• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Strange government codes?

The Downport.com write-up for Promise (Diaspora L) subsector (link) has strange government codes P, R, S and T in the UWPs that don't match those in the New Era data for the subsector as presented in Path of Tears p.98. What's going on here?

Those are the secret government codes that... Oh, you thought you could fool me into revealing those codes, did you? Hah!

Er... Sorry I couldn't help, so I thought I'd make you laugh.

Dameon

Those codes are PROBABLY non-human government types.

I don't have them to hand. They were used in CT alien modules.

That's done it Aramis

Now that you say that I have some of those handy in my SMC. So it is CT and may not apply to TNE but...

P = Small Station or Facility (K'Kree)
R = Steppelord On-world Rule (K'Kree)

Sorry, nothing for S and T in SMC, might be Vargr types which are (oddly) not listed while the K'Kree (several sectors distant) are. But then the page is titled as "Second Survey - Data Forms and Explanations (Draft) - IISS". It references the CT Alien modules, Scouts LBB6, and The Traveller Book.

So it does. But only Hivers and Darrians are not referenced it seems. I had never noticed that while it is copyright '85 it includes reference to AMs 1-6 and lists 6 as copyright '86. Curious no? Must have been some early draft of it.

Hmmm.

I think those codes may be from the 'Galactic' program by Jim Vassilakos. TNE reused goverment code numerals and assigned them to New Era government types. This would be pretty hard to code for, so the New Era governments were given new codes.

http://www.cruzan.info/jimv/jimv.html Has links to download the program. You can probably find the exact meaning of the new codes if you run the program and look for a help file.

Starviking

Originally posted by Starviking:
Hmmm.

I think those codes may be from the 'Galactic' program by Jim Vassilakos. TNE reused goverment code numerals and assigned them to New Era government types. This would be pretty hard to code for, so the New Era governments were given new codes.

http://www.cruzan.info/jimv/jimv.html Has links to download the program. You can probably find the exact meaning of the new codes if you run the program and look for a help file.

Starviking
This looks most likely to be it, considering that the worlds in question are all human. Cheers - will check it out.

UWP Code Type
0 Anarchy
1 Tribal/Clan
5 Feudal Technocracy
6 Captive Government
7 Balkanized
A Charismatic Dictator
B Non-Charismatic Leader
C Charismatic Oligarchy
D Religious/Mystical Dictatorship
M Military Dictatorship or Junta
Q Interim Government
S Slave World
T Technologically Elevated Dictator
V Viral Hell

Those help? (Source: TNE1248

Well, it is BARD, so take it with a grain of salt, anyway.

It can't be the 1248 codes, because that had to have been created long before 1248 ever got moving.

It can't be alien codes, because it is former Lucan Imperial territory. Those all used human codes. (Except for any random Droyne world which may or may not be present.)

TNE did introduce two sets of government codes. One set was the traditional set, to be used in established areas (e.g. RC, Regency). The other set was to be used in the Wilds. However, I thought the Wilds codes use the traditional range, too.

(BTW, the "B" travel zone means the world is balkanized, like the traditional government code 7. The government code shows the government code of the primary country on the world.)

Also, did you check other BARD pages, or any of the top level stuff? It might explain any non-standard stuff that is being used.

Back