• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vargr Dialects

Morte

SOC-14 1K
Anyone know which dialect Vargr mainly use in the sectors around Vland?

It's Gvegh in the Marches and Irilitok in Gateway, but Vland?

Vilani & Vargr ("Cogs & Dogs") has Ovaghoun as the Cultural Region which includes the trailing quarter of Provence, Windhorn, and Meshan. Looks like there's also some overlap with Logaksu (Lair) Spinward. Both areas, Ovaghoun especially, include lands that were original part of the Ziru Sirka though usually sparsely populated.

So either a Logaksu or Ovaghoun dialect is my guess depending on how far you go Rimward/Trailing.

Casey

Don't have my copy of "Cogs & Dogs" on hand. Will look it up and post later.

Edit:
Casey
So either a Ovaghoun or Logaksu dialect is my guess.
Guess I don't need to look it up now

Thank you. My noble now speaks, reads and writes Ovaghoun. Fought them in the navy, don't you know.

So, has anyone translated what the Vargr are saying in "Who let the Dogs Out" yet? ;)

People who should know better want to know.
file_22.gif

Originally posted by Wolfman:
So, has anyone translated what the Vargr are saying in "Who let the Dogs Out" yet? ;)
"Rise up and rebel, cousins. You can rule this planet if the pink skins have sunk low enough to listen to this crap."

Evening Casey,

Are you refering to DGP's Vilani & Vargr? Is there another publisher that used the same title?

Um, I'm looking on p. 58 of DGP's Vilani & Vargr. Here is what the non-canon resource says: "..speakers of languages belonging to the Gvegh family - Gvegh, Knithnour, and Taeksu, among others - live along the spinward boundaries of the Extents. Urzaeng tongues are spoken corewoard of the Windhorn Rift, while Suezuk and Irilitok language families are prevalent to far trailing."

GDW Alien Module 3: Vargr p. 7 only talks about the Gvegh language family. However, this resource indicates that about 60% of the Vargr one meets speaks a Gvegh-family language.

GURPS Traveller Alien Module p. 85 adds adjacent regions to the information provided in GDW's resource book.

Originally posted by Casey:
Vilani & Vargr ("Cogs & Dogs") has Ovaghoun as the Cultural Region which includes the trailing quarter of Provence, Windhorn, and Meshan. Looks like there's also some overlap with Logaksu (Lair) Spinward. Both areas, Ovaghoun especially, include lands that were original part of the Ziru Sirka though usually sparsely populated.

So either a Logaksu or Ovaghoun dialect is my guess depending on how far you go Rimward/Trailing.

Casey

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Evening Casey,

Are you refering to DGP's Vilani & Vargr?
Evening Thomas. Yes. pp. 46-47 Cultural Regions of the Extents and related maps, mainly the one on p.47 and p.49.

emphasis mine
"The following coarse ethnic groupings of Vargr (defined by similarities in language, culture, and physiological characteristics) are recognized by most astrographers."

You left out the start of that sentence on page 58, "For instance, ". That paragraph ends with "Within these and other families, dozens of dialects exist."

Personally it may be fuzzy canon these days but it's the only resource I could find that even covers that area. And the idea that the Vargr race would only speak one or two dialects just seems...non-Vargrish to me. ^_^

Given that in CT days the focus was on the Marches area and the GT alien books for the most part follow the CT books I'm not suprised they focus on Gvegh. The Traveller's Handbooks only mentions the dialect local to Gateway Irilitok. There's really not much "canon" info on Vland and the surrounding region in general.

Casey

[EDIT]corrected T20 reference and looked up maps[/EDIT]

Hello Casey,

Thanks for the reply and update on the information on V & V. Yep, I left the leading part out since at the time I didn't think it was relative, also there should have been 3 dots indicating that I was quoting a certain part of the sentence. As for the missing last part I'm claiming that web gremlins stole the message, I know I typed it. ;)

I agree that the Vargr have more dialects per planetary holding than you can shake a stick at. Again thanks for getting me a little more straightened out.

Why is Vilani and Vargr non canon? I thought DGP material was entirely canon, protected by the Emperor Marc's edict, just un usable in a publication currently.

Originally posted by Elliot:
Why is Vilani and Vargr non canon? I thought DGP material was entirely canon, protected by the Emperor Marc's edict, just un usable in a publication currently.
My understanding of the matter (and do a search for 'DGP' and/or 'DGP' and 'Canon' here on CotI) is that is more or less correct, hence my use of "fuzzy canon", which IIRC was used by LKW on the TML originally.

And as far as using materials in anyone's game goes, it makes no difference. FWIW I do find V&V a tad dry and in the Vilani section at least a bit spotty. Religion & some social customs like marriage come to mind; perhaps the info is there like it was for Vargr languages but I would have to comb through the book to find it (haven't read it cover to cover yet*). There is room IMO for say a GT: Vilani which at the least would use better headings and have an index. ;)

Casey

* keep in mind I only got it earlier this year. The clothing designs o.o

Hello Elliot,

I'm the one who is confused, or was confused. When I contacted Casey, I had just looked at my T4 material and got DGP confused with Imperium. Or am I still confused? ;)

Sorry all - knee jerk reaction - dont want this to become another canon debate - keep on with the good work....

Hello again Elliot,

I don't think you were debating canon and non-canon, just trying to help unconfuse a poor retired submarine sailor :D ;) Thanks for catching my lapse.

Sorry all - knee jerk reaction - dont want this to become another canon debate - keep on with the good work....

Back