• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Size Modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBoyett

SOC-14 1K
The size modifiers for the standard starships and smallcraft do not match the Size Modifiers to Attack Bonus and Armor Class table found on page 148. The designs give medium size vessels a +0 and the small ones a +1. Yet based on the 4th column, titled Starships and Smallcraft Tonnage, the modifiers are -8 and -4 respectively.

Is there a different scale when handling starship combat?

Yes they are a different scale.

If you were shooting your autopistol at a far trader (assuming the closest bit of the far trader is within range) then you would use the chart on p148

It's a barn door(AC2 - you miss only on a 1!) - but the effective AR of 10 is going to reduce your damage to d10-10.(which makes hurting the far trader fairly unlikely)

So those ships (at that scale) are Gargantuan or collosal

Basically, combat works best if you adjudicate your "normal sized" thing to be size medium. Luckily there are only really two scales in t20. If you were doing a "mecha" version of the rules, then work out a "medium" sized mech and base mech combat on that.

At least that's my understanding.

Originally posted by The Mink:
Yes they are a different scale.

If you were shooting your autopistol at a far trader (assuming the closest bit of the far trader is within range) then you would use the chart on p148

It's a barn door(AC2 - you miss only on a 1!) - but the effective AR of 10 is going to reduce your damage to d10-10.(which makes hurting the far trader fairly unlikely)

So those ships (at that scale) are Gargantuan or collosal

Basically, combat works best if you adjudicate your "normal sized" thing to be size medium. Luckily there are only really two scales in t20. If you were doing a "mecha" version of the rules, then work out a "medium" sized mech and base mech combat on that.

At least that's my understanding.
Thanks I had feeling that was the case. I wish they give the space combat scaling, or should I use the scaling found in Star Wars D20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back