• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Defense Bonus

As a fan of the WotC version of Star Wars RPG, I was wondering if anyone else is planning to incorporate Defense Bonuses to the Character Classes for T20? With the combat so deadly, much like Star Wars, I think the system really needs it.

It really depends on how deadly and cinematic you want the game to be. I had thought about doing this before, but came to the conclusion that it really wasn't necessary. Here's why-

1. BABs are universally lower than in other d20 games (assumes multiclassing with non max-BAB classes).

2. Armor adds to AC (some people seem to forget that.)

3. Taking cover adds up to +10 (I think) to AC with 9/10s cover. However, since the rules for cover aren't in the THB (as you are supposed to take the rules from a WOTC book), I have a feeling many people don't know that either.

Taking those three things into consideration, I feel that adding a further class Defense bonus is overkill and will tend to drastically reduce the number of hits in a combat.

I agree with Apoc in that the system as it is doesn't need defense bonuses for classes.

However, I do think that a better option than the current setup would be to get rid of the armor bonus to AC and replace it with class-based defense bonuses.

Well, since the Modern System Reference Document (based on d20 Modern) is already out, I don't mind if they adapt to that ruleset.

2. Armor adds to AC (some people seem to forget that.)

What page do you find that on. I never saw it. Im just so dagblasted annoyed at how quickly stamina goes down....

Hello.
Maybe "Dodge" as a skill with the same sub classes as (pilot and drive) could be used, With a skill check divide the result by 5 and this is the dodge bonus but may not be higher than the skill level.
The dodge bonus also adds to your firing difficulty (if its harder for the enemy to hit you because your dodging randomly then it should be as difficult for you to hit).

hello,
Ship tactics feat and fleet tactics add a wis or int bonus to all ship or small craft attack and defense rolls.
would then feats of strategy,combat reflexes and lighting reflexes help and how?

wa11eye

Originally posted by wa11eye:
hello,
Ship tactics feat and fleet tactics add a wis or int bonus to all ship or small craft attack and defense rolls.
would then feats of strategy,combat reflexes and lighting reflexes help and how?

wa11eye
----------------------------------------------
Hello.
My spin on your question.
Strategy - this is what you do before you get into combat (how to go around not through, take more firepower, bluff is good, take 36 blowup BB and a shit load of EW drones to look like BB's).
Combat reflexes - this will help you dodge the I beam that comes smaching across the bridge just after the missile hits the front of your ship.
Lightning reflexs - you dive behind the marine in combat armour just as the bad guy opens up with a PGMP at you (if you survive you offer to have the marines children, its only fair).
Yes this is kinda flippent but as a DM i would need a realy good pleed to allow any of them in a starship battle, this dosnt mean i wouldn't you would just need to be eloquent and fast on your feet.
Bye.

Back