• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

XWeb deployment?

What would the effects on trade be of deploying a Regency style XWeb, at J4, across a subsector?

What would the further effects be if the count/subsector duke wore the entire cost of all intrasubsector message legs and half the cost if the subsector border is crossed?

GLM,

First things first; Are the results worth the cost?

We know that the X-boat system is a sham and we also know that any world worth a damn; economically worthy, has any of the various listed bases, occupies a strategic location, etc., is already linked with other such worlds via merchant lines, corporate couriers, subsidized shipping, and naval/scout assets. So, will adding those worlds not already connected by the communication links already in place actually improve things?

Don't forget the "economically worthy" bit. If a world has any trade potential it is more than likely already trading and thus already has regular communication links within it's subsector and beyond. The only world that are the exception to this are worlds that should be trading but aren't; hi-pop worlds with xenophobic governments/cultures that limit outside contacts. 'Improving' communication links with them won't change the trade picture one whit.

Next, look at the cost involved. The X-web described in TNE's 'Regency Sourcebook' had a stated goal of each world recieving a message 'boat' from every world within six parsecs. Your question limits the radius to 4 parsecs but the number of vessels involved is still extremely large.

To reach our "one boat per day" we'll need seven boats per jump. A jump last 168 hours or seven days. You'll need 7 boats in each and every 'pipeline' between worlds to achieve your "one-a-day" rate. And remember, you'll have a two pipelines between each world; a "Send To" and a "Recieve From".

Look at Ffudn/Glsiten. That system has twenty two worlds within four parsecs. That's forty four 'pipelines' and 308 'boats' with no room for mishaps, misjumps, or maintanance. That's over three hundred boats to 'wire up' one system to an X-web.

Simply do the math I just did for entire subsector to find out how many boats you'll need. Then multiply that by the cost of an x-boat. (Don't forget the volume discounts!) Now look at that number and ask yourself if it can be afforded. Remember, you've haven't even figured in spares, salaries, maintanance, tenders, or a host of others yet.

Will trade be effected? No. Any world that can/wants to trade already is trading. More communications won't change that sustantially.

Can a local noble afford to susidize it? No. The cost far too great, all his other responsibilities would be ignored and he'd still be hard pressed to fund such a huge system.

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by Greek Letter Moshpit:
So his cash would be better spent in direct investment to raise TL and starport quality of worlds in his subsector?
GLM,

Tech level perhaps, starports maybe.

As many Third World countries have discovered, you can build an international airport but if you have no trade goods beyond mudpies and if all that tourists will see is the mountain of skulls from your last revolution you aren't going to get that much traffic.

Remember, even in the 'frontier' regions of the Imperium worlds have been settled for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. If, after several centuries, a world is still a backwater shithole with little to tempt traders to visit there must be a better reason than a poor starport and a low tech level. A world settled for several centuries should have developed both already.

If your noble can determine what problems are holding a system back and if money can correct those problems, than investment could improve subsector trade numbers. As for the chance of outside investment making such changes, may I suggest you examine subsaharan Africa?

Now all of this is purely Official Traveller Universe stuff. What you do in your Traveller universe for your campaign is entirely your concern. Do what you will and have fun.

Have fun,
Bill

It could be that the X-Boat system has the public function of the post office of regulating communication of crucial worlds datanets as a way of binding worlds closer along military chains of command. This, of course, has a noble counterpoint with Imperialines. Within the function of the X-Boat would be a function similar to what Echelon is doing outside of the United States and the Patriot Act is doing internally.

Introducing an X-Web, in this case would tighten the noose further, whilst at the same liberate some virtual spaces for different groups to communicate across the different worlds. But, just as the question with philosophies the question remains: What unites people?

Originally posted by Greek Letter Moshpit:
Damn, talking to you is like talking to Jeff Zeitlin. I end up making a goose of myself something shocking and learning something.
GLM,

Nonsense. You asked a question and partially answered it yourself. I simply chimed in with a few numbers and Our Olde Hobby's current best take on the situation. Believe me, I didn't come up with any of that by myself!

Have fun,
Bill

Back