• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Soc - 12

So I just noticed the new ranking system and found myself to now be a Baron.

Woo-Hoo!

I'd have thought there was some form of ceremony attendant with investiture but perhaps Strephon is to busy at the moment.

Anyway, has anybody made it to Duke?

...unless they're using some pernicious d20-based scale, in which case we're just a couple of middle-classers with delusions of grandeur. But until I hear otherwise, I'm going to start refering to myself as "T. hault Foster"

well actually we are using the Social system from T20. 15 is an untitled noble, 16+ is a titled noble. There are currently no nobles at CotI yet aside from the 'Ancients'

16 - Knight, Knightess, Dame
18 - Baron, Baroness, Baronet
20 - Marquis, Marquesa, Marchioness
22 - Count, Countess
24 - Duke, Duchess
26 - Archduke, Archduchess
28 - Crown Prince, Crown Princess
30 - Emperor

Obviously Marc Miller holds the title of Emperor.

Hunter

To explain a little more how the SOC thing is going to work:

Everyone has a Sociability point total that is accumulated through various means, such as posting messages here on the forums (1 point each), contributing to the Library Data system, contributing TAS News Bulletins, or writing features or full articles for the website.

Sociability
-> SOC Score
00 - SOC-1
03 - SOC-2
05 - SOC-3
07 - SOC-4
09 - SOC-5
11 - SOC-6
16 - SOC-7
21 - SOC-8
26 - SOC-9
31 - SOC-10
51 - SOC-11
101 - SOC-12
501 - SOC-13
1001 - SOC-14

Hunter

DaveShayne: " So I just noticed the new ranking system and found myself to now be a Baron."

hunter: "well actually we are using the Social system from T20."

I prefer David's view.
A Traveller Social Standing level of 12 (C) has always indicated Baronial status.

- Baron Wendell von M :D

Originally posted by WendellM:
DaveShayne: " So I just noticed the new ranking system and found myself to now be a Baron."

hunter: "well actually we are using the Social system from T20."

I prefer David's view.
A Traveller Social Standing level of 12 (C) has always indicated Baronial status.

- Baron Wendell von M :D
Ah yes, well you can be a pretender, but you won't get the land grants that will go with an authentic patent of nobility! :D

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:

Everyone has a Sociability point total....

<snip>

1001 - SOC-14

<snip>

So following the logic of the chart it'll take at least 2001 (and more likely 4001 or more) points to make it to Knight. I now have just under 250 after about a years worth of reasonably steady posting. At this rate I should get the sword to the shoulder sometime in 2018. :(

I'm thinking this is a goal I won't even bother trying for.

Originally posted by DaveShayne:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hunter:

Everyone has a Sociability point total....

<snip>

1001 - SOC-14

<snip>

So following the logic of the chart it'll take at least 2001 (and more likely 4001 or more) points to make it to Knight. I now have just under 250 after about a years worth of reasonably steady posting. At this rate I should get the sword to the shoulder sometime in 2018. :(

I'm thinking this is a goal I won't even bother trying for.
</font>[/QUOTE]LOL! I only have a bit over 2000 and I run the place! Don't worry too much, there will be other ways to earn Sociability points and earn noble titles. That's the whole point. Contributions to the Library Data system, TAS News Bulletins, articles, and other ways will be available as ways to earn more sociability. The idea is to encourage active involvement.

Having a SOC-13, 14, or even higher wouldn't mean much if everyone could easily obtain it, now would it?

Hunter

talking about rank?? here i am a lowly SOC11 whats that? some lowly NCO (again) do i have to
shovel the nobles h----s--- OR peel spuds?? or keep the fridge full of havacola,or swab decks or make bunks, be an engine room lacky. or say yes sir or no sir to ranking vargr. life can be a real
bummer!!! or do i have to cook for this crew?? OR
do i have to scrub out the freshers??? who the
h--- thought this one up!!!
:D ;)
:cool: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by trader jim:
talking about rank?? here i am a lowly SOC11 whats that? some lowly NCO (again) do i have to
shovel the nobles h----s--- OR peel spuds?? or keep the fridge full of havacola,or swab decks or make bunks, be an engine room lacky. or say yes sir or no sir to ranking vargr. life can be a real
bummer!!! or do i have to cook for this crew?? OR
do i have to scrub out the freshers??? who the
h--- thought this one up!!!
Hmmm, might have to give thought to adding unsociability penalties....

Hunter

down with the nobles!! let them eat cake!!
equality now!! dont tread on me!!! we shall overcome!! dont fire till you see the whites of their eyes!! join the underground now!!! and all the rest of the sayings.. STEPHON is the only noble!!!

Originally posted by trader jim:
down with the nobles!! let them eat cake!!
equality now!! dont tread on me!!! we shall overcome!! dont fire till you see the whites of their eyes!! join the underground now!!! and all the rest of the sayings.. STEPHON is the only noble!!!
Ah but you see, we will win in the end! The more you post the greater your sociability grows! Eventually you will be assimilated...we are the Noble...we will add...oh hell wrong universe.
:D

Hunter

Originally posted by BenBell:
Do we get extra social points if we do writing for the T20 books?
Yep we plan to tie it all in. If you write for any of the line we publish Traveller-wise we plan to give you extra sociability points. You are contributing to the betterment of Traveller. Doesn't have to be for T20 either. GURPS authors and contributors, or any other licensee that may come up for Traveller will get similar bonuses to their sociability if they are also members here.

I will note that the current plan is that with any award of a noble title, the receipient will also receive a 'land grant' or fief on one of the worlds in the Imperium (Gateway Domain only currently). All grants will be exclusive, which means that their won't be more than one of any given rank of noble to any given world. If you are the Baron of Mayberry RFD, there will be no one else ever given that title.

We haven't worked out all of the details and necessary scripts yet, but things should been happening pretty soon.

Hunter

LOL! I only have a bit over 2000 and I run the place! Don't worry too much, there will be other ways to earn Sociability points and earn noble titles. That's the whole point. Contributions to the Library Data system, TAS News Bulletins, articles, and other ways will be available as ways to earn more sociability. The idea is to encourage active involvement.

Having a SOC-13, 14, or even higher wouldn't mean much if everyone could easily obtain it, now would it?

Hunter
I suppose not. I still doubt it's going to be something I'll follow much or care about. I'm already putting about as much time and effort into this community as I care to. There are other Traveller sites I frequent and other more general game sites that also have demands on my attention. And then there's work that must be done in order to pay the rent and of course if I still have some free time I might get one of those newfangled "life" things everybody talks about.

I will note that the current plan is that with any award of a noble title, the receipient will also receive a 'land grant' or fief on one of the worlds in the Imperium (Gateway Domain only currently).
Sweet, so someday I can be a baron on my own personal airless 4km rock? I gotta start planning it now. Maybe I should hire a construction company early? We can sell pet asteroids to traders who'll in turn sell them to primitive societies.

Lessee, a few hangers for up to 500t ships here, a secret corsair hanger there....

RV

to the rabid vargr ooooooooooo are you gonna get it!!!! this is going to be so bad HUNTER going to have to break it up!!! i try to be nice and i called the other one off!!! thats not good enough
for you!! you try to start something new!! thats not fair!! here i am a lowly soc11 with only 3 votes and one star!!! and in trouble because i have a mouth!!! i gess i never will be a noble!!!
well that just OK with me!!! you salivating - drooling - foul breathed - one eyed - one eared-
FAT - dog - ill be back later with some more!!!
and clean your own ASLAN box!!!!
;)
:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Back