• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

World Population (World Design)

Just want to know if I'm doing this right.

The pop digit is the number of zeros following a one, so a pop 3 world has 1000 inhabitants. I got that, no problem.

The kink comes into play when dealing with the population exponent, on page 377. It states that the pop exponent is used as a multiplier against the base pop digit (which I assume is 3 in the above example). This is determined by rolling 1d10-1, treat 0 as 1 (except for Pop 0).

My question is, how does this work. Is it the number rolled added like the zeros based on the base digit (rolled a 5, so 1555) or what?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Originally posted by Sapphire Magus:
My question is, how does this work. Is it the number rolled added like the zeros based on the base digit (rolled a 5, so 1555) or what?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Basically the number is multiplied, so the 1000 becomes 5000 (if a 5 is rolled). It is limited to 1-9 so that you don't end up with 1000 becoming 10000 - which would actually bump the base pop digit up one.

Ah, I see. So it's always in exponents of 10? I suppose if you really wanted to get picky you could roll 1d10-1 for each 0 in the number, although that's probably more detailed than most people care for, lol.
file_22.gif

Thanks for the clarification!

Back