• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

what is traveller?

jye42

SOC-1
Now a few days ago my GM says were going to play this new game called traveller, at the time i dident have time to ask him about it so i thaught id come here. so what exactly is traveller, i don't even know the setting? help me out here

Great synopsis Hunter! I wonder if Traveller refers to the journey of life or life's journey amongst the Stars.

In another post I challenged our fellow gamers to write a pitch but so far I have been the only taker. Therefore, I would have to conclude that Traveller is whatever we imagine it to be and the imagination of our wildest imaginations. And I guess that is what accounts for its popularity.

Here's a page on Freelance Traveller that you also might like:

An Introduction To Traveller

It looks like it was made for a campaign set around The Traveller Adventure (which came out in the late 70's or early 80's and a lot of people still use today).

Hope that helps,

Scout

Traveller is, IMO, not just a collection of rulesets, ranging from goo to exquisite, but a setting.

The Traveller Universe is a place shaped by the ancients, where trade is the holy grail, warfare is seen as a societal relief valve, and the 3rd Imperium of mankind dominates its environs. A place where stories ranging from epic to banal can all occur, with some assurances that they can be fit somewhere. A setting with 25 years of developent.

A setting supported by any of thefollowing rulesets:
Classic Traveller (in print in the reprint editions)
MegaTraveller (In E-reprint), set during the shattering of the imperium and the resultant (un)civil war.
Traveller the New Era, set afterthe collapse of the 3I (not curretly in publictions)
T4: Marc Miller's Traveller (not currently in publication)
T20: The Traveler's HANDBOOK. THE D20 verion. (Currently in print, both electronic and paper)
GURPS:Traveller. The GURPS Port, an alternate traveler universe where MT's background events never happened.

If you look on the net, you will also find a dozen conversions to ther sytem's mechanics, including CORPS, FUDGE, Hero, and Interlock.

Travller is, most of all, a self-consisten technology tree for science fiction adventure.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Travller is, most of all, a self-consisten technology tree for science fiction adventure.
Interestingly enough, on JTAS we've just had someone decry the whole concept of Traveller as a setting, as being too limiting.

Can't be all things to all people :-/

Except that it's not a self-consistent technology tree at all
file_23.gif
. CT tech is different from MT Tech is very different from TNE tech is very different from GT tech. Sometimes the technological principles aren't even the same.

I think the setting is the common thing shared by all the different incarnations of Traveller (yes, even TNE. That's still a logical follow-on from the collapse of the Third Imperium, it's not a brand new setting). The rules and mechanics of it are what's different between those incarnations.

BTW, the supplements for TNE and all of T4 are available from www.drivethrurpg.com, so they are very much available as ebooks.

Though I can't find the TNE corebook at DTRPG, for some odd reason. Am I being blind or is it not there?!

Originally posted by Malenfant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
Except that it's not a self-consistent technology tree at all
file_23.gif
. CT tech is different from MT Tech is very different from TNE tech is very different from GT tech. Sometimes the technological principles aren't even the same.
</font>[/QUOTE]But T20 tech IS the same as CT tech! ;)

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:
But T20 tech IS the same as CT tech! ;)
I suspected that was the case but I wasn't sure if that was true, so I left that out of the list ;) .

Actually T20 is the most consistent, setting wise with CT. It is the D20 elements where it diverges. Character creation, combat and the whole class & level bit is the difference.

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Actually T20 is the most consistent, setting wise with CT. It is the D20 elements where it diverges. Character creation, combat and the whole class & level bit is the difference.
Thanks! That is what we strived for.

Hunter

The funny thing is I actually prefer the new combat rules at a personal and vehicle level. (CT didn't really have vehicle combat rules anyway.) I also do like most of the new class and level rules. (I miss the Intel and SOF tracks from LBB4-6 and the Academies.) On a starship level, it works better than High Guard especially on the advanced combat rules for small ships. Now if we could just fix the mechanics so that Capital Ships don't swat each other like flies regardless of size, I would consider it as close to perfect as you are likely to get in any RPG.

Originally posted by hunter:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
Thanks! That is what we strived for.

Hunter
</font>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Now if we could just fix the mechanics so that Capital Ships don't swat each other like flies regardless of size, I would consider it as close to perfect as you are likely to get in any RPG.
It's a tough model to make work with Traveller tech. The easiest way is to scale up the defensive tech and leave the offensive tech alone.

In the end though, Naval engagements are supposed to be bloody and nasty if both sides are played in that most dreaded of settings, the contextless combat. I for one don't see the Imperium at large practicing a "last man standing" kind of warfare most of the time...

Amusingly, the nation pinwheel around the Imperium has matched sets of combatant types: The Hivers and Zhodani are far more methodical and subtle about their warfare, while the Aslan and K'Kree can be depended on to fight to the bitter end for a point of honor or against the gnaak. Lastly, the Solomani and Vargr are the oddballs, fighting with the grim confidence of the inherently superior or the *apparently* reckless abandon of the hunting pack.

Also recommended is Downport.com's Understanding Traveller page. I thought there was a "hidden" (as in not currently linked in but on the site) Traveller explanation page on farfuture.net but I can't find the link at the moment.
[UPDATE]I thought there was more than this but it's a start:
What is Traveller?
A CONCISE HISTORY OF THE VILANI PERIOD (-100,000 TO -2204)
[/UPDATE]

Originally posted by Malenfant:
Though I can't find the TNE corebook at DTRPG, for some odd reason. Am I being blind or is it not there?!
The week that DTRPG released TNE's World Tamers Handbook they had originally planned to release the TNE corebook but couldn't get the filesize down enough for a freebie. Looks like they're still working on it.

AFAIK T4's hardback campaign setting Milieu 0 Campaign (i.e. the semi-fixed version of First Survey & Milieu 0 + some new goodies) isn't on DTRPG either. Too bad as I would consider purchasing it but not the other two books.

Casey

"I would consider it as close to perfect as you are likely to get in any RPG."

Well, apart from all that rubbish about levels & XPs...

Actually I found it easier to remove the +5 crit for spinal weapons and limit starship weapons to X2 crit modifiers. Still bloody and dangerous but at least not instant vaporization of 800,000 Ton dreadnaughts 55+% of the time. (Actually to survive a typical crit with a meson spinal with more than 0 SI you have to be over 8,000,000 tons.) School is still out on whether to leave Gunnery as a skill IMTU.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
Now if we could just fix the mechanics so that Capital Ships don't swat each other like flies regardless of size, I would consider it as close to perfect as you are likely to get in any RPG.
It's a tough model to make work with Traveller tech. The easiest way is to scale up the defensive tech and leave the offensive tech alone.

In the end though, Naval engagements are supposed to be bloody and nasty if both sides are played in that most dreaded of settings, the contextless combat. I for one don't see the Imperium at large practicing a "last man standing" kind of warfare most of the time...

Amusingly, the nation pinwheel around the Imperium has matched sets of combatant types: The Hivers and Zhodani are far more methodical and subtle about their warfare, while the Aslan and K'Kree can be depended on to fight to the bitter end for a point of honor or against the gnaak. Lastly, the Solomani and Vargr are the oddballs, fighting with the grim confidence of the inherently superior or the *apparently* reckless abandon of the hunting pack.
</font>[/QUOTE]

To address Malenfant's criticism f my pst:
If you only use one edition, it is entirely self consistent (except T4).

And, last I'd checked TNE was not yet up on DTRPG... I don't keep close tabs on TNE, sinceI don't use it.

And T4 needs to be steered aruond anyway.

Back