• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Applying damage

tfornof

SOC-2
Under the section on combat, it says that there are five dice subtracted from the attack of any personal weapon vs a vehicle. Is this the same as a +5 to the AR of the vehicle vs personal weapons thus bypassing it on a critical?

So a person with a pike can still do 1 or 2 points to someone in battle dress, and someone with an 18 STR can do 5 or 6 points to someone in battledress? At the same time a LAG (20mm rifle) will at most do 1 pt of damage to a suit? The LAG was designed as an anti-material rifle, ie vehicles and ammo dumps, the early LAG's were designed to take out TL5 tanks.
A laser rifle would do 1 or 2 points.

Of course criticals change this.

If you roll 3d10 critical for x2 damage, do you drop two dice due the inherent -5 dice then double the remaining die?

If you remove all the dice then simple vehicles will be immune to 20mm Rifles. If you don't, then 0 AR starships can be criticled by a broadsword.

Are STR modifier damage reduced by AR last?

Lastly, would a 10d6 Fireball or Lightning Bolt count as a personal weapon and be applied straight across using T20 mechanics? ie -5 dice then apply AR of the target?

I know this is a lot, but I think I need a sense of perspective. (I know this leaves me open to the Hichhikers reply)

Thanks,
Fionan.

Hrmm many questions.

1. No. The 5 dice subtracted from the attack of a personal weapon is not the same as a +5 AR. Always subtract the 5 dice of damage from a personal weapon attacking a vehicle (or 10 dice attacking a starship).

2. Yes. Subtract the dice from the attack for size before applying the damage from a critical hit. Don't forget, once you've gotten down to the last die, the armor and size subtract points of damage, not dice anymore. So it is possible on a critical hit for one or two points of damage to go through.

3. I would treat spells as personal weapons. Treating them as vehicle weapons causes too much damage to the characters.

So, can a broadsword (2d6) criticle or damage an AR 0 Star ship? Subtract 10 dice and leave the last die, then subtract zero for the AR.

Fionan.

Originally posted by Fionan:
So, can a broadsword (2d6) criticle or damage an AR 0 Star ship? Subtract 10 dice and leave the last die, then subtract zero for the AR.

Fionan.
In general, no. But your Str:20 barbarian could: 2d6 minus 10 dice is 1d6 - 9. Add +5 for strength, and the damage becomes 1d6+5 - 9, roll a 6 and it's 2 points. On a critical it becomes 4 points. You can smash a starship into little bits with a broadsword, it just takes a really long time.

Back