• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vargr Prestige

Originally posted by lightsenshi:
Anyone figured out how to add to this stat (as I can't recall what the rules were in CT). If so, please advise.
You mean during prior service and character generation? I've been adding one point if the character gets an XP bonus, one for a decoration, subtract two for a blown survival role, subtract one if they fail to get an XP bonus three terms in a row, same thing for comission/promotion. Just made this up on the fly, still probably need to work some kinks out of it.

Originally posted by lightsenshi:
Anyone figured out how to add to this stat (as I can't recall what the rules were in CT). If so, please advise.
Hello lightsenshi,

First, let me say that I have not worked on character generation so I may be out to lunch with my post. With that said, going to THB Chapter 2: Characters/Vargr pp23-24 2nd Column 3rd bullet here is what I think is being said and how Prestige is used:

1. Prestige is based on the Vargr's Charisma and is used only when interacting with other Vargr.

2. Base Presitge is determined by Charisma/3 (rounded down to the nearest whole number) with a minimum score of 1.

3. Prestige may or may not change and is determined at each new level the character achieves. Presitge is gained or lost by 1 point as determined by the GM .

4. Prestige is gained by being successful and flamboyant at a task. examples from p23: Defeating a notorious foe, Avoiding defeat and diminishing the Prestige of your opponent, etc.

5. Prestige is lost by failing to accomplish a task, getting your tail kicked by an opponent, or having a pack member of lesser Prestige succeed at the same or different task, etc. High-Prestige Vargr can lose points by not gaining points through the appearances of playing it safe."

Now for an example:

Faeozin has Cha: 15 and Prestige: 05

Faeozin is the leader of a cosair boarding party that successfully reallocates the cargo of a merchant. He also gains a new level which also means the GM must decide how the other pack members reacted to his leadership. Being successful is one requirement for increasing his Prestige.

If this is his first time leading the action then the GM might raise his Prestige to 1.

If this is his second time leading the pack and he did nothing spectacular then the GM may not raise or lower his Prestige.

If Faeozin has led several successful actions without being spectacular or another pack member does something notworthy the GM may lower his Prestige.

Okay, the above is how I think Prestige works and I hope this answers the question that was asked.

Well, while I too was doing some off the cuff supposing while looking at Prior History and Vargr prestige, my idea is a bit stingier (I think) than Cleon the Mad's. So fwiw...

Vargr Prestige in Prior History:

Commission : roll made = +2 prestige (no real prestige in the pack, i.e. enlisted ranks)

Officer promotion : roll made = +1 prestige (showing leadership)

Officer promotion : roll missed = -1 prestige (bad or no leadership demonstrated)

Decorations : PH = +1 prestige (scars are good), MCUF = +2 prestige (ooh shiny), MCG = +3 prestige (the ship is awed), and SEH = +4 prestige (the fleet knows your name)

Cash bonus earned : +1 prestige or +2 with Gambling skill, but only if a share of 5% per prestige point before adding this is given away (arrh, loot matey, and booty to share), otherwise the plus 1 or 2 is a minus 1 or 2 (stingy whelp of a woman, pardon my Irilitok)

Survival Mishap : -1 prestige per point rolled

Don't forget to let the player's know they can take voluntary dm's on the survival roll to adjust some of the other rolls, be bold and raise your prestige (if it doesn't get you in trouble) or play it safe and just be a part of the pack.

I think I'll go roll up a corsair full of Vargr to test this out but if anyone else tries it let us know here how it went.

Morning Far-Trader,

Oh, y'all did not mean how Pestige mechanics worked after character generation. Hmm, I must have been on the boards to long to miss the real question being asked. I like your rules for "Prior History." They are more generous than T20's official, if vaguely written, rules. As listed in my earlier p23 2nd column, 3rd bullet, 7th sentence, 6th word from the left: "When a new level is achieved the Referee should determine if the character will gain or lose one point of Prestige (or remain at the sme score) based on the actions of the character since they last gained a level."

Originally posted by far-trader:
Well, while I too was doing some off the cuff supposing while looking at Prior History and Vargr prestige, my idea is a bit stingier (I think) than Cleon the Mad's. So fwiw...

Vargr Prestige in Prior History:

Commission : roll made = +2 prestige (no real prestige in the pack, i.e. enlisted ranks)

Officer promotion : roll made = +1 prestige (showing leadership)

Officer promotion : roll missed = -1 prestige (bad or no leadership demonstrated)

Decorations : PH = +1 prestige (scars are good), MCUF = +2 prestige (ooh shiny), MCG = +3 prestige (the ship is awed), and SEH = +4 prestige (the fleet knows your name)

Cash bonus earned : +1 prestige or +2 with Gambling skill, but only if a share of 5% per prestige point before adding this is given away (arrh, loot matey, and booty to share), otherwise the plus 1 or 2 is a minus 1 or 2 (stingy whelp of a woman, pardon my Irilitok)

Survival Mishap : -1 prestige per point rolled

Don't forget to let the player's know they can take voluntary dm's on the survival roll to adjust some of the other rolls, be bold and raise your prestige (if it doesn't get you in trouble) or play it safe and just be a part of the pack.

I think I'll go roll up a corsair full of Vargr to test this out but if anyone else tries it let us know here how it went.

Hail Tom, if I may call you so
file_22.gif

Well, I'm not sure what lightsenshi was after specifically, I just joined the Mad One's parade

I figured the T20 rules were clear enough (vague for lots of wiggle room for the GM?) so he must have been after some Prior History ideas.

I think I'm not overly generous though. Remember a term (at least early on) is going to be 3 or 4 levels. So at (if bold) +1 Prestige per level that's +3 or +4 a term. I think my idea should average out around that. Remember not all Prior History will add to Prestige, though I didn't elaborate. Specifically Education (and possibly Academic). Also not all Prior History terms will have rank, bonuses, and/or decorations, but they all do have survival mishaps
file_22.gif

I'm thinking there might be need to figure some sort of minimum survival DM to avoid loss of Prestige. Maybe -1 per 5 (full) points of Prestige.

eg. Prestige of 8 must apply -1 to the survival roll or no gain in Prestige is allowed for the term, though loss may still occur.

Ive been thinking about it (amazing what kind of responses you can get, huh?) and what I came up with was the following:

+1 Prestige for successful Commission, Promotion, and Decorations other than Purple Hearts or the SEH (or equivalent 8000 XP award).

+2 Prestige for SEC or equivalent.

-1d3 for failed survival roll.

Back