• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vague Traffic Measurements

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Marc Says:

My conclusion is that
passenger numbers for interstellar travel need to be symbolic or representative rather than actual.
Marc's probably approaching this from a playability angle. What does the player see? An orbit uncluttered by visitors, or awash in activity? Wide open spaces, or New Orleans-style (busy) orbital ports?

Or, maybe he's thinking "this port is an order of magnitude busier than that port".

Or, maybe he's thinking something else.

Maybe by describing them as sedate, busy, very busey etc. it's being left to the referee to decide what this represents in his TH.

I'm a small ship heretic, so I would put quite small numbers to what each of the above represents.
Someone using the GT:FT model may well have many more passengers, etc.

Whoof, yeah, good point.

How about a busyness index?

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Index Busyness
0 empty
1 slow
2 average
3 bustling
4 dense
5 crowded</pre>[/QUOTE]

Multiply that index by the Population code and that could be how many passengers try to get a bunk/stateroom on any given day.

Dameon

"From Port to Jump Point" in the JTAS reprints covers quite a bit of this, from a players' perspective (i.e., "How many ships are in starport, and when are they leaving?").

I like the symbolic representation of this kind of info. A simple 0-A range that I can use how I want to, populated with the types/sizes of ships that I want in my game. Even for the OTU, we all play it a little different. If you are sticking to LBB2 size ships or HG size ships you will want to use the number differently.

I will generate the specific number of ships based on my vision of the OTU, or MTU.

Originally posted by Sir Dameon Toth:
Multiply that index by the Population code and that could be how many passengers try to get a bunk/stateroom on any given day.

Dameon
Or average it with neighboring worlds for the number of dice to roll, or an order of magnitude, or a lookup.

Don’t forget in-system traffic! Not everyone is going to another system, there is plenty of adventure to be had without a jump drive.

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
Don’t forget in-system traffic! Not everyone is going to another system, there is plenty of adventure to be had without a jump drive.
Quoted for truthiness.

As a side note, it pains me when players jump in and out of really cool systems without ever taking the time to look around anyplace other than the mainworld - to that end, I'll put speculative cargos on different planets or satellites to compel them to stretch their legs a bit.

Back