• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Stellar Reaches: Issue #5 Released...

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Good Afternoon, All,

I have finally completed Stellar Reaches, Issue #5 and placed it on the Downloads page of the Stellar Reaches website for your review and enjoyment.

http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/

This is the longest issue yet at 46 pages, and this is without any internal art (save that of our "advertisement", of course.) Like all of the Stellar Reaches issues, this work wouldn't be possible without the support and contributions of the Traveller fans out there, and so I wanted to take this moment to say "Thank You, All" to everyone that has joined in the fun so far, either as a contributor or as a reader.

Sadly, our art contributions have been a little low this time around. Other than our cover art, provided by the magnanimous Andrew Boulton, with his work entitled "Gas Giant Scout," we have no interior art to offer our fans this time around. If you know of anyone that might be interested in contributing, please send him or her our way. As I've said before, I'm not a great artist, and somehow I don't think stick figures would work as well for Stellar Reaches as it has for Order of the Stick. My apologies for the low art content, and I hope that we can offer you better next time around. Andrew definitely deserves a round of applause for his cover art contribution, though. Thanks for sharing your hard work with the rest of us!

Even without artwork, you’ll notice that there’s a lot in this particular issue. We start off with an alternate 1248 Collapse/Recovery process I developed during the playtesting of TNE 1248. Martin J. Dougherty of Avenger Enterprises has given us special permission to publish it here. (Please take a moment sometime to thank him for giving permission if you enjoyed it.) Alvin Plummer, whom HIWG fans might recognize as the original HIWG developer for the Empty Quarter sector, joins us with a trio of fun contributions. First, we meet a nomadic minor race of the Imperium with an article on the Iper’Mar. Alvin then follows it up masterfully with an exploration-oriented adventure entitled Sand Castles. Finally, Alvin brings us a military-oriented adventure called Seasons Change. Jeff M. Hopper continues his excellent travelogue series, The Empty Quarter Echo, with a focus on the world of Charity. Omer Golan returns to our pages with an excellent article on belting with Belting 101. We then present the Empty Quarter sector of 993 in review. This issue then ends with the usual patron encounter, and our fun "advertisement" makes its triumphant return. All in all, there’s a lot to enjoy this issue.

Sadly, while I wanted to preview a sample of the Hinterworlds 1248 Epic Sector Sourcebook that will be released in the late fall or early winter of this year, I am not quite ready with the material, and I’d rather not hold back the release of this issue any more than I have already. Please accept my apologies, and look forward to seeing a sample in the next issue of the Stellar Reaches.

In addition, with the next issue, we’re planning on a new Alternate Universe article, this one by Marc Kuhl, another Empty Quarter Echo column, another adventure or two by Traveller fans such as yourself, and a few other surprises.

As always, my friends, I thank you all for your continued support and enthusiasm over the Stellar Reaches fanzine. I continue to do this for the joy it gives me, and for the ability to contribute to the Traveller community. Your support and patronage are definitely appreciated. Now, let us put aside our distractions and get to the meat of the matter. Please enjoy this issue, and if it helps your Traveller experience, then I have done what I set out to do.

Prepare To Jump,
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Editor, Stellar Reaches fanzine
http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/

Excellent work Flynn!

Should have let me know about the art situation... I would help if I can

Great work, Flynn next time, lets get the advert on the inside cover...as we agreed. And, you can change the location to look under: Play-by-Post, where it currently resides. Many thanks!

Flynn,
If my attempts at Art are up to your standards, they certainly aren't going to be of the high quality that I have seen on here from Scarecrow, Andrew or Tom, I can do some for the next issue. (Mostly I just mess with Poser stuff.
)

Originally posted by kafka47:
Great work, Flynn next time, lets get the advert on the inside cover...as we agreed. And, you can change the location to look under: Play-by-Post, where it currently resides. Many thanks!
Sorry, I had forgotten. :(

Will Do,
Flynn

Flynn - Excellent work!
JohnD of the TML / COTI / Stellar Reaches - yes, it's THAT me
thanks....will look and save and comment over next 30 days or so...

JohnD

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
By the way, want a Type-J Seeker (deckplan, HG design and descriptive text) submission for Issue #6?
Not that I would want to put a crimp in anyone's submissions for this excellent publication, but wouldn't that violate FFE's 'Fair Use' policy?

Originally posted by the Bromgrev:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
By the way, want a Type-J Seeker (deckplan, HG design and descriptive text) submission for Issue #6?
Not that I would want to put a crimp in anyone's submissions for this excellent publication, but wouldn't that violate FFE's 'Fair Use' policy? </font>[/QUOTE]If the HG stats are generated by me, if I draw up the deckplan and if I write the description, do I violate anything? The only thing in common between this and any Seeker published by FFE/Quicklink/Avenger is the basic concept (a variant on the 100-dton scout/courier used to prospect belts). Other than that, I won't be copying a word from any FFE source, and the deckplans would be my work.

Or would the posting of ANY variant of a cannonical ship be a copyright infringement? In this case, these forums are full of such infringements, and so are many fansites; do you know how many fan-made stats, descriptions and deckplans exist for, say, Scout/Couriers online?

I see, if you are generating your own HG stats, I suppose you should be in the clear. In this case you're basically creating your own variant, if I understand correctly.

Yes, I am creating my own variant - the HG stats are my work (using HGS), the deckplan is my work (and my design), the description is going to be written by me according to my deckplans.

I might laso post the LBB2 design of the Seeker given in S4, for those who prefer to use LBB2, but this is one paragraph alone (I'll fully credit it, ofcourse
), which IIRC is well within the Fair Use guidelines. The rest would be my work and my work alone. But the deckplan is designed according to the tonnages generated in my HG design, not the LBB2 design given in S4. And so is the description.

So long as it is original work, and it sounds like it is, I'm all for it. Submit away, my friend!

Thanks,
Flynn

Back