• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ultra High Tech Jumps

Came up with this a while back and decided to post it here.

Below is a proposed Tech 16+ Jump Drive progression. I know MT has something, but I don't have MT and from what I have been able to decypher, they "Broke" the basic assumptions of the Jump Drive by allowing less than 10% fuel for jumps etc.

OK, basic assumptions and discussions, then the table (there is only one).

Basic Jump theory predicts 6 levels of Hyperspace. This theory has lead 3I scientist to coin the phrase "Jump 6 Limit". However, there is one clear violation of current Jump Theory that, do date, cannot be explained: Mis-Jumps.

Somehow, even the weakest and smallest Jump Drive can produce, under rare and dangerous circumstances, a jump of up to 36 parsecs. Damage to the Drive and other internal systems are common for the few instances where people have survived these Mis-Jumps.

At TL 16, scientists finally begin to unscramble the Hyperspace Theory. While the J6 limit is still in place, the ability to produce jumps using much less energy (Hydrogen) becomes a reality. At higher Tech Levels, the fundemental nature of the Mis-Jump (and Jump Space in general) becomes much better understood.

So, here is my proposal for Ultra High TL Jump Drives:

TL 16: Jump 1-6 is possible with only a Jump 1 engine and Jump 1 fuel (10% of ship's volume). Computer requirements are one Model number higher than the jump being attempted. So, Model/7 computers are required for a J6 attempt.

Normal Mis-Jump rules still apply.

TL 17: Jump 1-12 becomes possible, again using a J-1 engine and 10% fuel. Computer Model A is required.

TL-18: Jump 1-36 is possible with a J-1 Engine and 10% fuel. Model D computer is required.

The following Table gives the Volume and Cost for the Tech Levels:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">TL Volume Cost/Tn Max Jump Min Computer
16 2% 4.0 6 7
17 1.5% 3.0 12 A
18 1% 2.0 36 D
</pre>[/QUOTE]Model/A+ computers are linear continuations of the existing Computer Tables.

If you are using a LBB1-3 type of game with computer programs. I would control this technology with a special computer program required, in addition to the normal Jump-1 thru Jump-6 program that would allow controlled mis-jumps.

Suggested Programs:

Controlled Mis-Jump/1: Size: 5 Cost: 10MCR
This program allows the computer to use a Jump-1 field to allow jumps of up to 6 parsecs. Available at TL 16.

Controlled Mis-Jump/2: Size: 10 Cost: 20MCR
This program allows the computer to use a Jump-1 field to allow jumps of up to 12 parsecs. Available at TL 17.

Controlled Mis-Jump/3: Size: 20 Cost: 30MCR
This program allows the computer to use a Jump-1 field to allow jumps of up to 36 parsecs. Available at TL 18.

Consequences of this Technology:

1. Massive Retrofit of Ships
Almost immediately, all ships would upgrade their computers and replace their Jump Drives to take advantage of the lower costs and improved internal space. Military ships might still have J-2+ engines installed for redundancy and continued performance following battle damage. Now, a Jump Drive -1 battle damage roll would destroy your Jump capability.

2. Abandoned Worlds
Since basically every ship would be capable of Jump6, many of the backwater and marginal worlds would be abandoned. If the only thing keeping a population on a world was catering to the traders moving through and now those traders could jump right past their system, there is no need for them to exist any more. This would be similar to when the Train was introduced on Earth. Prior to that, many of the main roads had an Inn or such spaced about a days travel on foot apart. When the train came along, most of those Inns died. However, counteracting this would be the fact that jump just became a lot cheaper, so some worlds that might have been isolated by their location could not be profitably exploited.

3. Imperial Research Station
The Third Imperium maintains a Research Station on Retinae, just outside the Darrian Confederation. Lets see, Darrian supposedly achieved TL16 before their fall. Guess what this Research Station is looking into?????

Using these alternate rules does NOT break anything in Classic Traveller. It gives reasonable extensions of current (3I) technology and gives the Referee something to throw at the players. By limiting TL16 to J6, I don't allow the "Galaxy Spanning Drive the Size of a Walnut" to be had just 1 TL above the Imperium. I figure that the Jump Six Limit is very similar to what the TL9 societies had with Jump 1. It took 2 TLs to develop Jump-2. This is a similar paradym shift and advance in technology.

Feel free to use/ignore/abuse as you see fit.

I like it

Here's the progression I've used in the past (and it is based on the MT numbers sort of ;) )
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Jump TL drive Fuel Required
1-6 16- 1+J % 10% per jump no.
1-12 17 1+J/2 % 8% per jump no/2 round up
1-18 18 1+J/3 % 6% per jump no/3 round up
1-24 19 1+J/4 % 4% per jump no/4 round up
1-30 20 1+J/5 % 2% per jump no/5 round up
1-36 21 1+J/6 % 1% per jump no/6 round up</pre>[/QUOTE]

I thought about going in groups of 6 like you did, but I just have this dislike of going above TL 19.

I invoke Clarke's Rule* for anything TL20+, so I try to stop at TL 19.

Also, I didn't want to break the 10% of ship's volume for Jump Fuel rule. I have played with lowering jump fuel since the very beginning, but in my grey-haired days, I have come to appreciate the fuel restriction more and more. I have also liked the idea of controlling mis-jumps (lost a couple of characters because of that one...) so I figure that is a natural for the next area of Jump Drive developement.

I also figured that it wasn't so much a change to the drive as it was how the drive field was controlled, so I used the computer rules more than the Jump Drive rules.

* Clarke's Rule: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I have run in past campaigns that the J-drive progression does continue past TL 15, so you get J-7 at TL 16, J-8 at TL 17, etc. In order to account for the sheer volume requirements of the J-fuel, I assumed that at TL 16+ they began using antimatter to power up the jump capacitors, but kept using hydrogen for maneuvering and power plant until about TL 18, where antimatter usage becomes more efficient.

In later years, I realized that increasing J-distance changes the interstellar dynamic of the Imperioverse. Let's assume you can trigger up to J-9 controlled misjumps at TL 16, which the Imperium is getting close to. (Some member worlds even have that TL.) What are the implications?

Not so much at a J-9 limit - it'd take 6 months to reach Capital from Regina instead of 12.

But if you go to J-12 or J-18, that 140 parsecs becomes a few weeks' journey. At J-18, jumping once per 10 days for refuelling and maintenance, Capital-Regina is a 75-day trip. At J-6, it takes that long to cross the Spinward Marches. </font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">(40 parsecs / 6 parsecs/Jump x 10 days/Jump ~= 70 days)</pre>[/QUOTE]What did I do about it, then? I made the energy requirement to enter J-space go down after TL 15. There's still a J-6 limit imposed by some inexplicable madness of J-space physics, but it becomes more efficient to jump.

Navigational capability also increases, allowing ships to safely jump closer than 100D.

TL Fuel Savings Min. Safe J-distance
16 10% 90D
17 20% 80D
18 30% 70D
19 40% 60D

or something like that. It's been years since I dug out those files, so I don't remember. I do remember that the TL 18 ship the party got ahold of could, with J-6 tanks and an LSP Jump Governor (PARANOIA Press domahitchie that halved fuel consumption), make 18 parsecs on a full fuel load. Still took 'em 3 weeks, but it was FAST.

They usually used the additional fuel capacity as a guard against misjumps. Something about that alien drive worried them, I think. Or maybe it was because they lived my signature file.
file_23.gif

Interesting concepts, all!

My take is that after TL-15, other technologies start to become available that either make the current jump technology WAY more efficient and/or enable a jump of a huge distance via a jump tunnel (kind of like what was in the T4 "Long Way Home" adventure).

That way, you can introduce a "big jump" tech (but also with some kind of penalties for the speed), but still retain the existing technologies without having to make your own tables. ;)

TL19 software: MisJump Governor. Spaces: 8 Cost: huge. Allows controlled misjumps up to 36 parsecs. This software will be in ACT, although I doubt OTU characters will be able to ever find it.

MT made JFuel at TL 9-16 = 5x drive volume
TL17 and up reduce the multipliers for fuel, but provided no longer jumps; the J6 limit is a significant part of the setting concept of CT, and carried forward.

Easy way to get rid of Jump fuel - use a Zero Point Energy Reactor. They are talking 7 to 20 kilowatts of power per meter - not sure what that equates to. That could be a new idea at TL-16+. I've been working on writing this up as an alternative to fusion power.

Zero Point Energy

Originally posted by princelian:
I have run in past campaigns that the J-drive progression does continue past TL 15, so you get J-7 at TL 16, J-8 at TL 17, etc.

In later years, I realized that increasing J-distance changes the interstellar dynamic of the Imperioverse.
This is how I work it. I always ignored the artificial J6 limit. From HG, there is a natural limit at J8, since at J9 the fuel requirements leave no room for payload.
The misjumps show what is possible (for small drives), but technology still only creeps forward one jump per TL, as in Princellian's quote. At TL17 experimental J8 AM drives lead to a J9 AM economy at TL18.
I can't figure a rationale for a sudden leap in jump capability at TL 15, but I could perhaps accept one at TL 18, when AM creates a breakthrough in engineering design.
Another angle could be that technology *never* catches up with misjump - what if you make misjump limit equal to J squared? A misjump into an empty hex only 1pc from civilization could still be fatal. Hmm, I quite like that one...

I like all the ideas, but I keep getting stuck on the idea of a J-1 engine, using only 10% fuel, able to jump 36 parsecs, at TL 9. It just seems to me that somebody, somewhere will figure out how to make that happen on a regular basis before TL 21+.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the reduced jump fuel "Jump Governor" solutions, to be that is breaking the design. The Antimatter explanation works for me as a different way to do what I did.

I agree about jumps higher than 6 breaking the setting, which is why I was inclined to leave the max jump at 6 for TL 16. BUT, if your players are running around in a TL 17+ Imperium, you aren't really playing the normal version of Traveller anyway.

Originally posted by Icosahedron:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by princelian:
I have run in past campaigns that the J-drive progression does continue past TL 15, so you get J-7 at TL 16, J-8 at TL 17, etc.

In later years, I realized that increasing J-distance changes the interstellar dynamic of the Imperioverse.
This is how I work it. I always ignored the artificial J6 limit. From HG, there is a natural limit at J8, since at J9 the fuel requirements leave no room for payload.
The misjumps show what is possible (for small drives), but technology still only creeps forward one jump per TL, as in Princellian's quote. At TL17 experimental J8 AM drives lead to a J9 AM economy at TL18.
I can't figure a rationale for a sudden leap in jump capability at TL 15, but I could perhaps accept one at TL 18, when AM creates a breakthrough in engineering design.
Another angle could be that technology *never* catches up with misjump - what if you make misjump limit equal to J squared? A misjump into an empty hex only 1pc from civilization could still be fatal. Hmm, I quite like that one...
</font>[/QUOTE]ICO, I misjump into the SAME hex as a habitable system could still be fatal. Being 1 lightyear from the star with no fuel will kill you just as dead as being 3 parsecs from the nearest star.

A really mean GM would say "Well you misjumped and ended up in a hex 25 parsecs away from your departure system. There is a system 0.8 lightyears away, but you only have enough fuel for a couple of weeks on emergency power. Lets roll up new characters!"

Back