• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Can you retrofit barbettes where turrets went before?

themink

SOC-13
It appears from the standard designs that you only pay the space requirements for weapons when they are actually installed.

SO the Type S scout doesn;t pay, whereas the Seeker (which has a mining laser) does pay.

Does this mean that if I place a pair of Particle Barbettes on my Far Trader, it reduces the available cargo space to 56 tons? (Yes I know that the engines won't power either of them, but you know what I mean)

Previously I have thought that these decisions have to be made at design time rather than being a "fit and go" case.

The main reason I ask is that it puts the bulk of the Weapon inside the hull, possibly physically divorced from the actual turret.

On a somewhat related note...
If you look at the fighter on page 322, it has a triple turret but no weapon installed. it also has only 1 extra EP.

You could only fire 1 laser with the current power plant generated.

Also, the remaining space available is 2.2 tons.
If you go by the other standard designs, to install 3 lasers into the turret would take up 3 tons!

I asked the question in another thread (Turret Weapon tonnage, or something similar to that) in this forum about whether turrets take up tons per weapon or have a specific tonnage per turret regardless of number of weapons (as the Table on page 272 seems to indicate)

-Roger

When you build a ship you have to designate and pay for the hard points. When you do this all you need to do is buy and mount the turret/barbette when you want to.
If you don't design in the mount when the ship is built but wish to add a turret/barrette at some later date you would have to do yard time to rebuild the ship. I don't remember ever seeing a price on that type of construction but it should be expensive. And of corse that let's the GM introduce all sorts of interesting querks into your ship
file_23.gif
Also remember that turrets and barbettes are difforent sizes so you have to make a choise as to which when the hard point is installed.
Peter

Sumarising the rules as I understand them:

i) You only pay for the "size" of the installed weapons once per turret - so a single beam laser turret and a triple beam laser turret both take up one ton of space.

ii) When you design in a hardpoint, you don;t need to designate what type of turret it supports (The thrust of my origional question)

iii) Agility is based on you "current" spare EP - so you agility can change depending on whether you fired your laser.

Originally posted by The Mink:
Sumarising the rules as I understand them:

i) You only pay for the "size" of the installed weapons once per turret - so a single beam laser turret and a triple beam laser turret both take up one ton of space.
Correct.
ii) When you design in a hardpoint, you don;t need to designate what type of turret it supports (The thrust of my origional question)
Correct. Although, IMTU, once a hardpoint is adapted for a turret or barbette, changing it from one to the other becomes more expensive and labor-intensive. The initial cost of adapting the hardpoint's reinforcement for the specific mounting is assumed in the turret/barbette cost. Retrofitting a turret into a former barbette hardpoint is fairly easy (probably with a slide-in adapter); retrofitting a barbette into a former turret mounting would require a great deal of work (since, IMTU, barbettes are significantly larger, although not on the scale of a bay weapon).
iii) Agility is based on you "current" spare EP - so you agility can change depending on whether you fired your laser.
Correct.

Hope I helped.

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

Back