• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Type W Barge

This is, yet another
, 100 ton minimal starship and its vehicle. I'm interested in getting some opinions on it.
-------------------------------------------------

Barge (Type W)
Medium-sized starship
TL 9, MCr 14.98, 100 tons. The Barge is an uncommon design minimal capability starship. The Barge is an unstreamlined starship capable of only 1-G and Jump-1, but with a 54 ton cargo capacity. Barges are cheap and many of these minimal capability ships were purchased by governments and then mothballed before being sold off by those same governments to private users. They are often seen as training ships or auxiliaries, and are disposed of as garbage scows or gunnery targets. Most are between 100 and 200 years old and thus depreciated.

Barge
Class: Starship, Type W
Tech Level: 9
Size: Medium (100 tons)
Streamlining: Unstreamlined (Disperse Struct)
Jump Range: 1 x Jump-1
Acceleration: 1-G
Fuel: 12 tons
Duration: 8 weeks
Crew: 1
Small Cabins: 1
Bunks: 1
Low Berths: 3 normal, 1 Emergency
Cargo Space: 54 tons
EP Output: 1
Agility: 0
Initiative: 0
AC: 10
AR: 0
SI: 100
Main Computer: Model/1
Sensor Range: Close (Model/1)
Comm Range: Close (Model/1)
Atmospheric Speed: n/a
Cost: MCr 14.98
Other Equipment: Outrigger

Outrigger
Large Grav vehicle
TL 8, KCr 103.2, 2000 vl. A small enclosed grav vehicle designed to compliment the Type W Barge as an auxiliary craft. An Outrigger can cruise at 60kph, with a max speed of 120kph, and an acceleration of 1.02G within 10 diameters of a world. An Outrigger can reach orbit in several hours (number of hours equal to world size digit in UWP); the vehicle is enclosed and has life support for 600 hours. Range for the Outrigger is 125 hours or 10 diameters of a world. The Emergency Low Berth of the Barge may be moved into the Outrigger in 4 hours, turning the Outrigger into a minimal lifeboat – an emergency solar panel is provided to power the Emergency Low Berth and a distress beacon indefinitely.

Outrigger
Class: Grav Vehicle
Cost: KCr 103.2
Tech Level: 8
Size: Large (2000 vl)
Streamlining: Standard
Pressurized?: Yes
Climate Control: Yes
Drive Train: Grav
Crew: 1 + 1 passenger
Accomodations: 1 fresher, 1 passenger bunk
Cargo Space: 1010 vl
Fuel: 100 vl (125 hours (600 hours))
EP Output: 5.25 (no excess)
Agility: 0
Initiative: 0
AC: 9 (-1 size)
AR: 0
SI: 50
Visual: 1.5km LI Video
Speeds: Acc = 12kph, Very Slow = 12kph, Slow = 30kph, Cruise = 60kph, Fast = 90kph, Max = 120kph

Type W Barge, Notes-

“I don’t know who had sex with who to get the IISS to buy these hunks of crap, but I damn well hope they got a disease!”
These ships are the result of a government contract going to the lowest bidder. They are cheap and absolutely minimal capacity (save cargo), and plentiful (one can be found at almost every scout, navy, or military base). Because of this, many are mothballed or sold off after a suitable time with a depreciation of 1% per 2 years if maintained and 1% per year if not maintained.

“I swear that the Chief Design Engineer of these crates was named Rube Goldberg!”
Malfunctions:
Roll a DC 20 save every week to see if the ship breaks down, +1 per week past monthly or annual maintenance, and +1 if using unrefined fuel. A T/Engineering check must be made that is equal to or greater than the malfunction save roll to fix it, one roll per day allowed.
Quirks:
These ships have design quirks, a lot of them. Referees are encouraged to be creative here. Be annoying, not deadly. Things like -
The microwave oven for the galley doubles as an auxiliary hydrogen pump, so players must ensure that the safeguards are engaged before cooking….
The hydrogen lines are next to the potable water lines in the ship, so ice cold water tends to flow out of taps and showers when the ship maneuvers….

Demountable Fuel Tankage:
Many have been refitted with demountable fuel tanks to increase their range and act as auxiliary fuel tenders. A 5-ton demountable tank costs KCr5, fits in a cargo bay (10 required for 50 tons), and is available at any C or better starport where they can be manufactured within 10 weeks. Demountable tanks can be mounted or removed in 2 weeks by the ship’s crew or in 1 week by a starport crew for Cr5 per tank with a storage fee of Cr5 per tank per day.
Agility Power Plant:
A 100EP (1 EP starship) vehicle fuel cell with a 20 hour duration fuel capacity may be attached to the maneuver drive of the Barge to provide an Agility of 1 for the duration of the fuel. A malfunction save must be made each hour while in use. This takes up 0.5 tons displacement (usually cargo, but sometimes the bunk space). This modification takes a week and costs KCr30 to install.
This ship came out of a bitch session about how expensive starships were in Traveller. So I designed the “economy” starship with some quirks and made it about 100 to 200 years old so that players could buy it at a reduced price. A 100 year old unmaintained or a 200 year old maintained Barge could be picked up from a starport for a down payment of KCr29.96 with monthly payments of Cr625…
Perfect for a beginning small player group to get into a bit of adventuring with.
---------Jeff M. Hopper

Interesting Idea. I any vision as to how it is shaped?

This reminds me of commodore's vessel in the movie "Popeye"

The original deckplans that I have were, honestly, done so that I could print them out in the format of a tri-folded pamphlet that I could hand my players. The barge looks like a basic 'brick' with sensor/communications antennae sticking out at odd angles. The sides of the 'brick' are not smooth because of cowlings placed over drives and fuel tanks that cannot be fully enclosed, kind of like how the Apollo Lunar Module was shaped.

Of course, now I want to rewatch "Popeye" because I had never made that connection - although it makes sense. You're talking about the live action one with Robin Williams, right?

The tonnage breakdown is this:

100 ton Hull
-2 J-drive
-10 J-drive fuel
-2 M-drive
-1.5 Power Plant
-2 Power Plant fuel
-20 Bridge (some space used for corridors & airlock)
-1 Computer (avionics, sensors, commo)
-2 Small cabin
-1 Bunk (1/2 small cabin)
-1.5 Low berths (3)
-1 Emergency low berth
-2 Outrigger
-54 Cargo (in one large 50 ton bay and a smaller 4 ton bay)

I used the bridge space for the fudging in my design because 20 tons seemed a bit large for control electronics. The cargo space was split into one large and one small bay since often the Barge is outfitted as a scout or naval auxiliary in a configuration that has interior demountable fuel tankage in the large bay and a hardpoint with triple turret and missile magazine in the small bay.

I like it.

I think I'll call it the type W "Hopper" though, after the original designer?

History lesson follows - IMTU, non-canonical CT, the development of jump went something like this:

we kludged together this poorly understood device, it creates the "jump" field, and we find that the LARGEST thing we can fit into it (with enough safety margin) displaces a volume X which is CLOSE ENOUGH to 200 Dtonnes that we redefine the unit Dtonne such that X = 200 DTonnes.

The first prototype drive, named after the theoretician Alcubierre (a Googol search on this name is amusing), was shortened to the A jump drive, integral multiples of it scaled linearly, how odd, and became B, C, etc.

The rest is the future.

Originally posted by Soldiurnare:
I like it.

I think I'll call it the type W "Hopper" though, after the original designer?

OK, if you want, its kinda flattering.
Although I'd ask you to do one thing. Give each ship an individual "personality" so that they are an inanimate NPC for the players to interact with. Quirks, like having the groaning sound of tortured metal occur whenever the ship enters jump so that the players get the feeling that their ship is a tired old man complaining at having to exercise his legs. Make it live for them.

You share ideas, you get to label it. Or get labeled with it.

I use a "reliability" system for hulls, as they age, they abrade reliability, quirks are one telltale - these "cheap, old hulls" should and will aquire personality - with or without true AI, machines develop Stimulus/Response quirks which we recognise and learn to associate with personality (Kaylee in Firefly, Scotty on the dear old Enterprise, Han Solo on the Falcon, etc).

You want the Hoppers to be old beloved workhorses.

Can do. Fun stuff, thanks.

So, you have a .5xA jump drive on these hulls - J1 for a 100 ton hull - using 10 tons fuel for J1, how much for J0 (insystem jump)? 10? 5? Always wondered about that.

Originally posted by Soldiurnare:

So, you have a .5xA jump drive on these hulls - J1 for a 100 ton hull - using 10 tons fuel for J1, how much for J0 (insystem jump)? 10? 5? Always wondered about that.
I'd say 10 tons of minimal jump fuel regardless, because that seems to be a good benchmark for minimum jump field creation. Any less and you'd get an increased chance of misjump.

Mr. Hopper,

Great idea and great design. I especially like the idea of each desing exhibiting an individual 'crankiness' of some sort. The PCs' ship should be a NPC.

You all may like to check out Walt Smith's excellent 100 dTon Jump Pod. It was designed with many of the same ideas in mind as the Hopper. Mr. Smith's page, which has lot of other Traveller goodies, can be found at:

http://users.hartwick.edu/smithw/traveller.htm

Have fun!

Sincerely,
Larsen

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Mr. Hopper,

Great idea and great design. I especially like the idea of each desing exhibiting an individual 'crankiness' of some sort. The PCs' ship should be a NPC.

You all may like to check out Walt Smith's excellent 100 dTon Jump Pod. It was designed with many of the same ideas in mind as the Hopper. Mr. Smith's page, which has lot of other Traveller goodies, can be found at:

http://users.hartwick.edu/smithw/traveller.htm

Have fun!

Sincerely,
Larsen
Hey, this is great! I have never been to that site before and I really like the CT Jump Pod (I've tried,but haven't been able to get the design right for a CT version). Thanks for the head's up!

You do realize that this ship needs to look like a Pickup Truck, right?

Off to fiddle with deckplans, including the location of the back windows (for the gunrack, of course).

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
You do realize that this ship needs to look like a Pickup Truck, right?

Actually, I designed the Outrigger along the lines of the 3-wheeled pickups that I saw in Singapore and Thailand. So, you're not far off at all.

It ain't sexy in any sense:

TypeW.gif

but it is RORO, and has a couple good walls for a gunrack. I figure this version doesn't do retractable landing gear, being an unstreamlined design. It has permanently mounted skids.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to make it a prettier ride, but that wasn't the point of the design.

edit: I've adjusted the plans to the correct living arrangements. The "2" in the volume breakdown above kept scanning as two small cabins...

Originally posted by Jeff M. Hopper:
[Hey, this is great! I have never been to that site before and I really like the CT Jump Pod (I've tried,but haven't been able to get the design right for a CT version). Thanks for the head's up!
Jeff,

It sure is good, isn't it? Mr. Smith has shared some damn good stuff with the rest of us over the years. Check out his High Guard battle reports too. The fellows over at 'ct-starships' would love for him to write some more (hint, hint, Walt!)

Check out his 600dTon Sextant explorer. Walt asked for comments, gripes, ideas on its use, etc. over on the TML. I'd be happy to forward any comments you might want him to have.

Sincerely,
Bill

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:

Check out his 600dTon Sextant explorer. Walt asked for comments, gripes, ideas on its use, etc. over on the TML. I'd be happy to forward any comments you might want him to have.

Sincerely,
Bill
Sure, it'd be a pleasure to look at Walt's design, although I doubt that I could add anything to it. I thank you for the offer, but I'm already on the TML as jeff37923 (I was asking about jumping near-c rocks a little while ago, I'll go wave 'Hello' to you over there).

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
It ain't sexy in any sense:

Oh, yes it is! It is sexy like a John Deer tractor is sexy, your deckplan has functional elegance which is what the design was aiming for.

With it being RORO, I could see this version being used on airless worlds larger than asteroids like lunar-type settlements.

Egapillar mentioned that he might be interested in modelling this as well and I'd like to see his version. I'm a big believer in there being several different deckplans for the same ship design to reflect the changes the design has gone through over the centuries, which would mainly be cosmetic if the stats remain the same.

It could also see use next to the Modular Cutter as an out-system "truck", as a LOT of those cold rock balls are airless. Sure, a thrice-converted and paid-off Seeker is still going to be more common, but this one is already up on blocks...

Back