• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 and 2300AD

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
I had a thought. T5 is somewhat open to ignoring or tromping on canon under certain circumstances... could this open up a window of opportunity?

What would happen if the whole Vilani contact and Interstellar wars thing were shifted forward, say, from 2100 AD to 2350 AD?

I wonder what it would 'break'. It might make it slightly more believeable that the Terrans could topple the Ziru Sirka if they already controlled a couple dozen worlds. Any thoughts?

It depends what gets retconned onto what.

The FTL drive is the real kicker. Take it away from 2300AD, and that history breaks open. Or, at least, the whole flavor of it breaks open. I don't think that Jump Drives can easily replace the Sutterwarp and still keep the same capabilities.

Part of the history of, what was it, the American Arm? Part of it's history was that exploration by stutterwarp along its extent was reaching (or had reached) the 7.7ly limit (and while at least one bypass method was introduced, it's implications were really dealt with in the materials I owned.

And I believe, in the proverbial snowball's chance that it is allowed to become the early OTU history, that it would be current OTU tech that would be retconned onto 2300AD, and not the other way around.

Besides, with 2320AD coming out, and not being a part of the OTU, I think that any attempt to combine the two milieus would be a seriously damaging marketing error, one that would confuse the majority of potential buyers of both 2320AD and T5. (Even more so than the original Traveller 2300 title; which, for some odd reason, never did confuse me, as I read the ads and promo materials that differentiated it from Traveller . . . sometimes you just have to pay attention . . . whoops, did I call for people to pay attention? Bad, bad, bad Chris! No donut!).

I'd rather keep 2300AD and T5 as far apart as possible, thank you very much ;)

I've seen Andy's work. It's great.

But that doesn't mean FFE (T5), and/or QLI (T20/2320AD) should be messing around with trying to combine the two milieus.

I'm not saying the idea isn't cool, I'm saying it would be a mistake from a marketing and sales perspective. It would create unnecessary confusion and uncertainty in the customer base.

Not to mention being difficult for FLGSs to explain to customers successfully.

Greetings and salutations,

I would have to agree with RainOfSteel. If you combine the two games
</font>
  • it would create confusion amongst the players (old and new)</font>
  • The people who have already played either game or both may not accept the merging of the two milieus no matter how interesting it would make things</font>
Along with retconning OTU tech onto 2300AD, how would the alien species in 2300AD be resolved. Would they survive into the OTU or would they get cut?

Like Malenfant said, "I'd rather keep 2300AD and T5 as far apart as possible, thank you very much"

When T2300 first appeared most people thought it was an historical setting for CT - there are still revues out there that make this mistake.

There were a lot of unhappy people who discovered that T2300 and CT had no connection at all - me included.

Solution - rewrite CT history to join T2000 - T2300 to CT and problems be damned.

Having the Kafers to spinward/rimward of the Solomani, and also bordering the Aslan, has produced some interesting scenarios over the years ;)

And the pentapod are just too good an alien race not to use in CT
file_23.gif

Greetings and salutations,

As someone put it to me recently, the Pentapods are the Hivers of T2300 and 2300AD. Perchance the Pentapods are offshoots of the Hivers. Or visa versa. The same can be said of the Sung and Droyne.

The Kafers and the Aslan at war with each other would be interesting. Hmm...

I don't know, I think that with the changes in the 2300 timeline as exist in the pt drafts, there are more pontentially interesting bits than before. The intellectual "theft" of the Jump drive from the Vilani could be an interesting adventure in it's own right as well as changing the dynamic of the technical situation. Especially if no-one back home can understand how important it is untill the theory that allows J3 (and potentially much higher) is develloped... :eek: ) I can see this idea working rather better now (with GT:IW and 2320AD both available) than it would have a few years ago.

Pentapod's vs Grandfather... Mmm Yummy bit of metaplot there. And I could see reserves keeping several worlds of Kafer's alive and kicking, just in case... :D

Now, an OTU that molests both the IW and 2300 this totally should be kept thousands of miles away from that festering disaster that T5 is shaping up to be, but that doesn't mean that the idea must be ignored.

William

My response is thus

When T2300 first appeared most people thought it was an historical setting for CT - there are still revues out there that make this mistake.

There were a lot of unhappy people who discovered that T2300 and CT had no connection at all - me included.

Solution - rewrite CT history to join T2000 - T2300 to CT and problems be damned.

Having the Kafers to spinward/rimward of the Solomani, and also bordering the Aslan, has produced some interesting scenarios over the years

And the pentapod are just too good an alien race not to use in CT
and amen brotha!!!

Pentapod vs Grandfather...

consider that one stolen for future use.

It'd also be interesting if the Terrans used Kafer "mercs" against the Vilani...

Yep, they could be the result of An Ancient's experimenting (either Grandfather or one of his offspring).

To have the pentapod "gods" as a species competing with the Ancients - think Cthulhu mythos Old Ones versus Elder Gods ;)

The big lurking thing on the bottom of Pentapod ocean is from an old JTAS adventure...can't recall the name but it dealt with a Zhodani invasion of a seabase...

I would rather think the psionic plant that warns of "The Enemy" might know something of Grandfather & the precusor races.

Back