• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's automatic fire?

On page 199, the description for RoF ends, "in the format: Single Shot / Burst Fire / Automatic Fire".

While I easily found the rules for burst fire, I can't seem to locate those on automatic fire. Any idea?

Automatic Fire uses the same rules, but just fires more rounds. Bursts tend to mean short 3-4 round bursts,and automatic fire longer ones. For rules purposes they are pretty much the smae thing. In Traveller's Aide 1 there are some options that work better with autofire weapons than burst fire ones (supressive fire, etc), but thats the only real difference.

Shane

Hello Zensunni,

I think the answer to your quest can be found in Travellers Aid #1, unfortunately I cannot seem to find the exact page that you could find the rules on.

I found the rules on page 39 of TA#1. Which is actually page 41 when looking at Acrobat Reader's page index on the bottom left of the viewing pane.

Originally posted by Zensunni:
On page 199, the description for RoF ends, "in the format: Single Shot / Burst Fire / Automatic Fire".

While I easily found the rules for burst fire, I can't seem to locate those on automatic fire. Any idea?

You may also want to check out the rules on surpressing fire. It allows you to engage multipul targets in the same round. I forget the page number, but the gist of it is that you can shoot at a # of targets equal to 1/2 your RoF, but the tagets must be in close proximity to one another. It is also a full round action. It is highly effective.

Evening Rover,

The purpose of surpressing fire in the real world is primarily to keep the opposition's head down and unable to return fire. One side benefit is that there is a chance that some of the opposition will be hit by rounds. The disadvantage to this form of attack is that the high rate of fire also expends a lot of ammunition. To paraphase from one of my science fiction book series: "Once you run out of ammo, all you have is a high tech club."

Originally posted by Rover:
You may also want to check out the rules on surpressing fire. It allows you to engage multipul targets in the same round. I forget the page number, but the gist of it is that you can shoot at a # of targets equal to 1/2 your RoF, but the tagets must be in close proximity to one another. It is also a full round action. It is highly effective.

Tom,

You are correct. Surpressing fire in the real world is to make the other guy duck. But T20 is a game, and since there are no rules for engageing multipule targets with auto fire, my gaming group is using the surpressing fire rules.

My .02Cr

TA1 has rules for Area fire. Might want to check those out, along with their variant of Suppression fire.

Back