• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Computers and Software

Programs require a number of PP to run. Yet Starship Computers don't have PP available listed. They have a two part free CPU output instead. The first number being higher than the second.

What does all that mean? What software can I run on the ship's computer? What software am I required to run on the ship's computer? What are the two numbers in CPU output? (They aren't mentioned anywhere in the computer text for a starship.) Where do I find the answers?

The first number is the total processing power, the second is the maximum amount that can be applied to one program.
Explained on page 225 TTHB.

Posted by Sigg Oddra:
The first number is the total processing power, the second is the maximum amount that can be applied to one program.
Explained on page 225 TTHB.
Sigg the bit on page 225 doesn't mate nicely with the chart on 264. (I only have 2nd Printing of the THB.
)

If that is the way to read that Free PP column then not one of the computers can run the software required to Jump. Even a Jump-1 requires 23 PP. The Largest number after the slash on the free cpu column is 14.

So it is definitely errata either way.

Yep, saw another post that mistakenly stated the Total PP/Maximum PP rule on page 225. The Maximum PP applies only to skill based programs, i.e. (Auto)Pilot-7 would require at least a Maximum PP of 7.

Is the Jump program a skill based program?
If not the full PP can be used - which does allow the jump program to be run.

By the way, which ones are skill based programs - are they the ones that grant a bonus to a skill use?

I agree that the rules are less than clear.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Yep, saw another post that mistakenly stated the Total PP/Maximum PP rule on page 225. The Maximum PP applies only to skill based programs, i.e. (Auto)Pilot-7 would require at least a Maximum PP of 7.
Skill and Personality are the only two programs that can actually use more than 6PP besides the Jump Programs. And neither of those are all that important for starship operations. Though you could take the Model 5 computer on a Mercenary Cruiser and max out the gunnery skill program, you wouldn't need to carry gunners anymore. Otherwise there is no point. The only question is how much you can carry while you are running the Jump software at that time. There is no rule for how long it takes to swap out software either.

It appears to me that the computer/software section needs either serious clarification or to accomplish the same results as LBB2 a serious rewrite.

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Or just stick with LBB2 ;)
BRILLIANT! ;) </font>[/QUOTE]As close to a quick fix as I can find.

I agree, BRILLIANT!

But doesn't fix the need for it to be fixed in the THB for those of the newbies that don't have or want the CT books.

Originally posted by Bhoins:
But doesn't fix the need for it to be fixed in the THB for those of the newbies that don't have or want the CT books.
Again a fair point, and so perhaps I'll type up my thoughts on it. And then once again take up the cause and post questions about the errors and omissions in hopes that they are corrected and the errata is updated. Or not, it all depends on my time and mood, and both are low at the moment.

Back