• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

So how much power is an Energy Point (EP)?

korvin

SOC-12
I have been wondering how much power is an EP in kW, Mw, Gw, Tw, or joules whould it be?
Anyone have an idea. Since i cannot find a reference anywere.

Originally posted by korvin:
I have been wondering how much power is an EP in kW, Mw, Gw, Tw, or joules whould it be?
Anyone have an idea. Since i cannot find a reference anywere.
One CT energy point is 250 Mw.

Les

I'm not sure what you did there, but I think you might have made a math error (divided, instead of multiplied). Since 250 GW produces 250 billion joules in the period of 1 second, the amount of energy produced in an hour is actually going to be in the hundreds of Terajoules range (specifically, 900 Terajoules...or 900 TW-h). So, as Les says, 1 EP = 250 MW, it would be equivalent to 900 GW-h.

Also, I would recommend just sticking with standard power ratings, however. When I was in the nuclear engineering program with the U.S. Navy, all of our reactors were (and are) rated in mere megawatts. It's easier to not have to think how long the units have been producing energy. (I know that P&L companies measure in kWh, but that's because they're charging for the total amount of energy the customer consumes...the producer still rates its plants in units of power, not energy.)

Back