• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What to read for a corporate dystopia setting

Elliot

SOC-14 1K
I have been toying with developing adventures that use the Megacorporations - a kind of corporate dystopia setting.

The inspiration for this comes from real life (many of my friends are corporate lawyers who work in vast tower empires) and from some of the William Gibson stories in Burning Chrome.

Does anyone have any advice on literature - fiction or non fiction, sci fi or not that could help me in developing adventures in a megacorporation setting.

How about historical? Have a look at how the East India Companies (British, Dutch and French) and the Dutch West India Company did business and then extrapolate to Traveller's future setting.
Just a thought.

The film Rollerball (the Original, not the "reimagining") hits this well, milord... as does Soylent Green/Make Room! Make Room!

To perhaps a lesser degree, you have United States Robotics and Mechanical Men from the Asimov stories, while not exactly a dystopia, it does touch on the impact of a corp that holds a basic patent (in this case, Positronic Brains) to a society-changing Product...

If you can find a copy for less than 200.00, The Dune Encyclopedia has an excellent discription of the CHOAM company, the trade company that makes or breaks the Houses in Dune... wild stuff...

There are several contemporary books detailing the evils of certain Cigarette Companies, and Food conglomerates... and you can find many that are objective enough to suit what you seek...

Not to start a political firestorm, one could also look into several media articles on a certain company (Starts with H...) at work now, profiting off a certain conflict, that puts the "Dys" in dystopia...

Or, alternately, you could research the histories of the sevral companies that flourished under Nazi Germany, and are still in operation today...

And there's always ENRON...

omega.gif

Try "Altered Carbon" by Richard K Morgan. A very cool book. The sequel is quite good too.

I can second the Shadowrun suggestion. LIkewise the Cyberpunk game is good for megacorp ideas.

Shane

I've got to ask this question for clarity.
Are you interested in running something based around the Imperium wide network of megacorp offices, or just the hightech, cyberpunk type single world or head office type.
I've always pictured megacorp board meetings as something out of Dune rather than LA Law ;)

Originally posted by Elliot:
I have been toying with developing adventures that use the Megacorporations - a kind of corporate dystopia setting.

The inspiration for this comes from real life (many of my friends are corporate lawyers who work in vast tower empires) and from some of the William Gibson stories in Burning Chrome.

Does anyone have any advice on literature - fiction or non fiction, sci fi or not that could help me in developing adventures in a megacorporation setting.
My first thought would be Nueromancer from gibson that really had more of a corporate touch than some of his other work like Count Zero for example.

Now, after that, you want to snap back to a little bit of levity and put a little fun back into the cyberpunk. Neal Stephenson's The Snow Crash is perfect for that.

_

Sigg - I want it to be Traveller Megacorp - but in the mode of Gibson - I also want suggestions that are play orientated not background (i.e. Suit X from the Susag finance division wants to move to Hortlez et Cie but Susag has told him that he cannot move and Corporate security has said his safety cannot be guaranteed if he leaves the corporate village - the players are hired by Hortlez to get him to their offices safely, to use a Gibsonesque scenario).

Perhaps as a further question - Assume Traveller megacorps are dark future not bright happy smiley places that give the earth in lifestyle and wages but are minature fascist states for their employees once the loyalty has broken. What adventures can be developed and what literature should be read?

I have thought of Enron - but how can that be put into a game which PC's play in? Acting for shareholders who think something is up? Assisting a CEO whistleblower who is on the run from boardroom mercs? That sort of thing.

OK then, here are some of my favourite sci-fi novels that could help develop the theme.
Count Zero by William Gibson.
Shockwave Rider by John Brunner.
Stand on Zanzibar, also by John Brunner.
The Company Man by Joe Clifford Faust.
Islands in the Net by Bruce Stirling.
Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams (this one is a bit too silly cyberpunk, but read it from the bad guys'perspective).
Hope this helps.

There is an old Cyberpunk 2020 adventure named Green War that has some good ideas in it for corporations-based adventures. In the adventure, the players work for one corporation that wants to buy out another, smaller corporation. The players have to manipulate the other company's stock prices to lower it so it can be bought out.

Enron setting is a great idea:

Starting with the easy idea:

A player working for MegaEnron as a trader taps into some hints of information that the sales of industrial gases to the Imperial Military are bogus. Further inquiries reveal that the Imperial Military (Self-motivated, Rogue Admiral?) is in on it.

The player characters (PC) are brought into the fold to investigate. Some could investigate from within (corporate espionage), others could travel spaceward to verify that the outer-rim planets that are supposedly being mined for gases are in fact devoid of the industrial bases needed for harvesting.

The closer the PCs get to the source, the harder MegaEnron plays. In deep space, MegaCorps can play hardball. So instead of a little intimidation, MegaEnron unleashes its full wrath including sending assassins after the group, and playing hardball by blackmailing the characters (holding girlfriends, wives, parents as hostages).

Seed: Hey..this company MIGHT be corrupt.
Push: After further inquiries, assassins let the characters know they are on to something here. THe assassinations push them off planet. Off planet, the Rogue Imperial Admiral and his troops pursue the group in their tiny ship.
Pull: What exactly is MegaEnron upto? What branch of the government (Imperial body) is corrupt? Why? How will exposure have political ramifications for the Imperium?

Finally, the players could pull a Charlie Sheen (from WallStreet) and team up with MegaEnron's Chief rival for assistance in not only staying alive, but taking MegaEnron down...because after the murders of family, friends...the players want payback.

:eek:

Or what about the "Omen III: The Final Conflict" model, loosley based on Beatrice (hehe) where a Megacorp makes a bid to totally control the food supply entire for a large area of space... I would bring a cold light lantern, as you would have one dark campaign there... Sam Neill would be optional, of course...

omega.gif

I think in a previous post I mentioned that IMTU food is a major commodity and those who control it are very powerful; especially when population growth exceeds food production on major worlds.

One agro-world in particular is sort of an Amish/Facist state with lush fields, herds of domesticated food animals, seemingly happy, hard working people, and a secret police force. They even train covert operatives to contaminate or destroy rival production facilities. By adjusting the price of simple food stuffs, this world can easily force the entire sector's economy into double digit inflation or recession at will.

... until the Ministry of Inquiry steps in, Declan Quinn...

Hey Ran, do you know what happened with Gothic Nebula? (To stray off topic for a second..) I never found out yet, though I look in every other day now...

omega.gif

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
... until the Ministry of Inquiry steps in, Declan Quinn...

Hey Ran, do you know what happened with Gothic Nebula? (To stray off topic for a second..) I never found out yet, though I look in every other day now...

omega.gif
Do you really want me to spoil it?

Walter Jon Williams
Hardwired
Voice of the Whirlwind

Cyberpunk 2020
Corporate Profile vol 1
Corporate Profile vol 2

Shadowrun
Corporate Shadowfiles
Blood in the Boardroom
Corporate Download