• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New Broadsword deckplans posted

Tanuki

SOC-13
I've posted new/varient deckplans for the 800 dton Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser at http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/traveller/

Please take a look. I'd appreciate comments and suggestions.

I'm calling this the Longsword subclass as it differs quite a bit from the old GDW deckplans. I computed volumes and the Broadsword, as published, is actually over 1200 dtons -- a bit more generous than the usual 20%. This one is a lot closer to being the right size.

Keep up the good work. I really appreciate all of your deck plans. Have you considered a design with a smaller owner’s cabin? Or do you visualize that as acting as the office for the merc platoon based aboard ship, thereby filling multiple purposes?
IIRC during the age of sail the captains cabin was often used as a surgery/officers infirmary during battles. I imagine that the owners cabin could fill much the same roles. BTW if it had really good C3I suites it could act as a battle control center.
The main reason I mention these other uses are because I always imagined space aboard ship at a premium.

Tanuki, those are sweet. You have just been added to my fav sites list man. OUTSTANDING work. The "Happy Fun Ball" rides again!!!!YUS!(does handstands, happy heretic jig!). Keep up the fire!

Hey - LOOKS JUST GREAT - I will order 50 of em!!!.....I will be putting them to GOOD use!!!!.....when can you Ship Yards Deliver????

Same Deal as Before Right.....CASH????
file_22.gif
file_22.gif

Originally posted by trader jim:
Hey - LOOKS JUST GREAT - I will order 50 of em!!!.....I will be putting them to GOOD use!!!!.....when can you Ship Yards Deliver????

file_22.gif
file_22.gif
--------------------------------------------
The man in the trilby leans across the tanuki Shipyard counter in VILIS and sez, "I'd check his money fer counterfeiting, if'n ye know what I mean."
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
file_23.gif

Very nice, as always. I have a small quibble about accessing avionics from the airlocks, but maybe I'm paranoid. Those are manual hatches, presumably secure.

Well, at least that proves I'm really studying them.

Originally posted by Father Fletch:
Keep up the good work. I really appreciate all of your deck plans. Have you considered a design with a smaller owner’s cabin? Or do you visualize that as acting as the office for the merc platoon based aboard ship, thereby filling multiple purposes?
IIRC during the age of sail the captains cabin was often used as a surgery/officers infirmary during battles. I imagine that the owners cabin could fill much the same roles. BTW if it had really good C3I suites it could act as a battle control center.
The main reason I mention these other uses are because I always imagined space aboard ship at a premium.
Thanks!

Of course those spaces would be subject to multiple uses. On some ships the wardroom area might be customized for anything from a hospital to an exercise area to a cargo bay to a videogame parlor or holodeck. ;)

Depends on the guy who owns the ship of course. Traditionally Broadswords have been privately owned and the original deckplans had the entire top deck reserved for the owner's use and some avionics.

Note that there's not quite as much room up there as you might think. About 25 dtons total, of which the owner's suite uses about 6 dtons. The multipurpose space (wardroom and stores) is about 9 dtons, the computer core is roughly 2 dtons, and the balance is avionics space.

6 dtons is not unreasonable for the guy who owns the ship IMHO -- besides he has to share the bathroom (unless he makes them go down to the bridge deck).

The biggest multi-use space up there is the wardroom. The troops have as much or more space in their marshalling area even if the tall ones do have to watch their heads. :D

For those interested the formula for volume of a dome or spherical cap (this was NOT easy to find) is:

V = (pi/6)*(3r^2 + h^2)*h

(from "Ask Dr. Math, Sphere Formulas": http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/formulas/faq.sphere.html )

Thanks, all of you. Glad you're finding these useful or at least interesting. :cool:

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Very nice, as always. I have a small quibble about accessing avionics from the airlocks, but maybe I'm paranoid. Those are manual hatches, presumably secure.

Well, at least that proves I'm really studying them.
Hey, paranoia can be good for you. I figure the avionics deck locks are reinforced and particularly well secured. Perhaps on some ships there are cameras and anti-personnel weapons mounted in the hull around the exterior hatches. Anyone want to deal with hull mounted lasers or FGMPs?
file_23.gif

Originally posted by trader jim:

file_22.gif
file_22.gif
Can do, TJ. May I see some ID with that cash? We'll process your order as soon as the cash has cleared the bank. :D

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
The man in the trilby leans across the tanuki Shipyard counter in VILIS and sez, "I'd check his money fer counterfeiting, if'n ye know what I mean."
file_23.gif
Good advice as always, sir. Thanks you. But then we have dealt with TJ before. :D

The "Happy Fun Ball" rides again!!!!YUS!(does handstands, happy heretic jig!).
The Happy Fun Ball -- you mean this?
file_23.gif

happyfunball.gif

Hey, everyone else is playing with 3D. I figured it was my turn.
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Tanuki:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
file_23.gif

happyfunball.gif

file_23.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]________________________________________________
THAT's exactly what I mean. :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

now just paint it yellow and watch the sod faces as you land on their planet.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tanuki:
file_23.gif

happyfunball.gif

file_23.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]________________________________________________
THAT's exactly what I mean. :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
</font>[/QUOTE]

How dare you all.. you profane Traveller Ships....
you WILL be PUNISHED by the CHURCH OF THE EVERLASTING JUMP!!!!.....especially the HERETIC Liam....He will BURN!!!!......
file_22.gif
file_22.gif

you WILL be PUNISHED by the CHURCH OF THE EVERLASTING JUMP!!!!.....especially the HERETIC Liam....He will BURN!!!!......
file_22.gif
file_22.gif

you WILL be PUNISHED by the CHURCH OF THE EVERLASTING
JUMP!!!!.....especially the HERETIC Liam....He will BURN!!!!......
But how do you really feel, Trader Jim?
file_22.gif

This is great stuff here; any possibility of doing the Type T Patrol Cruiser?

Originally posted by Father Fletch:
It looks like the video game character Kirby
Kirby was the name of videogame character!? :mad: :eek:

Oh Vargr Pelts!! My volleyball bot is called Kirby. :( :eek:

I can hear the copyright lawyers just knocking on my e-mail. :(
file_28.gif

Originally posted by Tanuki:
file_23.gif

happyfunball.gif

file_23.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]Hey with a chameleon skin you can animate the face to similate these little guys!
:rolleyes: :eek:
file_28.gif

Back