• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vehicle Shops or Maintance Shops

I've been searching around here & I can't find it brought up before so...In the ship design section it lists a Vehicle Shop in the Starship/Small Craft Accommodations & Fittings table on pg. 278,but no discription of it.My question is;is it the same thing as the Maintance Bay on table 1 on pg.276 & discribed on pg.274. I know they both cost the same but I wanted to make certain I'm not missing something.(I do that quite often. :rolleyes: ) Thanks for any & all answers.

Originally posted by WarriorKnight:
I've been searching around here & I can't find it brought up before so...In the ship design section it lists a Vehicle Shop in the Starship/Small Craft Accommodations & Fittings table on pg. 278,but no discription of it.My question is;is it the same thing as the Maintance Bay on table 1 on pg.276 & discribed on pg.274. I know they both cost the same but I wanted to make certain I'm not missing something.(I do that quite often. :rolleyes: ) Thanks for any & all answers.
The description on p.274 mentions "vehicle shop" when talking about the "Maintenance Shop", so I'd say they are the same thing.

Lo WarriorKnight & Falkayn,

Is a Vehicle Shop the same thing as a Maintenance Shop?

Yes and no, both shops work on some sort of equipment. The Vehicle shop is designed to work on vehicles, usually a specific type of vehicle or vehicles. A Maintenace shop is, at least to me, a generic name used as a place holder for a shop used to work on unspecified equipment. An Electronics Maintenance shop works on electronic systems by way of a more specific example.

Originally posted by WarriorKnight:

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Yes and no, both shops work on some sort of equipment. The Vehicle shop is designed to work on vehicles, usually a specific type of vehicle or vehicles. A Maintenace shop is, at least to me, a generic name used as a place holder for a shop used to work on unspecified equipment. An Electronics Maintenance shop works on electronic systems by way of a more specific example.
Tom,

I think in general you're right. But in respect of the T20 starship design rules, they seem to be the same thing (it probably got a name change in one place and not another).

The rules do mention Engineering Shops, which are quite specifically described as being for repairs of the starship itself.

Lo Falkayn,

My take was just slightly different, in that T20 listed to specific shops (Vehicle/Engineering), and a third generic one called Maintenance. Then again my view is based on the other Traveller version design systems that used the stateroom as the basis for creating other componens not listed.

On a side note, have you (A) received my email sent 7/8/03, (B) Read same email, or (C) forwarded email from that pesky Tom character directly to the trash bin;).

Again thanks for the replies, help, and good stuff on your web site.

Originally posted by Falkayn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Tom,

I think in general you're right. But in respect of the T20 starship design rules, they seem to be the same thing (it probably got a name change in one place and not another).

The rules do mention Engineering Shops, which are quite specifically described as being for repairs of the starship itself.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
On a side note, have you (A) received my email sent 7/8/03, (B) Read same email, or (C) forwarded email from that pesky Tom character directly to the trash bin;).
Read, and am willing and able. Send the CDS to me and I'll have a good look at it. I actually thought I'd already replied! (consequences of being sick this week)

Thanks Falkayn for the fast response and being agreeable to test the spreadsheet. Fast update: I appear to have successfully added the features to design through a budget of cost, volume, or both. While running some tests I realized thatsomeone might actually want to have additional copies of the software as backups. To have a copy you either duplicate the software or purchase additional copies. Also, I may have a resolution to the Advanced Tech rules. Hopefully, I'll be able to send you a drift in a couple of days.

Again thanks for everything.

Originally posted by Falkayn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Read, and am willing and able. Send the CDS to me and I'll have a good look at it. I actually thought I'd already replied! (consequences of being sick this week) </font>[/QUOTE]

Back