• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

UWP Changes

Originally posted by robject:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rancke:

Given Tenalphi's position on the border between the Imperium and the Sword Worlds and it's hospitable nature, it is already very strange that it doesn't have a decent population. Adding the strangeness of a shipyard where everything from components to workers to the food they eat has to be imported (not to mention the X-boat link), I suggest that Tenalphi's population level should be changed to 8.

Hans
"Is that an official 'wish'?" asks the genie* politely.

* pun intended
</font>[/QUOTE]I'm afraid I don't get it. Sorry.

There may be an argument for only making Tenalphi's pop level 7 (I certainly wouldn't object if some official publication did so), but it definitely is a world that, from it's position and the history of the Marches, easily could have reached a population of hundreds of millions.

Anything under pop level 7 would, IMO, be too low to be plausible. (Pop 9+ would, of course, clash with the canonical information from Atlas of the Imperium :D ).

Hans

Hans, I mean this: if you feel that strongly about Tenalphi, then please email a recommendation to Marc about it for Second Survey. It sounds to me like you've got a good case, and it's not likely to do any violence at all to canon, and Marc has said he will actually consider a few of those requests.

Something like:

HRM1 Recommendation: Change Tenalphi's pop digit to 7 or 8.

HRM1 Justification: Given Tenalphi's position on the border between the Imperium and the Sword Worlds and its hospitable nature, it is very strange that it doesn't have a decent population. Adding the strangeness of a shipyard where everything from components to workers to the food they eat has to be imported (not to mention the X-boat link), I suggest that Tenalphi's population level should be changed to 7 or 8.

Deadline The deadline for this material is... well, I don't know when it is. T5 comes out in appx 1.5 years, so probably before June of next year. Probably before January of next year.

How about June of this year as a goal?

Responses from Marc. Some changes are in, some data are left as they are. All in all, I'd say this is helpful stuff. Thank you Hans.

Response from Marc

HRM1 Recommendation: Change Tenalphi's pop digit to 7 or 8.

HRM1 Justification: Given Tenalphi's position on the border between the Imperium and the Sword Worlds and its hospitable nature, it is very strange that it doesn't have a decent population. Adding the strangeness of a shipyard where everything from components to workers to the food they eat has to be imported (not to mention the X-boat link), I suggest that Tenalphi's population level should be changed to 7 or 8.

Response I have changed it to Pop=7.

HRM2 Reconciliation. Change the population modifier for Tionale from 2 to 8.

HRM2 Justification. According to the Amber Zone in JTAS#9, the population of Tionale was 8,000 in 1107. Unfortunately this was missed in the UWPs in SMC (and subsequently in RegS) where the pop modifier is 2.

Response Outside the empire. I also believe that when Pop <7, the modifier fluctuates greatly across decades and even years. Essentially, A stated Pop Modifier will often vary from what is in the survey.

HRM3 Personal Suggestion. Increase Feri's size from 3 to 6.

HRM3 Justification: With 600 million people apparently living on the surface of this world, there doesn't seem to be a way to make the atmosphere dense enough without it being riddled with enough heavy metals to poison any human on it.

Response This is an example of trying to change the data to fit a concept, instead of imagining what the data mean. They have hi tech. Maybe they have good pollution controls. Maybe there's a natural process at work? Note its economic extension (which is admittedly random). Resources=7. Labor=7. Infrastructure=5. and Barriers to Trade=6 (moderately high). Hmmm. I note that 2000years ago, the world name was Ferro. and before that Ushka.

No change.

HRM4 Suggestion. Hans recommends upping the world sizes of Pscias to 5 and Yori to 6.

HRM4 Justification. Due to their small sizes, he says atmospheres will be poisonous if there at all.

Response No change. I note my data shows Pscias has remark Ux Unexplained.

HRM5 Reconciliation. Change Keanou's hydrographics back to 0.

HRM5 Justification. According to _The Spinward Marches_, _Twilight's Peak_ and the map in _The Traveller Adventure_, the world is a desert. This was changed in the Spinward Marches Campaign. It could reflect terraforming in the late 1100s, but even if so, it's a desert in 1065.

Response I have changed Keanou back to Hyd=0. De.

Hi Robject,

Not to sound too inflamatory, but, I see something going on here that just seems improper.

On the COTI boards there exists a 'moot' that is a 'for pay' area that helps hunter support the site. In the moot, there is supposed to exist the files and forums for T5 developement, in addition to other playtest forums.

From what I have seen, is that the playtest is dead, having gone half a year without any updates or even comments. Even though I saw some very good effort on the part of the playtesters to come up with feedback for Marc.

You obviously have Marc's ear, and you are doing a very good job getting feedback to and from him, but, now I have to ask, why would anyone pay for a moot subscription?

Old files, ignored posts and the discussion moved into a free public forum.

I understand that Hunter is tied up with family issues, I have no problem with that, but, since he is away, I see somethings happening that he may not appreciate, however well intentioned they are.

Hunter started the moot to help with the cost of maintaining this site. Alot of us benifit from this site and I for one want to see it continue.

Hunter does not ask for (and I do not think he wants) charity to maintain the site. He started the moot to give value to those who subscribe.

By your actions, however well intentioned, you have shown that the moot membership has no value except as charity.

I am not saying stop what you are doing, I am saying that a pause and rethink may be in order.

Perhaps anything that has Marc's involvement should be kept to the moot? Maybe anything that will affect the cannon of the Traveller universe should be kept to the moot? Maybe nothing should be kept to the moot and it should be shut down as a loss.

I do not know, but, somebody should take an active measure to ensure that our good intentions do not end up destroying the one area that has been so beneficial to all of us.

Just a point to ponder,

Best regards

Dalton

Hmmm. Dalton, good points. That's why I subscribed for the Moot, and I really haven't been using it for the past X months.

Actually, what we need is some playtest material in the T5 Moot section. I'll ask for some. Would that help?

The best defense I can think of is that the 2nd Survey push was started by Marc on Traveller5.com, which is public, and recently taken to COTI by me. Moreover, 2nd Survey data has implications beyond a T5 rule system... and in fact, I'm generally suppressing the rules-specific elements from this particular topic.

Perhaps the Moot would be a great place to start discussion about the T5-specific bits of Second Survey.

OK, I'll ask Marc two questions.

One, may I post some T5-specific items for Second Survey?

and

Two, can he please spiff up some playtest for us Moot subscribers?

I hope this helps.

Thanks robject,

Good to see you did not take offense at my post. I was worried about that and kept quiet concerning it in the past (something I rarely do).

I was almost tempted to put my THE character development rules in the moot just to increase the number of posts.

best regards

Dalton

I admit I was defensive when I saw the first line, but that's me.

Geez, Dalton, I don't think you'll ever offend me unless there's a good reason, so don't be worried. If you're concerned, I should pause.

Am I that sensitive? Hmmmm.

To bide time until Marc is ready to post his alien creation rules + spreadsheet, and small craft construction, and whatnot, I've posted some messages from Marc that I've been thinking about. They concern UWP data in various ways.

MW1: Reconciliation Uniqua's second star should be M9 D, not M2 V.
The companion star is listed as *both* in the RSB. One needs to be picked, so I picked on.

MW3a: Modernization Mirriam (hex 0333) should be renamed to "Mirriam (1)".

Justification To avoid confusion with the Mirriam at hex 1315.
I wasn't actually suggesting the name change. I was just using the (1) and (2) to uniquely identify them for the purposes of the list. Both planets would still be called "Mirriam".

MW4: Canon Support Entrope should be listed as "Darrian owned" post Fifth Frontier War.

Justification Actually, for Second Survey, don't the Darrians own Entrope? They don't lose it until around the Fourth Frontier War, right?
This isn't a real change, but instead a true correction. Entrope was a member of the Darrian Confederation from 788 to the end of the 4FW. They were then subect to the Sword Worlds from the end of the 4FW to the end of the 5FW in 1110. My list was intended for 1112. For the period of time between 1084 and 1110, Entrope is indeed subject to the Sword Worlds.

In short, if you want Second Survey (1065), Entrope is Darrian. If you want true CT (1100-1107), Entrope is SW. If you want post 5FW (1110+), Entrope is Darrian.

This is established canon. It is not changing anything other than a listing mistake made in the RSB (1117 data), in the SMC, and in the IE.

MW7: Reconciliation Zircon's UWP should be
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Zircon 1110 C792668-8 M Ni 624 Fa F0 V</pre>
Justification This is probably an affirmation that Zircon is part of the Federation of Arden - but I bet it isn't in Second Survey's time (1065).[/quote]The correction is the base code. Most CT sources show a scout base even though it is an FA world. That is silly. It should have a base code of "M" to reflect what should definitely be FA's only military base.

MW8: Reconciliation Bowman's Belt UWP should be
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Bowman 1132 D000300-9 S Lo Ni As 811 Cs M0 V</pre>
Justification This is actually the same data I find on the web. Some supplements must have introduced errors.[/quote]This issue is the "planetoid" value in the PPG listing. It is listed differently depending on the source.

MW11: Modernization Mithril's star should be F4 V.

Justification An F4 D star would have (a) no habitable zone, (b) all worlds near it destroyed when it left the main sequence and turned into a subgiant or giant. An F4 V is much more pleasant, and is able to have habitable worlds around it.
This is NOT a suggested change. This is an official GDW erratum that needs to be included in any future UWP listing.

MW13: Modernization? Victoria's TL should be 3.

Justification I suppose this is due to the description of how people on Victoria live being more like TL3 than TL2.
Different sources list the TL differently. Choose one.

MW14: Reconciliation Regina's UWP should be
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Regina 1910 A788899-C A Ri Cp 703 Im F7 V M8 D M6 V</pre>
Justification This is probably to fix the original UWP data, which set the TL at 10. But in 1065, it is possible that the TL of Regina was 10. [/quote]Again, my listing is for 1112, not 1065. In 1065 it is quite possible Regina is only TL A. I do know that for any 993 UWP I have input into, Regina's TL will be A.

MW24a: Modernization Aramis (1)'s primary should be M2 V.

Justification A type VI star (I think) is a dwarf, which has no habitable zone, and probably used to be a giant star, which means any worlds that might have been in the habitable zone were swallowed up and/or melted/blown away to a bare cinder.
There is no such thing as a type VI star. These must all be removed.

Also, I want to point out that all changes in stellar information for the Spinward Marches (and Deneb) are NOT mine! All of these changes were made in the RSB. I am just reflecting them here.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
Odd that so many name repeats snuck into the Marches in the first place.

Which version of the sector was Mike working from? If he's starting from anything other than TNE's Regency Sourcebook, he may be repeating/ignoring past effort...
My primary source for the UWPs is the TNE RSB. I also used IE, MTJ3 and AotI. I studiously ignored Supplement 3, except for the color info. I tried to validate against SMC, but as I don't have that, I had to rely on the efforts of others.

I am ignoring/repeating past effort. My goal is different from other efforts. The one main attempt I have seen on the web choses the SMC as the primary source; I chose the RSB. I am totally focused on 1112; all others focus on either 1105-, 1117+, or 1200+.

If my effort for 1112 can be leveraged for 1065, or any other time period, great. But please remember that my goal was 1112, so some items (e.g. Regina's TL) may not apply to other time periods.

MW101 Reconciliation Errere 0103 add trade code: C0
[others deleted for brevity]
All of these trade codes were pretty much introduced by TNE. They didn't really exist much prior to then. As a result, all of these codes are merely a reflection of what canon says about these worlds.

The are not changes to make stuff "make sense". These are changes so that the listing might actually agree with the various pieces of canon.

Regarding the stellar changes on the following message:
All of the stellar changes from the Spinward Marches and Deneb, the core/trailing quadrant of the Trojan Reaches, and most of Reft (i.e. the subsectors covered by the RSB) are ALL official GDW published changes to stellar data. These need to be propagated back from the RSB to any new UWP lists of earlier times.

All changes to stellar data outside the area covered by the RSB (e.g. the rest of the Trojan Reaches) are my application of the apparent method used by the RSB. Therefore, while that data is not official GDW data, it does make the data consistent with what GDW did in the rest of the Domain.

Robject,

Finally, while I am going nuts here, please resubmit these three to Marc with the following text:
MW4: Canon Support Entrope should be listed as "Darrian owned" post Fifth Frontier War. (This also applies to Anselhome and Winston.)

Justification: This isn't a real change, but instead an erratum. Entrope was a member of the Darrian Confederation from 788 to the end of the 4FW. They were then subect to the Sword Worlds from the end of the 4FW to the end of the 5FW in 1110. My list was intended for 1112. For the period of time between 1084 and 1110, Entrope is indeed subject to the Sword Worlds.

In short, if you want Second Survey (1065), Entrope is Darrian. If you want true CT (1100-1107), Entrope is SW. If you want post 5FW (1110+), Entrope is Darrian.

(Actually, one could make the argument that, as the surveying is being done by Imperial scouts, the allegiance for these three worlds should always be Darrian from 788+. For the period 1084-1110 the technically correct description of the worlds is "Darrian member worlds occupied by the Sword Worlds." The Imperials backed the Darrian claims.)

This is all established canon (most clearly explained in Alien Module 8). It is not changing; but is errata covering a listing mistake made in the RSB (1117 data), in the SMC, and in the IE.

MW11: Modernization Mithril's star should be F4 V.

Justification: This is NOT a suggested change. This is an official GDW erratum that needs to be included in any future UWP listing.

MWxx: Modernize the Droyne world listings.
Independent Droyne worlds: Use allegiance of "Dr".
Aligned Droyne worlds: Use appropriate allegiance (e.g. "Im") and include a note of "Dw" (for "Droyne world").
In all cases, show the government type as "X".

Justification: As Droyne worlds have been added to the game (or retconned) the nomenclature for them has been terribly inconsistent. Therefore, these worlds should all be listed in a consistent way.

Mike,

I'll resubmit the Droyne world code. Everything else which isn't Imperial won't be in Second Survey.

Rob

Yes, it looks like Imperial worlds are the only ones treated in Second Survey.

How that works out for "sector"-format files is anyone's guess. Marc's maintaining the authoritative data in a spreadsheet (brave new world!)

Yes, it looks like Imperial worlds are the only ones treated in Second Survey.

How that works out for "sector"-format files is anyone's guess. Marc's maintaining the authoritative data in a spreadsheet (brave new world!)
If he wants, I can knock off a cross platform database/client using open source software. He would be able to provide clients for Mac, Windows and Linux in a single package (and charge money for it).

If he is interested, I can probly have a preliminary done in a day.

best regards

Dalton

I've got to stop taking you for granted, Dalton...
Just send me the type of data he wants it in and if he wants anything special, and I will put together a file immediately (oh yea, I need to know what hardware and OS he is using so that I can compile it for his platform).

best regards

Dalton

Rob, I considered mailing this directly to Marc, but I think it may of general interest. Could you do me the favor of forwarding it to him?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Response from Marc

HRM3 Personal Suggestion. Increase Feri's size from 3 to 6.

HRM3 Justification: With 600 million people apparently living on the surface of this world, there doesn't seem to be a way to make the atmosphere dense enough without it being riddled with enough heavy metals to poison any human on it.

Response This is an example of trying to change the data to fit a concept, instead of imagining what the data mean. They have hi tech. Maybe they have good pollution controls. Maybe there's a natural process at work? Note its economic extension (which is admittedly random). Resources=7. Labor=7. Infrastructure=5. and Barriers to Trade=6 (moderately high). Hmmm. I note that 2000years ago, the world name was Ferro. and before that Ushka.

No change.

HRM4 Suggestion. Hans recommends upping the world sizes of Pscias to 5 and Yori to 6.

HRM4 Justification. Due to their small sizes, he says atmospheres will be poisonous if there at all.

Response No change. I note my data shows Pscias has remark Ux Unexplained.
</font>[/QUOTE]I saw the remark at the start of this thread about being willing to accept Marc's ideas, and I had resolved to do so. But I just have to make one attempt to explain, because I don't think I managed to get the point across. One last try, and then I'll shut up. I promise.

The problem I was hoping to fix isn't Feri or Pscias or Yori. It's a lot more subtle than that.

Some worlds are possible, but unlikely. You can't argue against then on a case by case basis, because they ARE possible. But you can argue about them as a class, because when you lump hundreds of unlikelihoods together, you get to a point where the combined unlikeliness makes your willing suspension of disbelief reach its limits.

The single greatest problem I have with the UWPs is the complete disconnect between habitability and population. I don't mind a few high-population hell-holes and a few low-population garden worlds. In fact, I highly approve of them. But when there are exactly as many high-population hell-holes as there are high-population garden worlds, and exactly as many low-population garden worlds as there are low-population hell-holes (and exactly as many population X physical-condition Y worlds as any other combination of physical and social stats), then I flat out don't believe it.

So, yes, I am trying to persuade Marc to change data to fit a concept, but it's not the concept he believes; it's the concept that there will be a correlation between habitability and population size. Not, mind you, a direct correspondence, just a correlation.

The best way to establish that correlation is, IMO, to selectively improve the habitability of some pop 7+ worlds, and maybe to reduce the population of some really nasty worlds (especially those with low TL, because as long as the technology is high enough, people can just live in space). And by doing so on a case by case basis, you can also fix other problems. It would be a help in other way, for instance, if a few of the high-population worlds were a little less high population.

The thing is, if this is going to be done at all, then it makes sense to fix lesser problems (that might not rate it on their own -- the stuff that's not impossible, but is highly unlikely) at the same time.

Another problem is that many of the worlds with atmospheres and hydrospheres are too small to have an atmosphere or a hydrosphere. Now, it's not as big a problem for me as I know it is for some other people. But I must confess that I can't understand that the fact that a world is physically impossible according to the current astronomical knowledge we possess isn't a good enough reason to change it. Sure, there are the Ancients, and there are unexplained phenomena, and don't think I don't use them myself (for instance, Alell is likewise too small, but in my writeup I just mentioned that it had a higher gravity than it should have -- the "it's a mystery" explanation). But again we (sorry, I) run into the 'a few is interesting, a lot is unbelievable' problem.

So changing the size of Feri and Pscias and Yori and a lot more worlds that are too small for their atmospheres or hydrospheres (but not all of them, because odd worlds are fun -- as long as they're the exception rather than the norm) is not about changing the data to fit a concept, it's about making the entire OTU more believable.

Cordially
Hans Rancke
University of Copenhagen
rancke@diku.dk
------------
"Could you not begin at the beginning and go on until you come to the end, and then, if you are able to, stop?"
"I'll try," said his lordship, "but I always find the stopping business so difficult."
--- "Murder must advertise" by Dorothy Sayers

My first concern is that, rather than simply updating a set of worlds, the LBB3 rules would have to be rewritten.

Back