• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sniping

stofsk

SOC-13
I have a question regarding the use of snipers. Would not the sniper attack count as a surprise round, which means the target has no dex/dodge bonus to AC? What about damage - would it count as stamina damage? Go straight to Lifeblood? Automatic critical?

I've always played that a sniper automatically gets surprise unless detected somehow before they shoot. They may get a couple of suprise shots if the targets don't realise what is happening.
As to damage, all damage in T20 is taken against lifeblood after armour reduction, while the full damage is taken from stamina as well with no reduction for armour.
Hope this helps.

The problem is snipers need a one-shot/one-kill, otherwise they get detected and need to withdraw. Therefore, my thought was that any damage they inflict on the target goes into Lifeblood damage to kill the target quickly.

Use the called shot option to hit an unarmoured location, that should be enough
file_23.gif

Originally posted by stofsk:
I have a question regarding the use of snipers. Would not the sniper attack count as a surprise round, which means the target has no dex/dodge bonus to AC? What about damage - would it count as stamina damage? Go straight to Lifeblood? Automatic critical?
If the target is unaware it counts as a surprise round and the target is considered flat-footed and thus do not get their dex/dodge bonus.

d20 Modern SRD:
"Combatants who were unaware don’t get to act in the surprise round."

If the sniper has the sniper feat they get an automatic critical if the shot hits. See the text for more info on how the feat works.

Casey

On the Fantasy Side of D20 Green Ronin Publishing has publshed a book called "The Assassin's Handbook" (GRR1301). This book has many rules on assasanation and assain's. In chapter one it features the "Assassin Core Class". This assassin has a 2nd level abiltiy called "Killing Blow" Basically once per day any time the assasin target is denied his Dex bonus to AC (ie flatfooted or Flanking) the assasin makes a sneak attack and if that attack hits then that attack is a coup-de-grace attack. If this attack is sucessful then the assassin automatically scores a critical hit and if the target survives that damage then the target must make a Fotitude save (DC10+ Damage Dealt) or Die!!!
As the Assassin gains levels he gets to do this more that one time per day.

This ability pretty mutch assures 1 shot 1 kill!

Becarfull using this In places that I have seen this used it it pretty controviseral (esp when used against PC's). So be ready for some serious backlash If you decide to use this against your players.
smilinggm
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
omega.gif

Let's take a look at the good ol' sniping routine eh?

Sniper Lee wants to shoot Target John. Bill takes his trusty Rifle and sets up in a nest with a clear line of sight to where John will be.

John shows up as expected and Lee takes his shot.

First, John is flat-footed, so gets no DEX bonus to his AC. Lee is taking extra time to aim, and should have some scope or gadget to offsett any range penalties. If John is armored, Lee can take a called shot modifier to strike an unarmored spot (unless John is wearing Combat Armor, or other fully-encompassing defense, we'll assume he's not for purposes of this scenario since if he was that heavily armored, Lee wouldn't be sending rifle slugs downrange.)

Result is that Lee has a DC in the neighborhood of 10 to hit Dave on his attack roll. Pretty good odds considering that if Lee had no bonuses at all he's still going to hit 50% of the time. But Lee in this scenario is a trained professional we can assume safely that he's going to hit his target pretty easily.

Now, John's just been struck by a Rifle shot to his Unarmored Tender Spot. Lee has the Sniper Feat and thus inflicts an Automatic Critical (he took a full four rounds to aim very carefully, thus negating the -4 Sniper penalty). John takes a full 2d12 to his Lifeblood (as well as 2d12 to his stamina) since a Rifle does 1d12 with a X2 Critical.

On average, John suffers 13 points of Lifeblood Damage, which will take down anyone of Con 12 or less.

And that's just with a TL5 Rifle. A Bolt-Action Italian-made combat rifle.

An ACR would have done 2d12+4 which would average out at 17 points of damage.

A Gauss Rifle would have given 4d12 damage which splatters targets with an average of 26 points of damage.

All that's left is for Abraham to turn his video of the event to the Authorities, and Martin to make a three hour movie out of the aftermath.

So scoring a critical hit goes straight to Lifeblood rather than Stamina? Or is this an effect of the surprise round? Or both?

That's basically what I wanted to know. It makes sense if it were so, but it also puts the PCs at considerable risk.

Originally posted by Morte:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stofsk:
So scoring a critical hit goes straight to Lifeblood rather than Stamina?
Yes. </font>[/QUOTE]How do you increase Lifeblood then? I'm under the impression it's equal to your Con score. Is there someway to increase it? Equipment, implants etc? Feats? Sorry if this sounds like an obvious question with an equally obvious answer, but I can't find the answer in my handbook.

A critical hit does damage to both lifeblood and stamina, simultaneously. For that matter, all damage affects lifeblood and stamina simultaneously. However armor only defends against lifeblood damage, so an armored character tends to take more stamina than lifeblood in the long run (and consequently survives longer.)

The Toughness Feat gives +3 Stamina and +1 Lifeblood each time it is taken (and, as implied can be taken more than once).

Finally, you can increase your lifeblood by increasing your Constitution score.

Stofsk

Pardon me if I read something into your question that's not intended, but you may not have realised that T20's system is meant to be very dangerous to the characters. You won't ever be able to have a character who can survive being sniped by a Gauss Rifle unless you're lucky and the shooter rolls low and tough with few other feats.

From an implant standpoint, there is currently no defined cybertech that increases one's Lifeblood score. However, I'd allow cybernetic armor at TL 9 or 10 depending on how CyberPunk you want YTU.

If you have access to the old Shadowrun Sourcebook "Shadowtech", there are some great implants that work off of Biotechnology. A few of those might give an increase to CON (and thus Lifeblood).

Originally posted by womble:
Stofsk
Pardon me if I read something into your question that's not intended, but you may not have realised that T20's system is meant to be very dangerous to the characters. You won't ever be able to have a character who can survive being sniped by a Gauss Rifle unless you're lucky and the shooter rolls low and tough with few other feats.
No, I realised it just fine - I simply didn't know the nuances of the rules. I'm the kind of guy who buys a rulebook, but doesn't read it from cover to cover - that makes me sound stupid, but it's just something I've gotten used to. I'm still very much the beginner with RPGs in general, and T20 especially.

As per standard D20 you must win your move silently and hide rolls versus opponents spot and listen checks. Damage applies to stamina and life blood depending on your weapon. The only advantage of this feat as opposed to a called shot is the reduction of penalty -4 to -1 if you can stay hiden long enough.

Originally posted by Morte:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stofsk:
So scoring a critical hit goes straight to Lifeblood rather than Stamina?
Yes. </font>[/QUOTE]Any firearms damage would go straight to lifeblood, just not critical hits.

Traveller personal combat has always been extremely lethal. Actually lethality has gone down a little in T20 vs CT. In CT the average weapon did 3-4 D6 damage the highest stat you could have was 15 average stat was 7. Your first damage was applied directly to one physical stat randomly. If one stat was reduced to 0 you were rendered unconcious. The first hit would normally take your target down regardless of personal armor. Once unconscious you walked up and finished the job. Gauss rifles, Ram Grenades and FGMP and PGMP weapons were extremely lethal and you could take out squads in a single combat round. (Especially FGMPs 16D damage Shotgun and autofire rules at the same time. or something equally deadly.) Everyone in the same general area as your target took 16D damage. (even if you rolled all ones your target still goes down.) T20 at least wearing armor, barring Critical hits, you can survive getting hit.

Your average 18 year old had a 7 stat. I'm not sure that's true of most characters. On the one hand, you have aging, which militates for a lower average, OTOH, you have stat boosting, which is the opposite. Average characters I've seen in play typically had something like 898 or something like that, so that's about 25 points. And the carry over is a rule I missed... have a page ref? (and an edition ref, since it may or may not have been in all editions?). Atypical players have one or two physical stats above 10. That makes them very hard to down first shot.

Now, in MT, the pen/att rules made sure most hits were 50% damage (if you wore armour like the typical player). And they didn't seem to have the 'all damage applied to first stat' (well, in fact, you had to do 3-4 points of damage, where that's roughly equivalent to CT's 3 to 4 dice, to knock the typical PC out.... and usually a hit would do 1 to 2 points, based on armour effects).

Originally posted by eclipse:
Any firearms damage would go straight to lifeblood, just not critical hits. [/QB]
could you post a page reference I must have skipped the page. Or more likely it did not sink in.

Back