• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Speech by a veteran pirate-hunter

jatay3

SOC-13
A Pirate Hunter Speaks

At the Confederation Patrol Academy "Oega-Bistar Hus"(Guardian House), at Brennistein, Tizon.

Introduction: As the Cadets are aware it is the custom here for officers of distinguished service to speak before us and give us the benefit of there experience-as well as entertaining us by their hopefully factual tales of their deeds(dutiful laughter from the cadets). Therefore I present Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson. Aelfwine has an honorable record of twenty-three years protecting the Hearthfires. He is also the only serving Ringbearer in the Confederation Patrol. Therefore I call you all to hear Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson!

Aelfwine: Cadets! I am pleased to speak to this class today. It seems like only yesterday when I was hear myself dreaming of the great and adventurous deeds I would do and the many songs that would be sung about me. Unfortunately I was to learn that the tales of the recruiters were not completely accurate.
Cadets. You are destined to a hard life. You will face week after week of tedium, discomfort, and indignity interspersed with occasional periods of extreme danger. Often, while your kin are feasting and making merry, you will be off in the cold void keeping watch. Yet the path you have chosen is an honorable one, for you have a high task-to protect the innocent, and keep them from harm. In the days to come you will no doubt many times curse yourself for your foolishness in following this calling-even as I did. But if you serve well then when the brave and mighty are gathered you will need only say, "I served with the Patrol", and they will give you respect.
I am come to talk about the enemy you will face. This enemy is not the Imperium, or the Darrian's-these are only your foes because of the whims of statecraft. Why every year when it is possible the IISS sends us good wishes for Yule and we send them good wishes for the Emperor's Birthday(some cadets grin and others give shocked looks).
No your chief enemy is an eternal enemy, a foe of all Sophants of good will. He is relentless, ever searching for the slightest spot of weakness or unwariness. You must be as relentless and as cunning as he. This enemy haunts all the starlanes and pursueing him is your calling. For it is the highest and most honorable task of the Confederation Patrol to pursue pirates-the predators of the stars.
Pirates come in many categories each of which must be faced in different ways. None of these categories are absoulute and they often overlap. Nonetheless this is a fairly good description of a few of the types of pirates you will face.
The first category is what I will call, "the Foolish". These are a type you are perhaps likely to see most often. They are inexperienced people out for a quick fortune. Or sometimes desperate people driven by their fate into outlawry. They barely have the skills to steer a starship, let alone attack others with one. They have only the most basic notion of tactics. No skald will sing your praises when you capture one. Yet they should not be underestimated. For their danger lies not in their prowess but in their unpredictability. You can never know what they will do. More important, you can never know what they will do to their victims. If ever you find any of this class with captives be very careful! Fortunately few of these live long enough to gain experience. Those that do "graduate" into other categories.
Another type which is encountered frequently is "shapeshifters". These are ordinary merchant vessels-often Far Traders, which are favored for the obscurity natural to a tramp ship, and the extra jump ability. But the most important criteria for pirates of this type is that they are easy to aquire and easy to refit for their work. Typically there ships have little offensive or defensive weaponry mounted on them-sometimes no more then a typical merchantman. They chiefly rely on their large crews.
Shapeshifters work in small packs, sometimes even single vessels. They mingle among more peaceful vessels, imitating them. When an opportunity arises they will cut out a target and capture it. The methods of doing this are many. One popular one is to give a false distress signal and then board the ship as soon as it tries to dock. Another method, used often among multi-ship bands is to disable the target with a low intensity beam weapon or Electro-magnetic Pulse missile. In such a situation the ship will many times surrender; if it does not it can be fairly easily subdued. Shapeshifters seldom take prizes, because of the nature of operating close to the traffic. They usually plunder their prey, and leave hoping to hide themselves in their anonymity.
Dealing with shapeshifters is an art. One can look for various clues. A typical example is battle damage on the bow. Very few merchant vessels have battle damage on the bow for the obvious reason that they are seldom in pursuit of anybody. By contrast, this is quite common for pirates who are often the pursuer.
Another type is "the Snatchers". These types use tactics much like privateers-many were privateers in the late war. They lurk in the outer orbit of a system, or follow known convoy routes hoping for stragglers. As you know it is almost impossible to jump a whole convoy and arrive at the destination in perfect formation. Snatchers take advantage of this. This type is usually better equipped and frequently more skillfull then shapeshifters. They also take prizes more often and attack larger vessels more often.
The tactics for dealing with these have some resemblance to those of warfare. As many of you are transfer students from the Tizonian Naval Academy, and a few have seen actual service you will find it easier to adjust to dealing with this type. When pursued snatchers will attempt to trust in speed or stealth to save them, often hiding in asteroid belts or near minor planets. It often becomes the familiar hide and seek with sensors.
Then there are the ground attack pirates who attempt to plunder isolated settlements. I would estimate that it is unlikely that you will meet these often as most of the Sword Worlds is to well defended for this method to be practical. But you never know.
"Professionals" are another type. These are the most dangerous. They are connected to large organizations including several ships and port facililities. Sometimes they are even sponsored by a foreign state. They are far better equipped and better trained then other types. Their tactics will vary but they generally act in a more confidant manner.
And finally-and I hear a great sigh of relief at the word "finally"- there are the Vargr Corsairs. These are a special type of "professionals". They have very large organizations; a campaign against them is often as much a military operation as a police one.
Like everything else about Vargr, their tactics vary to a nearly infinite degree. A common one though is simple, but brutally effective. They descend on a system in overwhelming force, pick it dry and then move on. They continue this until enough counterforce is gathered to drive them away, at which point they flee, sometimes dispersing in the process. All that can be done against this method is to get the alarm out as early as possible. Fortunately they of necessity are tied to a home base which can be attacked. I have gone on several missions searching for corsair bases. It is a dangerous and difficult duty, but it must be done.
Well I see that this is all the time I have. May you serve well and may you bring pride to the Hearthland.
Questions, anyone?

Bill Cameron
Marquis
CID # 877

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 04:04 AMJanuary 26, 2006 04:04 AM Profile for Bill Cameron Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
quote: Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson asked: Questions, anyone?Cadet Ponsonby replied: Uh... paragraphs?

Have fun,
------------------------------------
Please explain your question, Cadet Ponsonby

Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson asked: Please explain your question, Cadet Ponsonby
The cadet replies: Uh... look at the monobloc of test you provided us. Do really think anyone is going to bother chiseling any meaning out of that lump? Is there a reason it's in that format? Uh... and why don't you quote like everyone else does too? Again, that makes your 'lectures' less likely to be read and commented on.

Have fun,
Bill

The cadet replies: Uh... look at the monobloc of test you provided us. Do really think anyone is going to bother chiseling any meaning out of that lump? Is there a reason it's in that format? Uh... and why don't you quote like everyone else does too? Again, that makes your 'lectures' less likely to be read and commented on.
-----------------------
Aelfwine Olafson:
Mr. Ponsonby I hope you are not that forward with all your superior officers.

Originally posted by jatay3:
Mr. Ponsonby I hope you are not that forward with all your superior officers.
Jatay3,

First, you're not my superior.

Second, I posted my first request 'in character' because you posted your pirate hunting ideas 'in character' and I though it would be neat.

Third, if you post your materials in the Kalbfusian monobloc style they are less accessible to any readers and, being less accessible, they will be less commented on. That is what you want isn't it? A discussion of pirate hunting tactics? Or is this just going to be the sound of one hand clapping?

There are paragraphs somehwere in that blotch you first posted. Use the Edit function and insert blank lines between them. Then people can read what you have to say and the thread will begin.

Waiting anxiously,
Bill

A Pirate Hunter Speaks

At the Confederation Patrol Academy "Oega-Bistar Hus"(Guardian House), at Brennistein, Tizon.

Introduction: As the Cadets are aware it is the custom here for officers of distinguished service to speak before us and give us the benefit of there experience-as well as entertaining us by their hopefully factual tales of their deeds(dutiful laughter from the cadets). Therefore I present Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson. Aelfwine has an honorable record of twenty-three years protecting the Hearthfires. He is also the only serving Ringbearer in the Confederation Patrol. Therefore I call you all to hear Kapiten Aelfwine Olafson!

Aelfwine: Cadets! I am pleased to speak to this class today. It seems like only yesterday when I was hear myself dreaming of the great and adventurous deeds I would do and the many songs that would be sung about me. Unfortunately I was to learn that the tales of the recruiters were not completely accurate.

Cadets. You are destined to a hard life. You will face week after week of tedium, discomfort, and indignity interspersed with occasional periods of extreme danger. Often, while your kin are feasting and making merry, you will be off in the cold void keeping watch. Yet the path you have chosen is an honorable one, for you have a high task-to protect the innocent, and keep them from harm. In the days to come you will no doubt many times curse yourself for your foolishness in following this calling-even as I did. But if you serve well then when the brave and mighty are gathered you will need only say, "I served with the Patrol", and they will give you respect.

I am come to talk about the enemy you will face. This enemy is not the Imperium, or the Darrian's-these are only your foes because of the whims of statecraft. Why every year when it is possible the IISS sends us good wishes for Yule and we send them good wishes for the Emperor's Birthday(some cadets grin and others give shocked looks).

No your chief enemy is an eternal enemy, a foe of all Sophants of good will. He is relentless, ever searching for the slightest spot of weakness or unwariness. You must be as relentless and as cunning as he. This enemy haunts all the starlanes and pursueing him is your calling. For it is the highest and most honorable task of the Confederation Patrol to pursue pirates-the predators of the stars.

Pirates come in many categories each of which must be faced in different ways. None of these categories are absoulute and they often overlap. Nonetheless this is a fairly good description of a few of the types of pirates you will face.
The first category is what I will call, "the Foolish". These are a type you are perhaps likely to see most often. They are inexperienced people out for a quick fortune. Or sometimes desperate people driven by their fate into outlawry. They barely have the skills to steer a starship, let alone attack others with one.

These have only the most basic notion of tactics. No skald will sing your praises when you capture one. Yet they should not be underestimated. For their danger lies not in their prowess but in their unpredictability. You can never know what they will do. More important, you can never know what they will do to their victims. If ever you find any of this class with captives be very careful! Fortunately few of these live long enough to gain experience. Those that do "graduate" into other categories.

Another type which is encountered frequently is "shapeshifters". These are ordinary merchant vessels-often Far Traders, which are favored for the obscurity natural to a tramp ship, and the extra jump ability. But the most important criteria for pirates of this type is that they are easy to aquire and easy to refit for their work. Typically there ships have little offensive or defensive weaponry mounted on them-sometimes no more then a typical merchantman. They chiefly rely on their large crews.

Shapeshifters work in small packs, sometimes even single vessels. They mingle among more peaceful vessels, imitating them. When an opportunity arises they will cut out a target and capture it. The methods of doing this are many. One popular one is to give a false distress signal and then board the ship as soon as it tries to dock. Another method, used often among multi-ship bands is to disable the target with a low intensity beam weapon or Electro-magnetic Pulse missile. In such a situation the ship will many times surrender; if it does not it can be fairly easily subdued. Shapeshifters seldom take prizes, because of the nature of operating close to the traffic. They usually plunder their prey, and leave hoping to hide themselves in their anonymity.

Dealing with shapeshifters is an art. One can look for various clues. A typical example is battle damage on the bow. Very few merchant vessels have battle damage on the bow for the obvious reason that they are seldom in pursuit of anybody. By contrast, this is quite common for pirates who are often the pursuer.

Another type is "the Snatchers". These types use tactics much like privateers-many were privateers in the late war. They lurk in the outer orbit of a system, or follow known convoy routes hoping for stragglers. As you know it is almost impossible to jump a whole convoy and arrive at the destination in perfect formation. Snatchers take advantage of this. This type is usually better equipped and frequently more skillfull then shapeshifters. They also take prizes more often and attack larger vessels more often.

The tactics for dealing with these have some resemblance to those of warfare. As many of you are transfer students from the Tizonian Naval Academy, and a few have seen actual service you will find it easier to adjust to dealing with this type. When pursued snatchers will attempt to trust in speed or stealth to save them, often hiding in asteroid belts or near minor planets. It often becomes the familiar hide and seek with sensors.
Then there are the ground attack pirates who attempt to plunder isolated settlements. I would estimate that it is unlikely that you will meet these often as most of the Sword Worlds is to well defended for this method to be practical. But you never know.

"Professionals" are another type. These are the most dangerous. They are connected to large organizations including several ships and port facililities. Sometimes they are even sponsored by a foreign state. They are far better equipped and better trained then other types. Their tactics will vary but they generally act in a more confidant manner.

And finally-and I hear a great sigh of relief at the word "finally"- there are the Vargr Corsairs. These are a special type of "professionals". They have very large organizations; a campaign against them is often as much a military operation as a police one.

Like everything else about Vargr, their tactics vary to a nearly infinite degree. A common one though is simple, but brutally effective. They descend on a system in overwhelming force, pick it dry and then move on. They continue this until enough counterforce is gathered to drive them away, at which point they flee, sometimes dispersing in the process. All that can be done against this method is to get the alarm out as early as possible. Fortunately they of necessity are tied to a home base which can be attacked. I have gone on several missions searching for corsair bases. It is a dangerous and difficult duty, but it must be done.

Well I see that this is all the time I have. May you serve well and may you bring pride to the Hearthland.

Questions, anyone?
------------------------------------
Does that satisfy you, Cadet Ponsonby? When I was at the Academy we did not consider it the lecturers job to fix a glitch in the recording datacloth.

Thank you, jatay. Easier to read.

Edit: Interesting take, jatay, and some good points.

The Sword Worlders must have really short attention spans, though - if they give a great sigh of relief after less than 5 minutes of talk.... ;)
end edit

It is much better to read now and before I forward my questions I'll just scan the boards to ensure my posts are correctly formatted and in no way appears "kalbfusian".

:D

more seriously, I hope I have not inconveniced you to much?
Jatay3,

Inconvienced me? The fellow who asked you three times to make it legible? Check out Fritz88's and Border Reiver's comments for your answer to that question. Until you made it readable, no one had bothered to read it. Imagine that!

And you didn't have to repost the entire thing. It would have been far more easy to edited the original blotch. You wrote it after all, so you knew were the original's paragraphs were located.

Unless... oh no... the original didn't have any paragraphs either, did it? :(

Have fun,
Bill

Herr Kapiten explained: Does that satisfy you, Cadet Ponsonby? When I was at the Academy we did not consider it the lecturers job to fix a glitch in the recording datacloth
To which Cadet Ponsonby replied: Uh... it wasn't a glitch in my datacloth. In Data Processing 101 we learned an old Earth term; Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Enjoying my reading,
Bill

Unless... oh no... the original didn't have any paragraphs either, did it?
---------------
the original did have paragraphs and they were signaled by making the last line shorter.

Inconvienced me? The fellow who asked you three times to make it legible?
-----------------------
by the way, the requests took some time to decipher as well

but i suspect we are annoying people

Question: Where do these folks hide when they're not actually attacking ships? I mean, they've got to refuel, refit, rearm, recruit, right? I mean the "shapeshifters" category is obvious, but what about the others?

Edit: I started skimming the thread, and when I saw the better formatted speech, I read that one. Smooth your feathers, Bill. jatay, have you used the UBB code at all? end edit

Fritz88
Peer of the Realm
CID # 4547

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 01:47 PMJanuary 26, 2006 01:47 PM Profile for Fritz88 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Question: Where do these folks hide when they're not actually attacking ships? I mean, they've got to refuel, refit, rearm, recruit, right? I mean the "shapeshifters" category is obvious, but what about the others?

Edit: I started skimming the thread, and when I saw the better formatted speech, I read that one. Smooth your feathers, Bill. jatay, have you used the UBB code at all? end edit
--------------------------------------
Aelfwine: that is an interesting question Cadet Fritz. Those who are part of a large syndicate can usually find a port where no one "asks questions".
After all that is the nature of being part of a syndicate.

Independant "Snatchers" have different problems. As I said the categories are not absoulute-often a "Snatcher" can try to imitate a "shapeshifter, at least for the purpose of repair, rest, etc. The chief difference is not in this area but in how the actual attack/evasion is made. It must be remembered that there are few classes of purpose built raiders-this is why. However there are several classes of merchantmen that have greater performance than is typical. Luxury carriers and mail packets are notable in this regard.

Also, after a major war all privateer vessels need to make their living. People won't necessarily find it odd that a ship that just visited had less beam and higher performance of weapons and sensors then they are accustomed. In any case if they are suspicious, often they will prefer not to ask until the ship leaves.

Furthermore in many places, mercenary contracting is regarded as a respectable ocupation. If a vessel looks unusually warlike, that is always an explaination.

When a pursuing vessel arrives in port and questions the local workers, naturally all the signs will point to the guilty vessel. But by that time it will be well away. And in any case it is likly that the pursuing vessel won't find it: tracking the disturbances from a jump is a difficult process, and it is not agreed how much is science, how much folklore, and how much random chance. Because of these things a pirate has a reasonable chance of evadeing pursuit until he is far from a large intersteller polity.

In your estimation, which of these pirates will last the longest? It seems as though the Snatchers would be relatively short lived, from what you've said.

Aelfwine continues: "another thing that protects 'snatchers' is the possibility of their crime being unknown, or of it being inpractcale to pursue them.
Take a typical convoy. We will say it has one Tizonian destroyer for muscle, and four Confederation Patrol vessels to do the main work-that is a fairly average arrangement. That is enough to protect a convoy in formation. However it does not provide enough to pursue for a length of time because it is always bound to the convoy

When a raider comes it waits for a vessel that has gone far enough astray that help cannot arrive on time. I remember several times that I have waited frustrated while a pirate speed off with his prize in front of my eyes, and I couldn't do a thing about it.

You may ask, "why don't we have better protection". Unfortunatly the answer is frustratingly simple-their is only so much to go around

All is not gloom however. If you do see it jump you have a fair chance of following it, not least because there are only so many possible destinations.

I remember one time when I actually jumped before my quarry and got there a day early. There they were coming in for a landing talking of all the debauchery they were about to enjoy from their spoil. Just as they came in for a landing their we were waiting for him, as well as the local constable and about two dozen men. You could almost feel sorry for that poor pirate.

Take a typical convoy. We will say it has one Tizonian destroyer for muscle, and four Confederation Patrol vessels to do the main work-that is a fairly average arrangement.
When a raider comes it waits for a vessel that has gone far enough astray that help cannot arrive on time.
Jatay3,

A Tizon destroyer and four patrollers covering a convoy. A vessel goes astray and help can't arrive in time? Hmmm...

Tizon is B386887. That gives us a diameter of 3K miles or 4.8K kilometers. 100D limit is then 480K kilometers off. Using the start-turnover-stop course, a one-gee vessel can cover that distance in 3.88 hours.

Detection in CT is 0.5 light-seconds for commercial vessels; ~150K kilometers. Detection for military vessels is 2 light-seconds; ~595K kilometers. Once detected, a vessel can be tracked by any other vessel out to 3 light-seconds; ~892K kilometers. Any vessel you can detect you can fire upon.

So, the convoy and it's escorts can travel between the safety of the port and the safety of jump space in 3.88 hours. The military escorts' sensors and weapons have enough range to detect and fire upon any vessel within ~595K kilometers, which happens to be distance over 100K kilometers greater than the 100D limit distance they are covering.

And yet a priate can cut out a straggler while the escort watches impotently.

Come again?

The 'Kapiten' is obviously part of YTU. Please share with us the ranges of sensors and weapons IYTU that allow a pirate to capture a vessel in the manner the 'Kapiten' suggests. In CT, HG2, and all other versions of Traveller, the weapons aboard a vessel at Tizon could cover the entire 100D limit sphere without the vessel even breaking orbit.

Have fun,
Bill

Back