• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vehicle Design Question

When placing weapons in turrets, can you split the volume between the turret and the chassis?

I seem to recall such a rule in the CT Striker design sequences, and I wondered if it applied to T20. I'd like to keep my vehicle designs within the given rules as much as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

:cool:

Hello LordRhys,

In CT:Striker Book 3 Equipment copyright 1981, 5th printing p. 7 a weapon's volume is not split between turret and chassis. However two components associated with the weapon are split.
These items are (1) Fire control (1/2 weapon station & 1/2 in weapon mount) and (2) autoloaders (1/2 in weapon mount & 1/2 in ammo storage location).

Originally posted by LordRhys:
When placing weapons in turrets, can you split the volume between the turret and the chassis?

I seem to recall such a rule in the CT Striker design sequences, and I wondered if it applied to T20. I'd like to keep my vehicle designs within the given rules as much as possible.

Thanks,

The only problem I see, is that T20 doesn't seperate the weapon itself from the autoloader etc..

The fire control computer and ammo are listed seperately, but that seems to be it.

Originally posted by LordRhys:

I suppose you could but either way the tonnage is ultimately out of the chassis anyway.

This might be an option one of the folks working on Vehicle TAs might want to slip in somewhere.

Hunter

The Main reason for the question was the enormous size of the Heavy Fusion Gun (7,000vl). In a 10 dton vehicle the maximum turret size of 11,200vl leaves only 8,000vl for equipment/people in a heavy turret. Splitting the weapon volume would give enough room for a VRF Gauss Gun or something in the turret. I wanted to make an Intrepid-sized Grav Tank, and always believed it needed a coaxial gun in the turret for suppressive fire and scrubbing infantry off a buddy's hull (A VRF Gauss Gun is perfect for this.).

When I built the Intrepid for TA6, I ran into the same problem (sort of). I moved the VRF to a copula mount on the body. The main turret holds the Fusion gun, Gunner, targeting computer, sensors and gunner holodisplay. I got this to fit in the space you are contemplating using.

In theory the VRF is too large to be used as a co-axial gun. But nothing else is powerful enough to be useful.

Back