aft of the accommodations section, on the port side of the engineering section, is a single open 8.0 dT volume with a full lift hatch through the ventral hull. This area is meant to be loaded with one of the mission specific modules the Scout service uses to allow quick configuration of a Type S for any of several missions. The modules may be used while loaded or deployed on planet in stand-alone mode. There are modules for survey, research, experiment, and communications to name a few as well as a double stateroom module for extra crew or to serve as a remote base. This is the most useful space on both the service model and decommissioned versions which can use it as is for cargo since the mission modules are based on standard cargo containers. The bay is 3m wide by 3m high and 12m long. Access is through two 3m wide cargo hatches, centered in the forward and aft 6m of the long side.

The Vehicle/Cargo Bay - Mirroring the modular mission bay described above this area houses the Scout ship's standard air-raft in the foreward 7.5m and up to 3.0 dT of cargo in the aft 4.5m. The space is only slightly less useful for cargo than that opposite since exterior access is through a dorsal hatch sized for the air-raft. The cargo locker may be accessed by a personnel iris hatch to the vehicle area and is also designed to serve as an airlock to the vehicle area. Primary access to the vehicle area and cargo locker mirrors the Modular Mission Bay above.

The Turret - Above the aft half of the engineering section is the 1.0 dT volume set aside for installing weapons in the standard double turret. While in service the Scout may be equipped with two lasers, two launchers or a mix. The launchers are often used for launching remote probes. In place of weapons grade lasers mining lasers are typically mounted and used for geological surveys. Most active service Type S ships encountered will have one of each or nothing. Of course when decommissioned there will be no weapons included and the 1.0 dT may be used for whatever purpose the owner chooses though access is very limited, being a standard cieling iris hatch.

So as I said these spaces do add up to the listed 20.0 dT of cargo, or 25.0 dT if the air-raft is eliminated, but as you can now see some of that volume is of less than ideal use for serious cargo hauling.

INSIDE freelance reporter J. B. Leinad, IISS-DD

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll keep it short...

You might be waiting a while for my wedge Scout plans as I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Nice piece btw =)

=(

Crow

Hi Scarecrow, I thought the mention might elicit an update. No worries, it takes as long as it takes, genius can't be rushed
Perhaps I'll get my act together and slap up my less than masterful version for general derision ;)

Thanks for the nod, 'preciate it for any small measure I can give back to the game and those who have given to my own game.

I agree that the scout type j is stripped out. In my game I issued a fully outfitted scout to the players for a military mission. It had more power plants, a dispersed avionics suite, and a towed sensor array like todays submarines have. By using the fire/fusion rules the towed array gave the scout a synthetic aperture array that could not be built in a ship 4 times it's size. Because of the redundant design, and towed array, it would be classified, and it capabilities consealed from the general public. By the way I also fitted it with a large amount of batteries, so that it could shut down it's power plants, and go silent. By shutting down the power plants it's energy signature would be minimal to other sensor arrays. I will try to dig up the plans that I have in Visio and send them to you.

dalex@spawar.navy.mil

Very nice piece.
I have seen many peoples deck plans of scouts, but have never thought of using a towed array! That actually makes sense, to get the sensors away from the ships own interference.
The only thing that worries me about the deckplans that the link goes to is the way the the air/raft has to go thru the cargo bay to get out. I fhte cargo bay is full, then it can't go,and if you want to be able to use it, then the cargo room can't all be used.
I'll have to dig thru all my old traveller stuff. I believe that the type 's' canonised deck plans has 3 levels, making situating everything easier. I love the exterior views, and the interior views, very nice work.

Hello fellow Travellers,

I like the idea of batteries for any military ship, but doesn't the Capacitors for the Jump Drive kinda work the same way? I mean if you can use to power after using your Black Globe, then shouldn't you be able to charge them up & use them to power your ship in other situations?

Originally posted by El Darbo:
The only thing that worries me about the deckplans that the link goes to is the way the the air/raft has to go thru the cargo bay to get out. If the cargo bay is full, then it can't go,and if you want to be able to use it, then the cargo room can't all be used.
I noticed that, too. I'd put in an access hatch to the outside either on top or on bottom of the ship. Probably on top, gives more clearance when exiting the ship.

Hi yourself Legate Legion.

I'm pretty sure the rules for using jump capacitors as the energy sink for a black globe required that the energy be used in the next turn or you risked an explosion. They are high capacity fast discharge, and mirror the input energy exactly as I recall. This makes them unusable as is for most typical battery operations such as silent running. On the other hand I figure all ships incorporate a minimal battery power supply backup sufficient for emergency power. Something on the order of minimal light, heat and computer for a few hours.

Something I've done on ships I've designed of late is to put the ship's vehicle into a central bay that lowers on a lift. Kind of like the way the APC drops out of the Drop Ship in ALIENS. I usually factor in access space around the vehicle aswell as workshop space. The only thing to watch out for is a clear path to drive away from under the ship - ie, no landing gears or loading ramps in the way.
Equally, in the cargo bay, I always factor in space for narrow walkways between the stacks of cargo.

Crow

Well I'm finally pretty happy with my deckplan (the layout, not the art :rolleyes: yet ;) ). The bad news is to stay as close as possible to the T20 references I had to alter my description above just a bit. The good news is it let me give the write up a little more polish at the same time. So if you're interested in the changes just scroll up. Thanks again (and in advance) for any kind remarks or critiques.

I look forward to seeing your plans. Sorry I am a little slow on response time, but as for batteries in my design. I outfitted the ship with 6 tons of TL11 batteries. With the upgraded sensors and commo gear the ship has a power requirement of 12EP (T20 rules). With 25000 batteries per ton, 1EP per battery. You have enough battery power for manuver, lifesupport, and sensors for 8.3 days of power. I had a spec of 7 days in mind when I was designing. You could get more with some close power rationing. I am working on setting up a web site to post my plans and data sheets to, will keep you posted.

Hey all, thanks for the feedback and interest! A couple points...

First, as you were last
Pockets, sorry to perhaps disappoint. I didn't mean to be a tease, but the deckplans may be a while. I got the go ahead to spin them into a potential Travellers Aide, if it meets muster. If that falls through they'll go up here :D

Next, I don't want anyone thinking I'm stealing ideas, and I'm trying hard to keep my own ideas and yours seperate but there are some that are naturally close.

For example the towed array idea is a good one I was saving for possible use later. I didn't really see it as a Type S item, at least not standard, (your secret is safe Pockets ;) ). Though, looking at the art again the aft dome could easily be a retracted boom, especially with its slight offset. My first thought when I saw the art was that is was a static discharge probe, and that's still my best guess.

I do agree the air-raft access in the original posted/linked deckplan is less than optimal, but it could be the raft was an after thought. Not so in my design, but its a big Imperium.

As for the old wedgie, I (and Scarecrow, among others) have a big problem with those extra decks above and below. They just don't fit! With a little luck and patience from us Scarecrow will find the time and inspiration to render a rational wedgie. If it doesn't drive him nuts first

Hmm, back to Pockets, the first that was last is last again
I get slightly different numbers for the batteries, close though with about 7.3 days. I think, if I did the math right. I rushed it and didn't check it or even write it down. But darn you I'm tempted to figure it out as a module and steal it for a stealth model I need
file_23.gif
What'll it cost me :(

Originally posted by El Darbo:
Very nice piece.
<snip>
Thanks El Darbo, I just re-read your post and wanted to make sure everybody understands the linked material is not mine but Bryan Gibson's. I'm sure no such mistakes were made but I worry

Feel free to use any of my ideas any way you guys want. I develop stuff for fun now. Not many players in my area, working on it though. I am working on setting up a web site for you guys to see my plans. They are in Visio, so let me know what format is best for you, .jpg , .bmp , or what. The details come out best in Visio, and the viewer is free from MS.

FarTrader,
I think I messed up on my calcs for the batteries. I used 1000 lv per ton. Should have used 1350 lv.
I am working on a transitional deckplan from classified naval scout, to scout/courier, to seeker will post as soon as I can. And you are right, it is not a normal scout, but a Navy variant that has the towed array.

The link doesn't lead to a file.

FWIW I've done a set of Scout deckplans that fit within the scout hull depicted in the THB.
iconst20scout.png

http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/traveller/

Per your suggestions & writeup at the beginning of this thread (which I like very much) additional avionics, fuel plant, mission specific modules, etc. would fit quite handily in that huge cargo bay that runs from side to side of the ship.

Also, check out Peter Vernon's site which includes free and far traders based on this hull from the T20 playtest book:
t20freetrader.gif

http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/traveller/peter

Hey, FT I've been working on my Scout model/plans again recently and I dug up this old thread. How's this project going?

Scarecrow

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Hey, FT I've been working on my Scout model/plans again recently and I dug up this old thread. How's this project going?

Scarecrow
Hi Scarecrow, I saw you resurface and noted you're gonna tackle the wedgie, good news!

As for my own projects, this and others, major snag. My computers are in full revolt
file_28.gif
Lost files, emails, a real mess. I'm working on restoring everything for the second time in as many months and still haven't nailed the root cause (hardware, software, wetware ;) )

Disappointingly I was unable to complete my proposed work for a Scout's TA and the assignment has gone to another eager author/designer, who I wish the best to. At least they are another Canuck :D (who says we ain't got partriotism
)

So, since it won't appear in said TA I guess I'll try to post it here and elsewhere for free use and critique shortly.

I had been using the idea of a towed sensor array since I read Tom Clancy's SSN (or Submarine - can't remember which). If you get a chance, check it out. It's the closest thing we have right now to the kind of starships in Traveller. I also use the idea of Energy Banks - energy stored just in case of plant failure. Not soething you can use long-term, but enough to get you out of a tight spot. Something else I got was the idea of Pin Mines. Very small containers of anti-matter (or some other very VERY strong explosive) but only about the size of a shotgun shell. Toss about 500 of those behind you when you are being followed and if they don't damage the pursuer, I'm sure they would light up a sensor system awful nasty.

Later,

Scout

Back