• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's Your Favorite Alien?

What's Your Favorite Alien Race as a PC in the OTU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this mirrors a thread in Lone Star. But it really could be a poll, so here goes.

What is your favorite Alien Race in the OTU, and why?

Reposted from the Lone Star thread-
Originally posted by William:
I've always had a soft spot for the Ael Yael. I like to make PC's have to remember to look UP once in awhile
file_23.gif

But they are an interesting race. They were first in JTAS15 and then recently in G:T AR4.

William
One of the most fun characters I played back in the CT days was Ael Yael. I went the whole nine yards with a silly, slightly lisping accent, and nervous twitch that almost grew to a seizure around merchants. Wish I could remember his name...

Out of the T20 book, I like the Luriani best, I think. Just off enough from human to have a few quirks. /repost

For villains, I like the Zhodani; very cultured and civilized, very much tending to the long range viewpoint rather than the quick fix. For intrigue, the Zhos are without peer.

This is a tough one as I enjoy Vargr, Droyne, Virushi, Newts and Dolphins. (Were Vegans on the list?). In the end the doggies took it for me.

I didn't see them, else I would have selected Vegan as my favorite. ;) They just look cool.

Enjoy,
Flynn

I'm having a hard time remembering the Vegans, other than that they appeared in JTAS many ooms ago. Sorry I didn't put them on the list, too.

While k'Kree have certain "in-alienable rights" towards villainy (something about militant xenophobic vegetarians & the concept of genocide of carnivores/omnivores for 'lebensraum'), I have not used them IMTU as such-too far away from the main acton as yet in TNE era times...that may change. So I voted Vargr. (That and previous CT experience with them in the Marches).
In #1's case, Aslan, if I play an alien. Too much like the honorbound SCA-lifestyle I play in to ignore, and my playing them Heavily influenced by CJ Cherryh's Chanur series.

ymmv,
heretically

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
While k'Kree have certain "in-alienable rights" towards villainy (something about militant xenophobic vegetarians & the concept of genocide of carnivores/omnivores for 'lebensraum'), I have not used them IMTU as such-too far away from the main acton as yet in TNE era times...that may change. So I voted Vargr. (That and previous CT experience with them in the Marches).
In #1's case, Aslan, if I play an alien. Too much like the honorbound SCA-lifestyle I play in to ignore, and my playing them Heavily influenced by CJ Cherryh's Chanur series.

ymmv,
heretically
Hmmmm...your mention of the SCA just caused me to picture a Virushi at a 3 day Tourney or War. Just think, given both the Virushi physical and mental makeup, one could be both literal and ironic when accusing one of being a "rhinohider".

file_21.gif

Oh, and to briefly answer the poll, I officially answered Vargr for both categories. :D

Although I must admit, K'Kree do have their appeal, just haven't had too many encounters with them personally, except perhaps as a nice K'Kree "beef" Wellington.

Originally posted by Cleon the Mad:
Hmmmm...your mention of the SCA just caused me to picture a Virushi at a 3 day Tourney or War. Just think, given both the Virushi physical and mental makeup, one could be both literal and ironic when accusing one of being a "rhinohider".
file_21.gif

Although I must admit, K'Kree do have their appeal, just haven't had too many encounters with them personally, except perhaps as a nice K'Kree "beef" Wellington.

Ah gentleman of refined tastes and culture. :D :cool:

I also suggest trying Kung Pao K'Kree or K'Kree Vindaloo for a nice spicy Asian twist.
file_23.gif
:cool: ;)

Several of us prefer them shredded into BBQ fer sandwiches. Sauces vary with individual taste. ;)
Let us not forget full rack of ribs! :D

Or a real delicacy...

K'Kree Veal Parmesan! :D

Originally posted by lord irial:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George Boyett:
K'Kree Veal Parmesan! :D
LOL. No wonder they want to exterminate us!
file_21.gif
</font>
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
:eek: ;)

Without doubt my favourite Vargr encounter of all time was in Victorian London - in a scenario called 'An Alien Werewolf in London' published in an early edition of White Dwarf. It really made me appreciate what resilient, cunning swines those Vargr are when they're cornered.

file_21.gif
One mustn't forget the low rumbling laugh, from the Virushi, as he sat upon his antagonist and tried to explain his lack of rhino-hiding ways, since Lord Hide du Rhino would find this incongruity, at least in it's own mind, to be both confusing and funny.
:D

And forgive me for not quoting the various K'Kree entree ideas from various people, but I must concurr, such do make very good suggestions, from the simple behind the starship BBQ to such fine main entrees indeed. But, regardless, we need an appitizer, perhaps something seafood based. And since someone did suggest Kung-Pao K'kree, I'm thinking Solomani Asian again, albeit from Japan, not China. Perhaps some Hiver Sashimi?
file_23.gif

I won't ask which entrees get Scouts Brew and which get this infamous coffee juice I've been reading about, or what happens when one mixes the two. Nevermind, I think I will, good Liam here gave a wonderful hypothesis in the Lurker thread, but I do want to see what others think about the Coffee Juice/Scouts Brew cocktail. It's bound to happen, since a Scout/Merchant in T-20 is actually a logical multi-class, IMHO.

Originally posted by Kenegan:
Without doubt my favourite Vargr encounter of all time was in Victorian London - in a scenario called 'An Alien Werewolf in London' published in an early edition of White Dwarf. It really made me appreciate what resilient, cunning swines those Vargr are when they're cornered.
Makes me wonder if the Vargr in question would be annoyed or amused by people singing the Warren Zevon song "Werewolves of London" to them. I supposed it would depend on the perceived Charisma/prestige of the singer.

Ya know, I've just been inspired by this poll. I think in my next game, war will break out between Aslan and Dolphins somewhere and the pc's will be in the thick of it. War is for obvious reasons...

RV

I'm glad to see someone put Dolphins on the list - even if my favorite villians are still the Joes.

I've always had a problem with Dolphins in Traveller - as umpires they had no place in MTU. As player I've gone out of my way to 'get the dolphin.'

For those who remember "Seaquest DSV" I had real problems - all the problems of Star Trek TNG wil a damned dolphin added. :mad:

Biggest problem with dolphins - never trust a critter that smiles that much.

I chose Vargr as a PC - because it's the only one I ever played. (I've GM'd virtually all the Traveller I have ever been involved in.)

Hivers are my favorite NPC of the moment to play/use - something about their absolute alieness makes them great fun to play.

Aslans are the badd ass putty tats.. Je prefere les Zhodane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back