• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TNE WARSHIPS

rtartis

SOC-6
Other than the BARD Pages and Missouri Archive Does anyone design low tech warships?
Preferable TL 9-13, I have some TL 12 60kton Cruiser Designs and a TL 11 80kton Heavy Cruiser under construction.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rtartis:
Other than the BARD Pages and Missouri Archive Does anyone design low tech warships?
Preferable TL 9-13, I have some TL 12 60kton Cruiser Designs and a TL 11 80kton Heavy Cruiser under construction.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've designed a few in the 1-5kton range at TL 12 using HG not TNE. Can't say that I designed many TNE ships.

------------------
Paul

I wonder what kind of background would build proper warships in TLs <11 in TNE, i mean if you recovered as far as to have the logistics to build and maintain ships in the multi kiloton regions, wouldn't you rather get to know some of the secrets of higher TLs (11-13) before you finish constructing these large ships? I think some smaller ones in the 400-800 tons range would suffice to explore enough of the area around your PE and allow salvage of enough relic technologies to reverse engineer back to a higher TL.

[confuse mode off:] in a situation where you only have to restore a high TL lost in the collapse instead of developing it on your own, these large ships would outdate faster than they could be built.

[This message has been edited by Ulf (edited 11 October 2001).]

The assumptiom is that your playing in the Post collapse Imperium. I'm Not.
My campaign is set in the Theron sector, far from the TNE Regency/RCS universe. IMU the Virus and collapse are distant rumors that have been heard about but not felt. Eventually virus may spread around the Windhorn and come from Coreward around the Zhodani Consulate ( assuming the Empress Wave leaves anything) But thats not likely at this point.

Besides some people continued the Imperial setting without the collapse or created whole area out side the "official" universe. (Banners, Star Kingdom of Swan, Etc.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Incidently any idea what to do about surface area requirements on battletenders?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on your question, If you use the external grapple and remove the rider from the total ship displacement (ie a 1000 ton vessel at 950 tons plus 50 ton craft)you use the surface area for a 950 ton ship (I'd fudge it to 1000 because i hate extra pencil work) If you use the ship plus Rider (ie. Gazelle with drop tanks) I'd use the ships Surface area and rider surface areas as seperate areas.

Now if your question is "how much surface area does a rider take from the carrier" I'd say none. If your configuration is CT/MT 7, or TNE Irregular the rider is carried on struts or pylons held away from the carrier, if you use some kind of conformal bellytobelly mount I'd use a rule of thumb measurment equal to a bay of the same length as the rider.

Well, if you take a look at your handy dandy copy of Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium (FSSI) you'll see that Battle Riders are carried internally (page 29).

How? The Riders are only 30,000 D and the Tenders are a humongous 500,000 D. They carry only 3 or 6, depending on the model. (You can take a look at the Battle Rider (BR) game for another idea; it looks like the FSSI ships were translated, sort of.)

Now I usually have my Riders in the 75,000 D range myself, and I join 4 of them to a 150,000 D Tender, but I haven't actually designed such things with any Traveller variant, so don't go screaming to me that my numbers are impossible...

Perhaps you're refering to the surface area requirement for grapples? Well, one cure is to use internal hangers, the other is to use USL grapples. If you refuel, you have to either use a fuel shuttle or detach the Riders.

------------------
"This is a spaceship! Why did you throw that grenade here?"
"I was just trying to get the bad guys."
"Uh guys,..."
BOOOMM!

Maybe Fsosi used internal hangars, but where was that in MT or CT. Both used Config 7 with external riders, The Lurenti class carrier form the "Spinward Marches Campaign, Pg 35" Is Config 7. Supplement 8 Library Data A-M Page 15-16 States "The Battle Tender is little more than a large dispersed structure with jump drives." , The World class tender on page sixteen shows a 300kton Tender with 5 Riders, looks like external mounts to me.
The description of the BattleTender from page 17 says, "Generally a dispersed structure".
FSOSI was a MT book, lets look at the rules. Referees manual Page 60 Launch Facilities:
"Launch facilities must be provided for all ships and craft carried. Such facilities are automatic with irregular structures (configuration 7), and all craft may be launched in one turn. Ordinary launch facilities allow one craft to be launched per turn".
Page 82 Section 10: "Irregular configuration craft (UCP configuration 7) are an exception to volume requirements: they can carry subordinate craft on there exterior with no extra volume requiremnts."

If I'm reading the rules right the FSOSI tender takes three turns (90 minutes) to launch her riders, while the World-class tender launches 5 riders in one turn. This is the same as the High Guard rules on page 32. It's obvious the rules favor config 7 Tenders, It allows smaller tenders to carry larger riders OR more riders in the same volume. Of course with TNE this changed, since External Grapples launch all craft in one turn, Configuration is a less important consideration.

Back to my original Questions: LOW TECH SHIPS. (Thank you Peter Gray). I'd like to see more Designs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rtartis:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my pages at Downport you can find a number of designs for the interstellar war period (TL10-11) done for FFS2. With my HGS program you can find another group done under HG2 rules.

Back