• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

GI Bill: College AFTER Mustering Out?

Anyone do this? Or do you make everyone go to college in their first term(s) if at all? IIRC (I am not a military guy), you have to serve at least one active term and one term as a reservist to qualify. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the the main question is, does the Imperium/planetary service classes do this?

For those outside the U.S, the GI Bill is basically where, if you sign up for at least two terms of service, the government helps pay for college.

Originally posted by lord irial:
Anyone do this? Or do you make everyone go to college in their first term(s) if at all? IIRC (I am not a military guy), you have to serve at least one active term and one term as a reservist to qualify. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the the main question is, does the Imperium/planetary service classes do this?

For those outside the U.S, the GI Bill is basically where, if you sign up for at least two terms of service, the government helps pay for college.
My favorite character in T20 so far did something similar, he started off as a Belter, after one term joined the Scouts, and after one term in the Scouts I sent him to college, I could have claimed that he went detached duty for three years (education was high enough to shorten time in college), then signed back up for active in the scouts, but I decided that the scouts paid for some equivelent of a GI-Bill for him after serving a term, with the provision that he spend at least one more active term in the scouts.

As far as entering college later, there's nothing in the rules - AFAIK - that prevents it.

If the character has mustered out of a Service class and goes to college, you can certainly call it a 'GI bill', or whatever you want. As I recall, college doesn't have any monetary requirements, either.

Well, you're right there- I had misinterpreted the prior history rules, and you can certainly enter college after doing something else first. So, given that, would anyone up the realism by instituting tuition and other scholastic fees, deferable through military training, rolls for scholarships or grants, et al?

Lack of money/large debt ownership is a great motivator to go Travelling, I would think.

Well, you're right there- I had misinterpreted the prior history rules, and you can certainly enter college after doing something else first. So, given that, would anyone up the realism by instituting tuition and other scholastic fees, deferable through military training, rolls for scholarships or grants, et al?

Lack of money/large debt ownership is a great motivator to go Travelling, I would think.
Maybe, I'd suggest lowering the maximum allowed cash rolls from three to two perhaps? A wealthy class like Noble or Traveller can still be wealthy, just not as much, a less affluent class will well...be not quite as wealthy.

Or perhaps allow three rolls, but put a -1 on the table, with a modified roll of zero being either no cash, or half the result of a 1 on the table.

Originally posted by Cleon the Mad:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lord irial:

Maybe, I'd suggest lowering the maximum allowed cash rolls from three to two perhaps? A wealthy class like Noble or Traveller can still be wealthy, just not as much, a less affluent class will well...be not quite as wealthy.

Or perhaps allow three rolls, but put a -1 on the table, with a modified roll of zero being either no cash, or half the result of a 1 on the table.
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, if I wanted to do something like that, it'd be like this:

Define a set cost for University - say 20 kCr.

Make a SOC test, DC 20. If successful, the PC's family pays.

If you do ROTC, it's paid for by the military.

Otherwise, the debt falls to the PC. If paid - somehow - by the end of University, it's 20 kCr. Otherwise, it's 40kCr (Interest). So, when mustering out, that has to be paid from any cash rolls. If there's any left, the character starts in debt.

Originally posted by Stormraven:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cleon the Mad:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lord irial:

</font>[/QUOTE]Well, if I wanted to do something like that, it'd be like this:

Define a set cost for University - say 20 kCr.

Make a SOC test, DC 20. If successful, the PC's family pays.

If you do ROTC, it's paid for by the military.

Otherwise, the debt falls to the PC. If paid - somehow - by the end of University, it's 20 kCr. Otherwise, it's 40kCr (Interest). So, when mustering out, that has to be paid from any cash rolls. If there's any left, the character starts in debt.
</font>[/QUOTE]I like this one, makes sense IMHO. May even steal it for my own use.

Originally posted by Cleon the Mad:
I like this one, makes sense IMHO. May even steal it for my own use.
Thanks much - I do try.

Just a side note, I have the Illinois Veteran's Grant to pay for college. I'm sure other states have something similar. You only have to serve 180 days in active duty to get it. I'd put it at half a term. The GI Bill is different - they just give you money every month if you are in school. And I never opted for it when I was in. I would have had to contribute to it if I wanted it. Not sure if all that's changed in 10 years or not.

Scout

the cost of education is already part of the system. You don't earn starting cash or muster out rolls for time in school...

Back