• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Wanted: Glisten stats for T20 era.

plop101

Absent Friend
Looking for stats on Glisten in T20 era. My guess is that its A000986-D but I just want that confirmed.

Michael Taylor writes:
I cant confirm it but the TL sure looks OK to me. I usually reduce TL's by 1 or 2 when converting from golden age to 990 era.
Hmmm...

TL decrease by 2 would be in line with the published stats for Terra and Vland, both of which are IIRC listed as TLD.

On the other hand...

TL decrease by 1 would allow my pc to buy tailored vaccsuit. Oh decisions, decisions...
file_23.gif

Known evidence:

From T20 'The Travellers Handbook', page 22:
Homeworlds: Terra (Earth) A867A49-D
Homeworlds: Vland A967A9A-D
'Invasion: Earth' strongly infers that Terra has a TL of 14.

So, from 990 to 1002, Terra goes from TL D to TL E.

I would definetly agree with Mr Boulton:
I'd put Terra and Vland at TL E c.990. If they're D then it's very late D.
Looks like my pc will get tailored vacsuit after all
file_23.gif

COTI used to have both the Spinward Marches and Solomani Rim sectors for 993, as well as the Gateway Domain sectors, online. I can't find them any more.

If someone knows where they went to, could they post a link? Barring that, if someone has the sector files produced for those, I would appreciate it if they were added to the eLibrary.

Thanks in advance,
Flynn

I would love to know what methods were used to back-date UWP's from various eras to 993. IMTU I've just been rerolling the non-physical data and putting a max TL of 14.

Originally posted by Flynn:
COTI used to have both the Spinward Marches and Solomani Rim sectors for 993, as well as the Gateway Domain sectors, online. I can't find them any more.
Do you mean these maps? They link from the old CotI page which is still up just not linked to. From what I remember they use slightly out of date info for Gateway at least, not sure about the others. As for .sec files I believe they exist but have no idea if they could be posted. It would be great if they could.

Casey

[EDIT]GMTA![/EDIT]

I can't speak for the others, but the Spinward Marches map a) has errors (Darrian has a TL of 0) and b) is late era (1117+) (Regina has a TL of C).

I sent in a modified world list for the Marches to Hunter which changed several things based on canon information I could find, but apparently Hunter decided not to use it. :(

Unfortunately, he hasn't used anyone else's, either.

On subject, I had simply dropped Glisten's TL down to E. Every indication is that the world has been fairly stable and advanced for quite a while. Therefore, I left is population and government alone, and kept the TL at current maximum, which is E.

Originally posted by daryen:
I can't speak for the others, but the Spinward Marches map a) has errors (Darrian has a TL of 0) and b) is late era (1117+) (Regina has a TL of C).
I don't have my books to check, so I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the change of Regina's TL from 10 to 12 was a fairly early occurrence. IIRC it is certainly there in the listings in The Spinward Marches Campaign.

Incidentally, since I don't consider a jump of two tech levels in half a decade to be plausible, I've always interpreted it to be a correction of an error; that is, that Regina's TL was 12 in 1105 even though The Spinward Marches says otherwise.

Hans

As I don't have the SMC, and will likely never get it until FFE gets around to the Modules Reprint, I can't check. Regina's TL of A is set, not just in Sup3, but also in the Imperial Fringe, the Traveller Book, and in Book 6. The first time I ever saw the change in Regina's TL was in the MT boxed set. Consequently, I have always looked at it as an "MT" change.

BTW, I agree that the TL change was likely an "errata" rather than an "improvement". Regardless, Regina with a TL of C is still obviously NOT from 993.

So, my point that the Spinward Marches map referenced above is from CT or MT, and has additional errors, is still correct.

Grand Master Rancke writes:
Incidentally, since I don't consider a jump of two tech levels in half a decade to be plausible, I've always interpreted it to be a correction of an error; that is, that Regina's TL was 12 in 1105 even though The Spinward Marches says otherwise.
Spinward Marches (sup3) and Kinunir (adv1) and Twilights Peak (Adv3) and Fifth Frontier War and probably others too.

So all those CT references to TL10 Regina were errors. Oh boy. I feel a rant coming on.
file_23.gif

I personally think Regina became TL12 because somebody(s) wanted to fudge a higher TL to conform to their IMTU. Regina navy ships at J1 just weren't deemed sexy to this somebody(s), so they made it TL12, and Traveller canon got trashed. Kinda like what happened later with the Core sector in T4's Mileau:0. Or the Dark Nebula sector from the Dark Nebula game to DGP's Rats n Cats.

It just has the feeling of 1984, rewriting game history so somebody(s) can be happy with the product.

Originally posted by plop101:
Spinward Marches (sup3) and Kinunir (adv1) and Twilights Peak (Adv3) and Fifth Frontier War and probably others too.
I'm not disputing that.

So all those CT references to TL10 Regina were errors. Oh boy. I feel a rant coming on.
file_23.gif
>>Shrug<< The alternative is to believe that Regina jumped two tech levels in 6 years.

I personally think Regina became TL12 because somebody(s) wanted to fudge a higher TL to conform to their IMTU. Regina navy ships at J1 just weren't deemed sexy to this somebody(s), so they made it TL12, and Traveller canon got trashed.
Or maybe someone thought that if Regina was able to build jump-4 ships (which is what the very first module describing the TU told us), then a tech level capable of building jump-4 engines would fit better.

Hans

"Or maybe someone thought that if Regina was able to build jump-4 ships (which is what the very first module describing the TU told us), then a tech level capable of building jump-4 engines would fit better."

Ahh, my good friend Grand Master Rancke, they were able to build J4 ships, in Book 2 and using the fudge rule, in Book 5.

Why did they have to throw Book 2 away. Not sexy, apparently.

Back