• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Missing details for Verbal Command and User Interface programs

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Yes, I am back with more observations, questions, possible solutions, and/or comments on the Computer Design Sequence in THB Chapter 12. This time I present, at least I hope I do, all the above.

Question:

How can a computer "hear" verbal commands?

In the text for the 3 Verbal Command Porgrams (pp. 226-227) there are no references or requirements for an audio sensor of some type or the need for a voice/speech recognition system. The User Interface (p. 231) programs do mention the need and requirement for speech recognition and adds the need for a device, a voder, to allow the computer to speak. However, there is still no mention that some sort of audio device is also required so that the computer can hear the verbal commands.

My recommendation is to that the following needs to be added to the appropriate sections in some manner:

The use of Verbal Command programs require that a computer also have at least one auditory sensor, found on p. 251, and a vocie recognition program, which is mentioned but not listed in the computer software section of the Computer Design Sequence pahse.

User Interface programs require in addition to voice recognition software some sort of audio/voice sensor. Refer to page 251 for the specificiations for an auditory sensor system.

Should the above be added to the eratta board or be ignored?

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Yes, I am back with more observations, questions, possible solutions, and/or comments on the Computer Design Sequence in THB Chapter 12. This time I present, at least I hope I do, all the above.

Question:

How can a computer "hear" verbal commands?

In the text for the 3 Verbal Command Porgrams (pp. 226-227) there are no references or requirements for an audio sensor of some type or the need for a voice/speech recognition system. The User Interface (p. 231) programs do mention the need and requirement for speech recognition and adds the need for a device, a voder, to allow the computer to speak. However, there is still no mention that some sort of audio device is also required so that the computer can hear the verbal commands.

My recommendation is to that the following needs to be added to the appropriate sections in some manner:

The use of Verbal Command programs require that a computer also have at least one auditory sensor, found on p. 251, and a vocie recognition program, which is mentioned but not listed in the computer software section of the Computer Design Sequence pahse.

User Interface programs require in addition to voice recognition software some sort of audio/voice sensor. Refer to page 251 for the specificiations for an auditory sensor system.

Should the above be added to the eratta board or be ignored?
Moved to Errata. Good catch.

Hunter

Hey Hunter,

This is probably going to sound like a crappy thing to say, but should I hold out on buying a new printing (I already own a first printing)? I would love to get my hands on a book with all of the errata included. Is there going to be a third printing?

Scout

Back