• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Spacecraft Atmospheric Speed

NDS

SOC-9
just wondering if anyone knows were I can find out how to calculate atmospheric speed for starships/small craft if they are not an airframe in the T20 rules.

Evening NDS,

I maybe off base, but anyway here is my thinking. In THB on page 261 under Design Sequences/Hull Streamlining/Streamlined/last sentence: "In anatmosphere a streamlined ship's top speed is 2-G." Looking at the Airframe Atmospheric Speeds Table the 2-G row lists 3 speeds. I would use these for the speeds, at least until someone comes up with a better system.

Correct. A streamlined starship or small craft would have a max speed of 2G and a partially streamlined vessel could only do 1G. Use these speeds on the Airframe Atmospheric Speeds table (page 261) to get their actual speed in kph.

Hunter

Correct. A streamlined starship or small craft would have a max speed of 2G and a partially streamlined vessel could only do 1G. Use these speeds on the Airframe Atmospheric Speeds table (page 261) to get their actual speed in kph.

OK, that's what I thought, but then I looked at the standard designs and the speeds don't match. All smallcraft have speeds of 200/275/375 (Cruising/NoE/Max) and on the table(page 261) the speeds are 1G:2625/875/3500 & 2G:3525/1175/4700 and out of the starships I looked at, only the speeds listed under the SDB (which is an airframe) matches.

Is there some ship size factor that needs to be taken into account, or perhaps a factor based on hull shape?

-Roger

Back