• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Pop Songs...

ld80062

SOC-9
I was listening to an *old* collection of pop songs, and I came across a Paul Simon tune that seems very appropriate to Traveller:
"Boy in the Bubble". Listen to it sometime, and see if you agree with me. Here are the lyrics...

It was a slow day
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road
There was a bright light
A shattering of shop windows
The bomb in the baby carriage
Was wired to the radio
These are the days of miracle and wonder
This is the long distance call
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all
The way we look to a distant constellation
That's dying in a corner of the sky
And don't cry baby, don't cry
Don't cry

It was a dry wind
And it swept across the desert
And it curled into the circle of birth
And the dead sand
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth
Don't cry

It's a turn-around jump shot
It's everybody jump start
It's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts
Medicine is magical and magical is art
The Boy in the Bubble
And the baby with the baboon heart

And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle
Lasers in the jungle somewhere
Staccato signals of constant information
A loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires and baby
Don't cry

The Traveller would recognize the intensive use to technology (esp. it's military applications), distant constellations, and that famous 'loose affiliation of 'millionaires and billionares'

(Personally, I like to add '...and babies' to the quote. Makes things more unexpected, and emphasises the role of family in the Imperium)

I especially like the emphasis on Miracle and Wonder - and, considering how violent the Imperial universe is, the need not to cry.

Other interesting (if ancient) pop songs, from the top of my head:
* The Sound of Silence: a great place to drop off your scouts!
* Mother and Child reunion: Aliens!
* Joni Mitchell's _Woodstock_: You know, "We are stardust". You can make up a nice little culture based on that song...
* Hotel California: always good for a little horror.
* Xanadu (by Rush, I think). Also, check out the poem by Coleridge, for some interesting ideals
* Eye in the Sky (Alan Parsons Project) - for your favourite Law Level E world

any song from the original heavy metal movie...[not that awful heavy metal 2k
file_28.gif
]

*a veteran of the psychic wars*
*takin a ride(heavy metal)*
*crazy*
*radar rider*
*queen bee*
*the mob rules*

Crosby, Stills & Nash...daylight again album
*southern cross*

Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)
*Starlight*
*turn to Stone*
*big Wheels*
*Wild West HerO*
file_21.gif

all circa 1977-81 I believe..(I have the tapes, cassettes...not 8-tracks, but close)

Rush has a lot of science fiction influence in its songs. Check out side 1 of "2112" sometime. And "Red Barchetta" is based on a sci-fi short story.

Also some science fact -- "Countdown" uses actual radio traffic from a NASA shuttle mission in the background.

SF-flavoured songs used to be fairly common in the70s and 80s, but nobody seems to write lyrics with any depth these days.

Someone's gonna have to use the F-word, and it looks like it's me.

Filk.

There. Said it.

Doug Berry used to have a load of Traveller filk on his web site, but it's disappeared. This was my fave:

"During the Fifth War"

[to the tune of "After the Gold Rush", by Neil Young]

I remember when the Army forces lifted
They were sent to assist the Marines
There were shuttles flying, and parents crying,
It was a tragic scene
I can recall the Imperial flag
Blowing out towards the sea
Watching as our sons and daughters left us, to fight the Zhodani
Watching as our sons and daughters left us, to fight the Zhodani

I was lying in a public shelter, with Zhodani ships above
We were laying helter-skelter, longing for some hope or love
There was a raid warden walking 'round, a psi helmet on his head
And I thought that if the Zhos could read my mind
Then I'd rather that I was dead
Thought that if the Zhos could read my mind
Then I'd rather that I was dead

Well, I dreamed I saw the Navy starships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
There were Sunbursts flying, Zhodani dying
In their bunkers, one by one
All in a dream, all in a dream
I knew the war was won
Zhodani would no longer bask themselves in the warm rays of our sun
Zhodani would no longer bask themselves in our sun's rays....

Not just a song but the concept album "I, Robot" by Alan Parson's Project c1977 with the songs:

"I wouldn't want to be like you"
"Some other time"
"Breakdown"
"Don't let it show"
"The Voice"
"Nucleus"
"Day after day (The show must go on)"
"Total Eclipse"
"Genesis Ch 1, V 32"

Could be inspirational when designing robots for YTU. If I had to choose just one song it would have to be "Money" by the Green Lizards (IIRC). Let's one maintain proper motivation when creating megacorps and their NPC's.

I suppose Hazel O'Connor's "Eighth Day" or REM's "It’s The End Of The World As We Know It" are pretty appropriate for TNE, and for Darrians it has to be "The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades"...

I hate to be the one to say it, but there's always David Bowie's A Space Oddity...

<<<Eye in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project>>>

I don't know about this one in a Sci-Fi setting. It always reminded me of the Lord of the Rings and the Eye of Sauron.

Later,

Scout

Elton John's "Rocket Man" -- the excitement of space travel has become as boring and as routine as any 9-to-5 job. Sounds like Traveller space travel -- it's usually boring and routine.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
SF-flavoured songs used to be fairly common in the70s and 80s, but nobody seems to write lyrics with any depth these days.
There are plenty of modern songs that have 'lyrics with depth'. There just aren't many songs about Bytor and the Snow Dog or Cygnus X-1 or the Temples of Syrinx any more
. That 'fantasy story' style is definitely a 70s thing.

Anyway, I wonder if that album that was released a while back by that obscure band that ripped off Traveller wholesale (had a Vargr on the cover, IIRC? Got linked here and Hunter got rather miffed about it...) was actually remotely appropriate for Traveller musically??

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
Anyway, I wonder if that album that was released a while back by that obscure band that ripped off Traveller wholesale (had a Vargr on the cover, IIRC? Got linked here and Hunter got rather miffed about it...) was actually remotely appropriate for Traveller musically??
As far as I know its still not a licenced product. I grabbed most of the songs through a file sharing program.

As far as I can tell it sucks.

Travaller Pop. Hmmm...

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap--AC/DC
aka the 76 patrons song.

Here is the news--ELO
aka the TAS Bulletin song.

Actually, anything off of ELO's 'Time' cd/album; lots of sci-fi references.

David Bowie has been mentioned; in addition to 'Space Oddity', I liked 'Starman'.

I seem to recall Donald Fagan doing some sci-fi tunes, but I can't recall titles or album names.

Rush has been mentioned. 'Cygnus X1' is a pretty cool tune (please forgive me, I can't recall what album that was on, and I'm to lazy to get my tape out to look at it). While its not entirely sci-fi, Rush's 'Moving Pictures' album reminds me for some reason of the Solomani Rim War. Maybe my shrink can tell me why.

Now, not to leave anyone out, there is alot of post apocalyptic tunes out there for the Twilight:2k folks. My favorite TW:2k tune is Dire Straights 'Brothers in Arms'. Billy Idols 'Dead next door' works too.

More as I think of them.

The last campaign I kicked off featured a mixed crew of Solomani, Vargr, and Aslan, with a captain that was into "Ancient Classical" terran music.
During the lift from every starport, he would pipe 3 Dog Night's "Road to Shambala" through the shipwide PA.
After a while, the Vargr in the Engineering section could be heard howling out the refrain...

Every time a starship takes off, my gaming group puts on the Top Gun Anthem....

*F-14 zooms off the catapult into the sunset*

There's also a lot of great stuff from anime sountracks - who can forget the haunting opening theme music from Ghost in the Shell?

Back