• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Silhouette Traveller

Some of you may remember me posting a while back regarding a SpaceMaster/New Era Star Vikings Campaign.

Well, I've since changed my mind and am now planning on running a Silhouette/New Era Star Vikings Campaign.

I think I've got things under control, and am planning on picking up SilCore and either one or both of the Core Command Armoury and Jovian Chronicles Equipment Manual in the not-to-distant future. At the moment, my plan is probably to run pretty much with straight Silhouette mechanics, and just use the New Era for the politcal, cultural and geographical backdrop.

Anyway, any tips, guidance or general comments from anyone else who may have integrated (or thought about integrating) Silhouette and Traveller in the past would be much appreciated.

Well, since the CORE rulebook for Silhouette includes conversion notes to/from D20, you can use some of the T20 design/characters to help you juge your conversion from either systems

That's smart thinking.

Unfortunately, I have no intention of picking up any d20 Traveller stuff at this point. I'm using the Traveller: The New Era main rulebook.

Between Silhouette, Rolemaster, De Bellus Multitudinus, and maybe some Renegade Legion, I have no gaming cash to spare for Traveller d20.

VERY good point Father Fletch....Its for FREE...those words are sweet!!!...like music!!

Originally posted by sablewyvern:
...Well, I've since changed my mind and am now planning on running a Silhouette/New Era Star Vikings Campaign.

I think I've got things under control, and am planning on picking up SilCore and either one or both of the Core Command Armoury and Jovian Chronicles Equipment Manual in the not-to-distant future. At the moment, my plan is probably to run pretty much with straight Silhouette mechanics, and just use the New Era for the politcal, cultural and geographical backdrop.

Anyway, any tips, guidance or general comments from anyone else who may have integrated (or thought about integrating) Silhouette and Traveller in the past would be much appreciated.
Hi, Sablewyvern. I've been a big fan of Silhouette as a system for many years. In fact, when CT grew into MT (and after a couple years of RPG depression), I chose the early Silhouette system over MT, GT, and T4. Since then, I've run three large campaigns in Silhouette:
a. a traditional Heavy Gear campaign set on Terranova,
b. a Gear Krieg game (alternate history WW2) set in 1941 with the players as members of a British Commando unit, and
c. a Traveller milieu game set in the Vanguard Reaches and using Silhouette as the rules system.

Then I got involved in T20. :cool:

Because the Sil v003 rules are new, most gamers are still making the transition from Sil v2. I own a copy of v003 (but haven't had a chance to use it yet) and the system core is the same. If you're running a game where the setting is from Traveller, and Silhouette is the engine, it's very straight forward to run. The same works in reverse.

The two biggest differences are:

a. No fixed classes, and
b. Levels are optional (and unneccessary, IMHO).

Silhouette character generation starts with a certain number of points for each player to use to build a character using an open shopping list. The options are skills, perks and flaws.
Perks and flaws work alot like feats in d20 systems, except perks cost points, and flaws give you more points to work with. If you're really into realistic characters, flaws are a good way to make your hero more human. Skills are an open list, so if you want a techie with combat skills, you just build him.

In Silhouette, the GM awards XP based upon the activities of the players in ongoing play (including how well they stay in character). As the players accumulate XPs, they can then improve their characters on an ongoing basis, as the GM allows. So character improvement is incremental, not based upon major "level-based" improvements.

When you, as the GM, start out, your players may be intimidated by having a wide-open skills list to choose from. Much of the already published Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Gear Krieg and Tribe 8 setting material already includes character templates for those who don't want to do it from scratch. There are hundreds of templates available. Or use the T20 chargen material as mentioned above, and do the conversion to Silhouette.

If you've got any specific questions, I'd be glad to help, or check out The Dream Pod 9 Pod Corps page to find your local Silhouette player support group.

Good gaming!

Paul Nemeth
AA

That's smart thinking.

Unfortunately, I have no intention of picking up any d20 Traveller stuff at this point. I'm using the Traveller: The New Era main rulebook.

Between Silhouette, Rolemaster, De Bellus Multitudinus, and maybe some Renegade Legion, I have no gaming cash to spare for Traveller d20.
Then don`t buy it... but be sure to leech every sample ships on the web and convert them to Silhouette ;)

Thanks guys. Had no idea there was a T20-lite. I'm on to that.

Antares: I'm pretty familiar with Silhouette, being the proud owner of HG 1st edition. Normally I wouldn't think much of a system as simple as Silhouette, but they've done a brilliant job putting together a really fast-flowing game that doesn't play as if the system is as light-weight as it is.

Casey: don't actually have DBM yet; it's been on the cards for a while, but I haven't been able to get the start-up cash together. Very soon, hopefully. Then I shall take the field with Indian elephant hordes.
file_22.gif

Antares: I'm pretty familiar with Silhouette, being the proud owner of HG 1st edition. Normally I wouldn't think much of a system as simple as Silhouette, but they've done a brilliant job putting together a really fast-flowing game that doesn't play as if the system is as light-weight as it is.
Are there any particular integration issues that you're running up against?

Paul Nemeth
AA

Not at this stage, mainly because I haven't really started yet (waiting until I get my hands on SilCore). Just fishing around for any info or thoughts that haven't otherwise occurred to me.

Like nabbing t20-lite.

It all seems like it's going to be pretty straight forward, but I'll definitely post back here if anything comes up that I need some input on.

Casey: don't actually have DBM yet; it's been on the cards for a while, but I haven't been able to get the start-up cash together. Very soon, hopefully. Then I shall take the field with Indian elephant hordes.
file_22.gif
Well depending on how many figs you already have you may want to look into getting DBA and the appropriate DBM Army book. Only 12 stands needed per army (or 24 if you play the doudle version). The DBM book will help you make sure any stands you make will work in a DBM army and so you know what the stands represent.

However both games are not 100% compatible rules-wise unfortunately. I find DBM makes a more challenging game but takes a longer time.

Elephants are so cool. I have some for the Hordes or Hellenistic types. Locally most armies are Essex or the new Old Glory 15's. However the OG 15's are sometimes noticeably larger. Great for bulk purchases. However Essex's sculpting is sometimes better and they sell pre-packaged DBA and DBM armies.

Casey

Originally posted by Casey:
Well depending on how many figs you already have you may want to look into getting DBA and the appropriate DBM Army book. Only 12 stands needed per army (or 24 if you play the doudle version). The DBM book will help you make sure any stands you make will work in a DBM army and so you know what the stands represent.
That sounds like particularly useful, wise and (most importantly) financially helpful advice. Thanks.

Back