• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Chasing...

Kyron

SOC-9
Is there any way to see in which direction/distance a fleeing ship is jumping? So if a patrol cruiser is chasing a Scout and the Scout jumps, can the Patrol Cruiser get information to jump-chase the Scout?

Not so sure about the distance but I'd say you get the general direction in a rather small "cone" say 1 hex wide at the base, doubled for each two hexes (1-1-2-2-4-4) allowing some estimates where the chased jumped

I've asked a similar question before, but didn't get a satisfactory answer. The way I see it is: Does a ship jump like in Star Wars (i.e. "accelerates" into Jump, presumably on a "trajectory") or is it more like on Battlestar Galactica (i.e. ships jump from a virtual standstill)?

Doesn't LBB2 say the ship accelerates half way to the jump point, and then decelerates the rest of the way? Or am I making that up? If that is the case, it would seem that one jumps from a "standstill".

My $0.02

Hi !

The ship can travel in normal space just as it likes. It may "stop", too, meaning it travels with the same vector as some defined point.
Stopping is for the careful people, as you drop out of jumpspace with the same vector

The jump itself is perhaps more like BG, meaning its perhaps an instant transition from normal space into jump space, but Andrew Boulton and myself made a few humble animations about this imaginary process

Last page of this old but pretty thread is here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000672;p=21

Regards,

TE

Hi !

The ship can travel in normal space just as it likes. It may "stop", too, meaning it travels with the same vector as some defined point.
Stopping is for the careful people, as you drop out of jumpspace with the same vector

The jump itself is perhaps more like BG, meaning its perhaps an instant transition from normal space into jump space, but Andrew Boulton and myself made a few humble animations about this imaginary process

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000672;p=21

Regards,

TE

Hi !

Regards,

TE

Jumping from rest is safer (because you don't know what's at the other end), but you can make a "running jump". Your realspace velocity has no effect on the jump.

If you believe all that jump masking nonsense from GT then that will narrow down the possibilities.

Jumping from rest is safer (because you don't know what's at the other end), but you can make a "running jump". Your realspace velocity has no effect on the jump.

If you believe all that jump masking nonsense from GT then that will narrow down the possibilities.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Velocity relative to what?

See, this is the problem: in free space, there is no such thing as a "stationary object" except in relation to some other object. "At rest" doesn't mean anything out in the Black; you might as well accelerate all the way out to jump point and then plan on retro-thrusting all the way down once you return to normal space; it'll save significant time, and for a Trader, time is money.

And, it's typical that there's no way to determine a jump's destination from the trajectory or geometry of the departure, since the exit point and vector can oftentimes be arbitrarily chosen (especially by a Navigator with some Fleet Tactics skill), even without the goofy, and not-strictly canon, ±10% time factor. (That time factor is entirely non-trivial; do you realize how far everything in this galaxy moves, relative to the center, and at this distance from it, in 30 hours?)

You might be able to plot a distance estimate based on the size of the energy backwash observed as the ship leaves, but I'd argue that that also then lets the jumping ship know immediately if it has misjumped or not. Indeed, observing a ship jump away with a 36-parsec jump flash would pretty much end any "unsolved mysteries" about why it never arrived at a scheduled/flightplanned destination.

Originally posted by boomslang:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Velocity relative to what?

See, this is the problem: in free space, there is no such thing as a "stationary object" except in relation to some other object. "At rest" doesn't mean anything out in the Black; you might as well accelerate all the way out to jump point and then plan on retro-thrusting all the way down once you return to normal space; it'll save significant time, and for a Trader, time is money.
</font>[/QUOTE]Except it won't and it might mean you land on the planet at the other end with a v of several thousand kph

Scenario 1 - Run full thrust to 100d from a size A world. Jump with full vector. Arrive 100d from a size 1 world at the other end. Now try to stop in time with that same full thrust. Oops. Crash. Or at the very least you overshoot by a huge distance before you stop, and have to go all the way back again. No time saved there.

But like you say. Relative to what? That's a question never really answered in canon. I've got my own TU ideas and others must as well. Old story

And I won't even touch the whole jump shadow and jump mask issue... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by far-trader:
Except it won't and it might mean you land on the planet at the other end with a v of several thousand kph

Well, only if you (or your Navi) are foolish enough to plot emergence from Jump on a direct collision course with the destination world...

:eek:

You can always do a slingshot capture, if you'd like -- burning off your excess vee by dumping it into the planet's orbital vee. Otherwise, you just plot your breakout high enough that you have plenty of time to decelerate to a reasonable approach velocity and then line up for a non-aerobraking entry interface. Child's Play for a competent Navi to plot... and there's the added bonus that those pesky corsairs have a harder time matching vectors with you when you come out of Jumpspace already haulin' like greased lightning...

:D

Originally posted by me:
Otherwise, you just plot your breakout high enough that you have plenty of time to decelerate to a reasonable approach velocity and then line up for a non-aerobraking entry interface.
And it does save time overall, even if you have a humongous vector to burn off once you arrive; it's faster to brake all the way in from farther out than it is to accelerate and then brake from closer in... plus, given that everything in this galaxay is gravitationally-bound to it, there is the further consideration of the proper motion of the destination world with respect to the origin world -- the geometry can vary wildly: Jumping out from a position stationary with respect to the origin world could still leave you Jumping in at the destination world with a huge relative vector, which a good Navi will need to exploit or be wary of.

And IMTU that is your best bet for guessing where a starship you're chasing is really headed to...

Hi !

Guess it would be more reasonable to reach a stationary vector with respect to the destination world, so that the median velocity difference to objects in the dest system is somehow minimized.
Stationary relative to the origin really might not the that useful, just as boomslang noted.

Personally I would feel a bit uneasy (even if I live in a "no speed limit on highways" land :=) ), if I had to pop out somewhere with 500+ km/s and the need of several hours to brake.

But maybe some pilots need this as a kick !

Regards,

TE

Back