• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Need some traveller congame ideas

Ok, I may be running 4 traveller games at a convention this year and need to start cracking on some ideas.

I have an idea I'm in the gestational stage with, it deals with a frequent topic that is asked by people looking ovber traveller: Why no nanotech or AI?

Well, I was thinking of answering some of those questions by having an out of control nonotech using AI take over a station or outpost and the players have to fight it to refuel and escape, only to find they must destroy the station to save humanity.

2 possible lines of approach have come to me:

1. The station was researching an artifact found on a world that was forgotten during the long night, and recently found to be lifeless. The artifact was bought to the station for research, turned out to be a nanotech using AI weapon that has turned the station personel into borg zombies and is now working on the next phase of it's war against everything that isn't it.

2. The research station was privately owned by a brilliant, rich eccentric who believed that the restrictions on AI and nanotech were foolish and opted to go ahead with research into it himself with some like minded fellow mad scientist-, er I mean maverick geniuses. :rotfl:

In either event we end up with a renegade, out of control AI with limited but potentially exponentially expendable nano assets, and a group of poor bastar- ah, heroic adventures looking for a refill come along at an opportune moment.

Basivally the idea is to come up with a scenario along these lines to fil up a 4 hour game slot, and to make players go "Oh! So THAT'S why they don't let nanotech or AI in the imperium!"

Any ideas?

Hey, long time no see he who's name shall not be spoken for fear of incurring the wrath of the all powerful mods praise be their names and merciful be their editing...

Too over the top?
file_22.gif

Please don't take it the wrong way A.C. but the name is still a bit of a sore spot. Sends entirely the wrong message. I'd be just as annoyed by someone using the J.C. antithesis to yours or other similar names as a nick.

Anywho, on to the fist full o ideas...

...aaaaand :rolleyes: I'm dry! Dang, my mind is just gone dead, sorry. "I'll be bachk!" Just as soon as my muse sings to me.

In any case I'm sure others will be along to help. Kudos on the con gig! Have fun. I'll try to help out with an idea or two later.

If you can pick up a copy, "The War Machine" by Roger MacBride Allen might be a good source of inspiration. The wiki article is at this link.

The "small mercury-like blob" is a nano-tech AI that can detach small portions of itself which, while not intelligent in themselves, are controlled by the larger mass making up the AI and can take over electronic systems. A few of these get aboard the cruiser Duncan and effectively paralyze the ship.

The chief limitations of the AI are that it's effectively immobile and can't spread itself out to control too many systems so it has to work through human agents (many of whom don't realize that the orders they are following are coming from a machine).

As a Traveller scenario, the players could be naval personnel, scouts, corporate troubleshooters or intelligence agents sent to investigate the dissapearance of several agents in a corporation-controlled system. They would have to determine the nature of the threat, track it back to its source and eliminate it.

If this sounds interesting, I'd be happy to help work through some of the details with you.

Originally posted by Antichrist:
Well, I was thinking of answering some of those questions by having an out of control nonotech using AI take over a station or outpost and the players have to fight it to refuel and escape, only to find they must destroy the station to save humanity.
Ever played the two System Shock computer games? They revolve around a "mad scientist" rogue AI taking over a station (System Shock 1) or a large starship (System Shock 2). In the first game the AI was using the crew (and hydroponic plants) to breed a bio-weapon mutagen virus "she" was intending to release on Earth (to facilitate her conquest
file_23.gif
toast.gif
) ; in the second game, bio-tailored organisms created by that AI took over a starship and "she" used the payer against them in order to get control of the ship's jump-drive. These two computer games are worth playing for their own sake, but could be great sources of inspiration for this adventure.

I have an idea I'm in the gestational stage with, it deals with a frequent topic that is asked by people looking ovber traveller: Why no nanotech or AI?

Any ideas?
Well, reading the Central Supply Catalog for T4 it's got robots/androids and even ones that can simulate a human/sentient at TTL12 so I don't think you're too off the mark with that. I believe they can be made very realistic too such that high negative dms to notice.

I think the proscription was on having those two elements _everywhere_, where even your spacesuit and air/rafts all have these incredible AIs and so on.

So your ideas should fly.

I was thinking (for my own) that a scientist could have an android impersonating them, while he runs off to sell secrets (or is kidnapped to do so) and someone on the player's party knows him and realizes that something's wrong. Later on the players's get "hunted down" as a precaution. I could see that happening before they leave, the old "can't let them escape" type of plot.

On a wilder tangent...

I've also got one in the works where an S3 team has an android member (foxy femme type) who they use for dangerous insertions and quasi-criminal acts (they've decided to get rich before mustering out). Long story. Short version: they encounter information on a Suerrat science lab that's experimenting with gravity comms (since a ship can be precipitated out of jump by a gravity well it works in jump space) the baddies find that the ship in the project is not only owned by Naasirka who want the gravity/jump comm, but are transporting a large fortune in precious metals. Suerrat's have long time experience with gravity/contragravitics. I use the gravity comm from GURPS robots as a starting point.

Experimentation so far has caused not only reception of signals but pulling ships out of jump...perfect for a team of plunderers.

Well, I got the cryptic muse pestering me last night as I tried to drift off, here's the idea as it came to me...

(my muse) ... a vision of a painting of flowers, no make that a mural of a rain forest or a jungle on the wall, except the picture is alive and the elements are flowing...

(my take) ... no, not quite alive, the colors fade to shades of greys and a grainyness begins to bleed through, the wall is crawling with machinery, small tendrils of circuit paths writhe across the wall and flow along the floor and ceiling surrounding me, and then over me, and all fades to black...

OK, so maybe she wasn't so cryptic, but it started that way. I mean I was looking for inspiration on a story involving AI machines and she shows me a pretty picture of flowers? It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to go from that to the subject.

What I see, since this is a one off deal, is it should be an everybody dies type scenario. A kobayashi maru. Timing will be tricky for the ref and the actual end game tricky.

When the players arrive they find a ghost station. Everything is on automatics and there are no signs of anybody. This should be played up. Initially walking around the station, finding labs with projects intact but no one around except research specimens. The common room or dining area layed out for a meal, plates of food as if everyone eating were suddenly called away. But everywhere neat, as if there was no panic, no catastrophe, just suddenly no people.

ref knowledge

When the researchers activated the AI nano it was still small and learning. But it grew quickly in both size and awareness. Faster than the researchers anticipated. Much faster.

The players come to one lab that is different. The quarantine shields are in place and the external readouts show that stage one sterilization has been completed. A clock counts down to "safe" condition. In a couple minutes the shields will open and they can investigate.

ref knowledge

The reasearchers realized they had a problem and started sterilization procedures. Locally at first in an effort to preserve the projects in other labs. That was a mistake. The AI nano learned fear and hurt first. And it acted out of self preservation. It ran and spread to nearby labs.

The players enter the lab. It is intact and there are no bodies here either. The sterilization procedure used a hard radiation bath but each lab has an isolated and shielded computer for lab notes. Perusing the records the players find hints about the project but nothing that seems dangerous or threatening. Nothing biological, just some inorganic samples being studied. A mineral as yet unidentified and attempts at measuring it using different radiations and instruments. And then the records stop, just before the sterilization protocol was initiated.

ref knowledge

The AI nano found the circuitry of the ship compatible with it's own, and began to expand and escape. Once out of immediate harm it lashed out, hurting back those who hurt it. And things escalated.

Moving on, the players now find two more labs under sterilization protocol. One more the same as the last only with biological specimens, destroyed by the same hard rad bath procedure. The lab notes show the specimens and research to be harmless. And another with level two sterilization, a hard rad bath and explosive vacuum exposure. When the shields are raised the players may enter through the airlock if they have vacc-suits. The lab notes recovered will show the same nothing unusual. But this lab has a dead researcher, snagged on some equipment, apparently killed by the explosive decompression (if the players can't or don't enter the lab they will see the snagged researcher from the door).

ref knowledge

But the AI nano was quicker than the humans and not limited by concerns of limiting damage. In very short order every human aboard was dead and only a few labs had been sterilized.

But where are the others? The lifeboat is still docked and they've looked everywhere. Or have they? Something doesn't add up. Shouldn't there be a door there?

ref knowledge

The AI nano was safe. The humans had been eliminated. But now there was no way to escape. The AI nano realised it was now trapped in this shell. It didn't like being trapped. It wanted to get away. Far away. The computer showed it that there were ships that could travel between stars. That's what it needed. It would have to wait. Soon it would be visited by others with one of these Starships and then it could leave.

The players are beginning to notice they are being directed at times. Walls where there should be doors block access to certain areas. Blasting their way through they find the bodies. And an envelope marked with an Omega. Inside the envelope are hardprinted steps for engaging the research station's secret self destruct warhead. Apparently the commander was considering implementing the action but was not able to. What could be so bad that he'd consider it? What could have prevented him from doing it by killing everyone aboard? And is it still aboard?

ref knowledge

The AI nano is becomming concerned. The humans who had come were too curious. And clever. They had found the others despite all it's deceptions. It could wait no longer, it was aboard the Starship but needed the humans to operate it. They would have to be scared into running.

Suddenly the sterilization protocol alarm sounds for the area the players are in. They need to get out fast or they'll be killed. They just manage to clear the airlock before the shields drop into place and the sound of the explosive decompression is heard on the other side. It looks like whatever killed the researchers IS still here and now it's after them.

And from there it's a race for the players to avoid the traps and attacks mounted by the AI nano construct as they try to arm the self destruct and escape. With the AI nano construct trying to herd the players to their ship.

The AI nano construct has no knowledge of the self destruct device and the players find it easier if they make their way back to their ship rather than any other way. The more they dally on the station the more lethal (but always restrained from actually lethal) and numerous the attacks. If their ship should be physically disconnected from the station for some reason the attacks on the station will stop. And there are no attacks on their ship.

The players may figure out that their ship is now occupied by the AI nano construct. If they do then they have a choice to make. With no good outcome for them either way.

The ref may allow one possible way to beat this catch 22 if the adventure is used as part of a campaign. The players may make a run for the station's lifeboat, with the AI nano construct fighting them all the way with nothing held back. And if they make it to the lifeboat before the explosion destroys the station and their ship then they will have succeeded in destroying the AI nano construct and living. Of course they are now marooned in a distant seldom visited system with just the lifeboat and the stuff on their back. And the adventure of surviving until rescued begins...

Anyway, that's how I'd outline the adventure. As mentioned the actual timing of it will be tricky, and I leave the details to you to develop. If you find the idea interesting and in line with what you had in mind.

Thanks for the FB. Remember that this is just a one-off for a convention, no campaign

An idea came to me that the head mad scient- brilliant maverick researched might be crippled in some way by something even imperial science can't cure. Think of an insane, evil version of Stephen Hawking.

This guy is obsessed with creating an AI because he can't have kids any other way, and when it "assimlates" him, he takes it as a boon, an 'upgrade" from his crippled form, and now sees it as an obligation to share this benediction with the rest of the univserse, uniting all minds in a transcendent new form , even if they are to limited by their current forms to appreciate it...

So the AI in on a 'mission' to improve the universe, and the mind of the lead scientist in it now sees himself as a messiah, the god of a new level of existance that he created and is therefore the lord of. (Perhaps he had this megalomania as a compansation for being crippled in body?)

BTW, yes I plauyed system shock 2 and thought it reigned supreme. It recapped SS1 enough for me to get the idea.

I'm looking for more of a "My existance is the new level of intelligent life, and all should join us in this glorious, transcendent technological rapture. Those who decline are blinded by their limited psyche's and must be elevated despite their ignorant fears. Join us. Come to our world. You will come to our world."

Get the idea?

I like to run intrigue-filled games, often making the players work to figure out whether their employers are to be trusted or not-especially when the players find out it's the law chasing them. Scenarios like smuggling, bodyguard, raid, retrieving a stolen ship. Also have used scenarios where the PC's are hired for a job or as crew-only it's a setup-the PC's are being sold off as slave techs to some world or syndicate, they're being framed for some crime, they're being used as expendable crew for an insurance scam or as expendable hitmen.
Did one once where the PC's stole a corsair back for its rightful pirate owner.
I thinking about breaking my 3-year gaming hiatus to run a Traveller game. The idea for that is the party is hired by a patron to rescue her boyfriend-except the bodyfriend is an Explorer-virus controlled 'Trepida' grav tank.

BTW, yes I plauyed system shock 2 and thought it reigned supreme. It recapped SS1 enough for me to get the idea.

I'm looking for more of a "My existance is the new level of intelligent life, and all should join us in this glorious, transcendent technological rapture. Those who decline are blinded by their limited psyche's and must be elevated despite their ignorant fears. Join us. Come to our world. You will come to our world."

Get the idea?
We are Borg. Resistance is Futile...

In either event we end up with a renegade, out of control AI with limited but potentially exponentially expendable nano assets, and a group of poor bastar- ah, heroic adventures looking for a refill come along at an opportune moment.

Any ideas?
Yes, possibly converting Agatha Christie's story to Traveller, especially one set in the Virus period, but it could happen in others.

"Ten Little Mercenaries" where the rogue AI has decided to make part of a brigade pay, when it examines the final report of it's "master" (whomever you need for the role) who was killed under highly mysterious circumstances. While a court martial found no one at fault, the AI has decided that justice needs to be served.

Brigade reunion or something similar.

maybe convert it to... (sorry mine isn't terribly imaginative, but you get the idea)...
Ten little Mercenaries went up to the front line;
One choked on poison gas, then there were nine.

Nine little Mercenaries took the low passage gate;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Mercenaries traveling the heavens;
One didn't return and then there were seven

Seven little Mercenaries playing with sticks;
One blew himself in half and then there were six.

Six little Mercenaries playing with a hive;
A nanobee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Mercenaries going to Core;
One jumped the wrong way, and then there were four.

Four little Mercenaries going out to Class C;
A Sheol swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Mercenaries walking under the blue;
A land mine got one and then there were two.

Two little Mercenaries sitting in the sun;
One got plasma burns and then there was one.

One little Mercenary left all alone;
He went and hanged himself and then there were none.
Original Poem (2nd one)

Anyway, you should be able to shave it down to how many players you have left when the game starts and...give them the clues/info that "the others on the list won't be joining us because of some accidents" :eek:
file_22.gif

Back