• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Standard Cabins/Freshers

vutpakdi

SOC-13
I was thinking a bit about deckplans last night, and it occurred to me that most cabins are probably prefabricated modules which can be snapped into place as needed during construction.

With that thought in mind, I created a few possible prefab units created by some by megacorp...

A standard, passenger cabin:

StandardCabin.gif

This cabin is a prefab unit that actually combines the standard prefab crew cabin with a prefab fresher unit. The door may be mounted on either the "north" or "east" sides of the unit. The beds are attached to the "south" wall and may be lowered or raised by the occupant:

Single Occupancy
BunkBeds2.gif
Double Occupancy
BunkBeds1.gif

Both beds may be raised to the ceiling if desired.

The brown rectangles are a closet and desk unit. The circles are chairs. All furnishings may be secured to the floor. The cabin includes its own controls for atmosphere density/mix and gravity. These controls may be disabled by the ship's computer to avoid allowing the occupant to harm himself/herself.

This unit is the standard crew cabin:
CrewCabin.gif

Finally, a prefab fresher unit is available in two configurations:
Fresher1.gif
Fresher2.gif

The fresher unit contains its own water recycling/purification/storage unit (the gray areas in the picture).

What do you think?

Ron

Looks good. Unfortunately, effective cost saving designs can be dull. You have created the Holiday Inn room of space travel! ;) It is very well thought out. Establish a price reduction for using a standard design an you are done.

I was under the impression that the 'fresher' was a combination toilet and shower unit to save space. Is that correct? If that's the case, these would be luxery accomidations for the size.

Rob

Are these 1m squares? The furniture and facilities seem a little big for standard 1.5 m squares. (Example, the bed would be nearly 5 ft by 10 ft.)

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Are these 1m squares? The furniture and facilities seem a little big for standard 1.5 m squares. (Example, the bed would be nearly 5 ft by 10 ft.)
Maybe he has something else inmind other than sleeping?
Ok I should have put this over in "My Kind of Woman"
file_21.gif

I have not drawn them so nicely, but in MTU a fresher is an all-in-one space that handles all the washing and hygiene functions in a waterproof closet. I would think that this would be a standard precaution in the event artificial gravity was lost.

The waterproof closet would have a vacuum suction and warm-blast-dry function to scavenge all possible dihydrogen oxide from the space within, which is also usable at any time as a drying mechanism to prevent the accumulation of wet towels in the ship, with the added bonus of being better for your skin : )

I think standard cabin plans are a usefull planning tool, but they aren't easy to fit in a smallish ship. They now use prefab cabins in the larger cruise liners, 100,000 ton ships with 1200 cabins.

Here are a couple of cabins from the Radisson cruise lines. First a deluxe cabin, 30 m2 with a 6 m2 verranda. (6+1.2 Dton)
pg_deluxe.jpg

Then a standard cabin with either windows or portholes, 20 m2 (4 Dton)
pg_window.jpg

By contrast, this is a "planning cabin" for CPOs in the US Navy's new LPD-17 class. Seems to sleep 6 in about 4Dton
cpoberth.gif

Notice these are sleeping and hygiene units only. Mess, lounge and recreation are seperate

does any one have a picture of sleeping ares on the space lab?? or the old Sky lab or the russian space station???.....how about a pictur of the toilet????

Actually those Radisson cruise lines plans are an interesting way of doing things. They pose an excellent balance. They retain the simple black and white line art that many prefer on deckplans but being very slightly offset also allow a sense of depth and allow the artist to be a bit more creative and illustrative than simply sticking down icons. This is a style I may very well adopt myself.

hmmm.....

Scarecrow

Remember 4Dt per stateroom - it doesn;t mean 4dt staterooms - Each stateroom is probably roughly 2dt - The rest is taken up in lounges, coridoors, gyms, Dance halls, armouries etc etc etc.

so the above example of a 4dT stateroom sleeping 6 is reasonable - but remember to put in other stuff to bring the total up.

Well the double occupancy 4 ton stateroom kinda goes the other way, and when you figure in the entertainment spaces you get 6Dton for ordinary rooms up to 8+ Dton for the deluxe cabins.

Or I have been figuring that a nuclear sub has about 6 bunks per Dton. Figuring in mess space and hygeine it works out to between 2-4 crew per Dton. CPOs and officers have it better, but still about 1 Dton/officer total, including wardroom & hygeine.

IIRC, Skylab had a 1Dton space with 3 sleeping bags hung "vertically" on the wall. The toilet was in a slightly smaller compartment, the shower was in the "wardroom" but collapsed when not in use. The "wardroom" was the biggest space on the lower deck and used for most work, as well as eating, about 2-2.5 Dton.

Traveller's 4 Dton/cabin rule, like the 1 hardpoint/100 ton rule, is an approximation to avoid juggling all the variables.

I think standard cabin plans are a usefull planning tool, but they aren't easy to fit in a smallish ship. They now use prefab cabins in the larger cruise liners, 100,000 ton ships with 1200 cabins.
Thanks for the posting. I took a look at the various ships and layouts. What I find interesting is that on some vessels alot of the standard low-end staterooms have baconies or sunrooms.

Ocean liners have really evolved in the last 100 years. Alot now have large atrium/galleria areas!

Originally posted by George Boyett:
Thanks for the posting. I took a look at the various ships and layouts. What I find interesting is that on some vessels alot of the standard low-end staterooms have baconies or sunrooms.
I was going to do some slavish copying, then I thought, "Do I really want a picture window to jump space?"

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George Boyett:
I was going to do some slavish copying, then I thought, "Do I really want a picture window to jump space?"</font>[/QUOTE]In several starship descriptions. The passenger staterooms had shutters that close during jump and project scenes. In writeup of a yacht I created the shutters project images of the open sea, in keeping with the ocean liner motif of the yacht. I could see a similar arrangements for sunrooms.

What I have actually done is put a large display screen in each cabin (one whole way in luxury staterooms). This is a HDTV++ display that can show a beach, a meadow, movies, a video conference, or the feed from the external sensors. Better than a picture window and it doesn't need shutters that might not close...

Thank for the feedback. Once life eases up a bit, I'll post some modified designs, and maybe some notes on the interior furnishings too.

Ron

What I have actually done is put a large display screen in each cabin (one whole way in luxury staterooms). This is a HDTV++ display that can show a beach, a meadow, movies, a video conference, or the feed from the external sensors. Better than a picture window and it doesn't need shutters that might not close...
I've done that in describing well furnished staterooms before. I've even use the vid wall concept that was in the beginning of the movie Total Recall.

I still think some people would still want the added luxury of actual windows when they are in a system for viewing planets and other objects. Not to mention the option to sunbathing in space. :cool: ;)

Ron, you inpired me. I was playing around with a "Second Class" or crew cabin and this is what I came up with. 2 Dton per double-occupancy cabin, including 'fresher (I use the term istead of NASA's "Hygeine space").

2class.jpg

Water recycling is in the overhead.

The funny bunks are based on the US Navy's new "Sit-up berths" with allow sailors (or Marines) to read in bed, write letters, mine even have a fold-up computer terminal.

situp.jpeg

Ah, so that's what is meant by as 'fresher. *Cough-caugh* years ago I went from Pittsburgh to Boston by train in an old pullman car. We had a fold-down sink and toilet in the room, just like that. I was only 5-6, and I remember it as really neat overnight, but short on privacy (not a problem for the 'fresher).

Back