• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jump Engines

Hello.
If jump engines are modular and you instal jump 6 engines why cant you use only 2 engines if you are only jumping 2 parsecs and use only jump 2 fuel.
From my reading of other threads it seems that if you have jump 6 engines then you use jump 6 fuel even if you only jump 2ps, this seems silly.
Second question.
What added weight limits would you put on a ship that had the inflatable fuel cells but used them in the cargo bay (you should be able to see where this is going).
I humbly await your learned and weighty replys.
Oh by the way you'r all wrong in section 1576479 of the original unpublished memorandum subsection 42 line 3 (penciled in the margin)it states "it's your game enjoy it how you like."
I realy do want replies i just weakened for a moment SORRY.
More sock race.

I think it depends on which version of the game you are using. With T4, you only us the amount of fuel equal to the distant jumped

I've been meaning to look this up for a while.
"Ships performing jumps less than their maximum capacity consume fuel at a lower level based on the jump number used." OT LBB2 Starships(2ndedition), OT Starter edition and OT TTB.
What does it say in the FFE reprint? I don't know until mine arrives.
Therefore if you use OT 2nd edition you don't have to worry about jump governors.
As for collapsible tanks, they appear in Trillion Credit Squadron and take up 1% of their filled volume when collapsed. They have the disadvantage that the fuel has to be transferred to the ships' fuel tanks, so you could make two consecutive J3s but not one J6. For that you would need demountable tanks which can also be fitted into the cargo hold (or bolted on outside). They are used as regular fuel tankage but take up cargo space even when empty. T4 introduced a version of the demountable tank which could be collapsed down to 25% of its' full volume.
Hope this helps.

I can't remember where I got this (probably an obscure JTAS article) but IMTU, there is a 1-ton device called a Jump Governor that allowed Book 2 designed ships to jump at the rate of fuel per the jump number (i.e. a Jump three ship jumping 1 parsec and using 1/3 the fuel, etc). Otherwise, a ship not so equipped uses all it's fuel in a jump, due to inefficiency.

For what it's worth,

From the FFE Reprint:
Book 2, page 15:
"Ships performing jumps less than their maximum capacity consume fuel at a lower level based on the jump number used."
Book5, page 22,27:
"Fuel usage is commputed similarly; 10% of the ship tonnage in fuel is used per jump number used ...".

I think that Book2 v1 had the jump fuel always used regardless of the distance jumped. Book5 v1 changed that to what we know, and introduced the "jump governor" as a retrofit for Book2 v1 designs to allow them to do the same.

But Book2 v2 removed that restriction, and so Book5 v2 dropped the jump governor. (The FFE Reprints, ST, and TTB are all CT v2.) Consequently, while there is this "collective memory" of a jump governor, none of the easily obtainable rules sets (FFE Reprints, Starter Traveller, The Traveller Book) mentions a jump governor.

Hello Lionel Deffries,

Good observation on jump fuel usage, one that I missed. As Granpafishy, Sigg Oddra, Ganidiirsi O'Flynn, and daryen indicate which CT printing of Book 2 or 5 that one has determines the rules on how jump fuel is used. I have at least 3 different print runs in my collection of CT books, so I missed the current direction of fuel usage threads.

Using collapsible/inflatable fuel tanks in the cargo hold would take up approximately the same weight and space as a full load of cargo. The maneuver and jump performance rating would also be similar to what occurs with the various cargo loads being carried.

Originally posted by Lionel Deffries:
Hello.
If jump engines are modular and you instal jump 6 engines why cant you use only 2 engines if you are only jumping 2 parsecs and use only jump 2 fuel.
From my reading of other threads it seems that if you have jump 6 engines then you use jump 6 fuel even if you only jump 2ps, this seems silly.
Second question.
What added weight limits would you put on a ship that had the inflatable fuel cells but used them in the cargo bay (you should be able to see where this is going).
I humbly await your learned and weighty replys.
Oh by the way you'r all wrong in section 1576479 of the original unpublished memorandum subsection 42 line 3 (penciled in the margin)it states "it's your game enjoy it how you like."
I realy do want replies i just weakened for a moment SORRY.
More sock race.

Hello.
Damn i thought at least one of you would have quibbled about the ammendment in the unpublished book (blast).
SORRY my mistake what i ment by the fuel question was a collapsable tank in the cargo bay hooked up to the fuel system with a movable wall that would scrunch the collapsed tank up aganst the back wall when it was empty or partialy empty.
This would mean you would have max fuel and max cargo but not at the same time.
Bye.

Back