• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Alternate combat damage (personal)

JAFARR

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
What do you think of this method of applying combat damage? I put rules from several other games together to make this one. I don't remember where the negative hits part came from, but the hit location came from AD 2300.
Alternate combat damage

To determine hit location roll D10

1 = head
2 = chest
4 = abdomen
3 = reroll, if even, abdomen, if odd, chest
5 = right thigh
6 = left thigh
7 = right leg
8 = left leg
9 = right arm
10 = left arm

Note this is the hit location chart from AD 2300 (originally Traveller 2300) with location 3 split between abdomen & chest.

Damage points for each location:
E = endurance, D =dexterity, S = strength

Head = (E + D)/2
Chest = (S + E +D)
Abdomen = (E + D)
Limbs + (E + D + S)/3
Round fractions up to the next whole number.
These values are the full hits for each location and are refereed to as Max in the table below.

Effects of damage:
Head Other locations Effect
Max to ½ max Max to 0 Minor wound
½ max to 0 -1(max) Serious Wound
0 to –1(Max) -1(max) to –2 (max) Critical Wound

In other words for a head hit, if the damage is ½ of your max damage or less, it is a minor wound. If damage is more than ½ your max damage to 0 points left it is a serious wound. If damage is at least 1 point more than your head’s max, it changes to critical, and if you take 2 times as much damage as your head has damage points, you are dead. To the rest of your body, damage changes from minor to serious if you take 1 more hit than that area has damage points, then to critical if you take more than twice the damage points that area has. If damage reaches 3 times the damage points that area has, you die or loose that limb if it is a limb.

For the loss of a limb, roll endurance or less on 2D6 to avoid bleeding to death. DM – medical skill applied by 1 other person. For minor head hits, roll endurance or less to avoid losing consciousness.
For either case above, rolls of 12 are always a failure.

Blast it! my formatting did not copy and paste. I'll see if I can clean it up and paste the damage table in a follow up.

Let's see if this will work:

Head Other locations Effect
Max to ½ max Max to 0 Minor wound
½ max to 0 -1(max) Serious Wound
0 to –1(Max) -1(max) to –2 (max) Critical Wound
-1(max) + 1 -1(max) to –2 (max) + 1 Death
Well maybe that is a little clearer than it was.
Can anyone tell how to make a table line up properly in these posts?

Use the code function.
type {code} but use square brackets ;)
then type your list exactly as you want to see it.
then type {/code}, again using square brackets.
It took me about a year and a half to figure that one out :confused:
file_23.gif

Oh, and I like the idea; simple and elegant.
I'd add a chance to bleed to death from any critical wound, but that would add an extra level of book-keeping.

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />To determine hit location roll D10
does weapon skill, cover, etc. affect this? </font>[/QUOTE]Had not considered that angle. I suppose that if you allow specifying parts of a target at higher difficulty, that would negate the location roll.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Oh, and I like the idea; simple and elegant.
I'd add a chance to bleed to death from any critical wound, but that would add an extra level of book-keeping.
Feel free to add it and see how it works.

Back