• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hey, Where's the Academies?

Reginald

SOC-13
I confessed, I'm not really well-versed in the OTU setting, but I'm wondering if there is an academy for each services like the equivalent of the Naval Academy, West Point, etc.?

Should it follow the same rules as the University term or should it have its own distinct benefits?

Originally posted by Reginald:
I confessed, I'm not really well-versed in the OTU setting, but I'm wondering if there is an academy for each services like the equivalent of the Naval Academy, West Point, etc.?

Should it follow the same rules as the University term or should it have its own distinct benefits?
Offically, yes. Mentioned in CT (book 5), MegaT and the rest. To repeat what I said in another thread I don't feel like tracking down right now...

Imperial Navy Academy. The most prestigious one(s). One per sector, unless you want to make them more rare. Marines go there too unless you like the idea of all Marines start as enlisted.

Imperial Army Academy, again one per sector.

Merchant Academies are run by the megacorps.

Then you can have smaller, less well known, Navy & Military Academies run by Sector, Sub-sector and planetary governments.

How to handle it in T20...University Prior history, with the character in the Service Class for the school & allow them to use the University XP to gain a level or three in that class.

So they would graduate with a BA, as a 1-3rd level Navy class with a rank of O1 (Ensign), with a possible multiclass of Academic or Professional.

Actually, I've allowed players to select a service class for their first level, as long they serve the mandatory first term in the chosen service, even if they went through the University route.

I was thinking of offering a different type of program or choices during the University term: a civilian university or a military academy. I'm trying to think what kind of benefit I should give to cadets while they enrolled into the academy.

(Plus, this may serve as a template for a certain academy located in San Francisco whose motto is "Ex Astria, Scientia.")

I follow the pattern set out by Reginald: A character can start in a service class as long as the first term or university is in that class. Since the character can thereby access class skills and feats of the Service class under this procedure, I think it follows a service academy pretty well; it also makes it possible to generate characters with a higher level in service classes than the regular rules allow.

Back