• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

UWP Changes

Just looked. Those sectors are all pre-RSB, and the MT data is modified.

In other words, they are an interesting historical footnote, but irrelevant to the current effort.

Thank you, Daryen, no worries.

Originally posted by Jim Fetters:
Okay, I've gone through Antares and it mostly looks good.

There are about 17 inconsistencies between the Sunbane map and AOTI, mostly wet/dry problems. Only one misplaced and one missing system. I'll post the results later, probably tomorrow.

Not sure about any Gg numbers listed, though.

So once these inconsistencies are straightened out, what are the next steps? Do you run your update script, Rob?
Thank you Jim. That helps a lot. Generally, the gas giants are almost always correct. In other words, the errors fall within the margin of human proofreading error, so we're not likely to find them all unless six pairs of eyes look at the same data. I'm not very concerned.

And you bring up Next Steps.

I don't know how the data will be updated. I've got a script to generate mainworlds with the "new" system, but others can implement it, too. The best scenario would be to run lots of scripts independently on the data, just to get a feel for the results, but to have Marc actually generate the data from his Second Survey spreadsheet using Excel, if that's possible.

There's quite a bit of history and some current discussion on Traveller5.com on Second Survey. We should discuss methods, code fragments, and ideas about things like stellar generation there.

If possible, I think the best solution would be to write functions in Excel that regenerate the missing UWP fields. The not-best solution would be to run mainworld generation on each AOTI entry until the results match the baseline.

Report for Dagudashag Sunbane

First off, I've been spelling the name wrong for years. In AOTI, it's spelled "Dagudashag", not "Dagudashaag". One vowel can spell the difference between peace and war.

Next, the bases, ggs, and starports are all A-OK, as far as my eyes can tell. I changed all allegiances (St, Li, Fi) back to Imperial.

Finally, a lot of Sunbane "Fl" worlds were assigned to AOTI wet worlds. I fixed those.

Warning I have not regenerated the trade codes for any of the sectors I've 'fixed'.

Current list: here

Very good - see you at the T5 board then (I have been playing catch up on all these threads).

Also, I am assuming that this also includes the stellar generation system detailed on your site? Not sure about other sectors, but one of the huge problems in Antares anyway, is an overabundance of D stars.

One other question - in order to not conflict with previously published data, is there a site that lists ALL the previous TNS releases? Giving Antares sector as an example, I know that Antares itself and Sabmiqys have published values. I'd like to see if there are any other mentions as well.

Jim, star system gen is going to take some discussions.

And we should gather TNS data.

Report for Antares Sunbane

Below are the inconsistencies between the Sunbane map as posted by Rob and the AOTI for Antares:

Systems present in AOTI but not in Sunbane:

0501 d-de-s
Misplaced systems:

0634 of AOTI is placed in 0834 of Sunbane, at least I am assuming that is a misplacement. The world is:

0634 a-as
The following worlds had incorrect water settings in Sunbane. Note that this is from map comparison only - I do not know what the UPP stats for these are (i.e., if they are fluid worlds):
0319 INSONT
1038 GAAKISH
All other worlds were fine. Gas giant presence aslo checked out, but again was unable to determine whether the numbers listed on the Sunbane maps were accurate.

Originally posted by Joshua Bell:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
the Genii/Sunbane trash heap either.
Just to toss 0.02Cr in...

Having spent far too much $$$ recently acquiring issues of the DGP magazines (Travellers' Digest, MegaTraveller Journal), ....
</font>[/QUOTE]Oh! THat was you!! :eek:

The current "regenerate everything from AOTI" seems like a reasonable approach given (1) the limbo status of DGP works (despite RS's provisions that the data is usable) and (2) the desire to have everything accountable and match a newer system generation ruleset. But my point is: if we're throwing the Vargr out with the bathwater, let's give the baby a few moments of quiet respect.
Yeah, having begun to start detailing a few systems, I think at the very least a STELLAR correction is needed with the data, but I am all for having anything else change that makes sense (such as the whole "low tech civilization on a vaccuum world" cliche).

Marc's been tweaking the mainworld gen to minimize those types of problems, in particular the high pop, low tech, vacuum world situation.

Originally posted by Jim Fetters:
Report for Antares Sunbane

Below are the inconsistencies between the Sunbane map as posted by Rob and the AOTI for Antares:

Thank you, Jim!! This is a big help. I've fixed the allegience codes as well, so Antares sector is now prepped for regeneration.

Current status: here

0501 has been dubbed "Iimashirer" ('Fetters' in Vilani)

0834 has been moved to 0634.

These worlds were (incorrectly) "Fl" in Sunbane:

0319 INSONT
1038 GAAKISH

There is no world at these hexes, Jim:
0502 ?
1805 ?

2612 was (incorrectly) "Ic" in Sunbane.

All other worlds were fine. Gas giant presence aslo checked out, but again was unable to determine whether the numbers listed on the Sunbane maps were accurate.
Numbers don't matter!

Originally posted by robject:

There is no world at these hexes, Jim:
0502 ?
1805 ?

Sorry about that... Typos on my part - they should be 0602 and 1905 respectively.

I photocopied the page of AOTI to make my notations, but the hex #s are tiny. Or I need new glasses.

Thanks, fixed and re-uploaded.

I'm asking Marc if "Ic" worlds qualify as "wet" worlds. If so, I'll run through the stuff I've posted and un-fix a few fixes (there aren't a whole lot of them).

[

0501 has been dubbed "Iimashirer" ('Fetters' in Vilani)

So you just made my day!
How did you get the translation, BTW? Random Vilani wordgen?

Also, put me down for Fornast and Empty Quarter (just the Imperial, right?).

Vilani by Lonnie, of course.

Okay, you're doing the Imperial worlds in Fornast and EQ.

I'm asking Marc if "Ic" worlds qualify as "wet" worlds.
Are Supp3: Spinward Marches and Supp 10: Solomani Rim data considered canon (i.e. a superset of AOTI)?

IIRC there are places where the Spinward Marches poster (and possibly Supplement 10) use the convention of Ic := No Water Present in the maps. So it should be matter of comparing the SM and SR data to AOTI to determine the *intent* of AOTI.

(I don't have the sources handy, and of course Marc can contradict the sources.)

The Marches and the Rim are special cases. Amnesty. Grandfathered in, if you will. The Marches is such a deliberately engineered sector.

That being said, your point is still valid, and taken.

Can someone compare AOTI to Supp3 and Supp10 for how Ice worlds are classified? I see that on my Spinward Marches map, 0108 and 0303 (Fl and Ic worlds) are both classified as NO WATER.

I've become worried about Ice worlds. I mean, the intent of AOTI seems to be largely fuel-based: the gas giant, starport class, and 'water present' indicators all point to refuelling.

But you're right. AOTI probably intended Ice worlds to be one of the "no freely available water" worlds.

I'm wondering if that's a bad assumption.

For example, Marc sent me this:

Coming to Sol, a ship can precipitate out of Jump next to Terra, land on Terra and refuel. But regulations don't let you just land in the Atlantic and get water for fuel. You have to buy it.

Instead, you jump from some other system to Jupiter, cruise to Jupiter and skim gas, then cruise to Terra and land.

Assuming ice caps on Mars, is it faster to stop at Mars and gather Ice?

Does that procedure work on so many other iceworlds (non-mainworlds) in other systems?
So what do you think about Ice mainworlds? Is that water ice as available as liquid water for refueling purposes? If so, then Ic worlds are more likely to be among the "water present" worlds. If not, then Ic worlds are more likely to be as they were intended to be in AOTI: "no water present".

I asked Marc, but he's not replying. Yet.

Can someone compare AOTI to Supp3 and Supp10 for how Ice worlds are classified? I see that on my Spinward Marches map, 0108 and 0303 (Fl and Ic worlds) are both classified as NO WATER.
Interesting. I just have a few seconds to look at Aramis:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Hex Name UWP AOTI SM Poster
2510 Dhian C9A769D-4 Wet Dry
2602 Corfu X895674-8 Wet Dry
2905 Pavanne E210000-0 Wet Dry
3002 Yebab C9A489A-7 Wet Dry
3102 Rugbird BAC5634-A Dry Dry
3110 Aramis A6B0556-B Dry Dry
3202 Junidy B434ABD-9 Wet Dry
3209 Natoko B582211-8 Wet Dry
3210 Reacher C9A8542-8 Wet Dry</pre>[/QUOTE]Also, double check the UWP we have for Pavanne. Sunbane has C669452-A, Supp 3 has E210000-0!

I'm too sleepy to draw conclusions right now.

The Spinward Marches Campaign has the C669452-A as well.

I'm beginning to think the errors (eg Regina's TL increase etc.) are due to mistakes in the SMC that have then propogated through later canon.

That or there was a whole lot of retconning going on ;)

Back