• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Templates...

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Hi Everybody!

Does anyone know what I would need to change to use a Template from the D&D Monster Manual in a Traveller setting? (Just in case you don't know, a Template is like the process of turning a person into a Vampire or something similar. Basically a d20 GM tool.) Maybe is there a d20 supplement or something that could guide me through designing a Template? Is there anyway one of the designers might be able to help me with this?

Any help would be great!

Scout

There isn't really a specific one. I could probably create one for D&D, but I don't know what's needed to port it over to T20. Differences like Hit Points vs. Lifeblood/Stamina or AC vs. Defense are two examples. I could swear I saw that there was some document or something to create Templates.

Thanks!

Scout

If you are referring to T20 stats:

HP to Stamina/Lifeblood, AC to AR/AC, change or drop any magical abilities (or just rename them). There is a list of animal abilities in the t20 book. I would suggest you also take a look at the article "How to Create a Monster" http://www.enworld.org/cc/downloads/index.php noting the errata. That site also has a lot of converted monsters from pre-3E d&d to d20.

Offhand I don't remember anything on how to create a template specificially but taking a representative creature and then jotting down specific stats and such that make it a ghoul or whatnot should work without too much fuss.

Hmmm, perhaps I should find my Vilani Cult of the Dead notes again. (nod to Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun)

The stock d20 templates are in the various core d20 SRD documents (likely each one has some different). Anime and Mecha d20 may have some templates and more rules/ideas but I can't remember at the moment. I don't know if SWd20 has any but it would be closer to T20 stat wise. There are some template pdf or book products as well.

Casey

Hey Casey,

Thanks for the link! If you find those Cult of the Dead notes, could you shoot them my way? Sounds interesting...

Later,

Scout

Back