• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Setting implications of the Prior Service Table

Agemegos

SOC-12
G'day

The Prior Service Table on p. 14 of Book One Characters and Combat seems to encode some assumptions about the setting of a Traveller game, and I wonder whether anyone has analysed them the way that so much else about Traveller has been analysed. I'd be very interested in an event tree analysis or a Monte Carlo analysis of the Book One character generation system (or of the later ones, though they are much more complicated). Does anyone know where I can find such results?

For example, the Navy recruits geeks and especially swots, and loves geeky swots. But it doesn't make them officers. It commissions toffs. Although social connections will get you into the officer corps, it is education that gets you promoted. Also, the Navy is the noble-factory par excellence. It's the only service with + Soc in its Acquired skill table and the only service with +Soc among its automatic skills (there are rarely achieved, but other services give none), and it gives as much +2 as any and more than most in its mustering-out benefits. Obviously the Navy is the outfit most connected with the ruling class. The power of influence is limited, though. It'll get you commissioned early, and therefore give you the best chance of getting to high rank. But the recruitment boards and the promotion boards are not subject to influence. Naval life tends to kill the stupid.

The Marines recruit geeks and especially weightlifters and football linesmen. It adores brainy linesmen, who have nearly 2.6 times the chance to get into the Marines that average volunteers have. Then, it gives commissions to the guys who are were at least average at schoolwork, with no especial preference to the people who were exceptionally good. Then it promotes the officers from an upper-middle class backround or higher, with no special favour shown to the nobility. That sounds more like upper-middle-class snobbery than the action of influence. Life in the Marines is less intellectual even than the Army, and they give out better brain pills than education pills as mustering-out benefits. Life int eh Marines tends to kill the sickly and unfit.

The Army recruits almost everyone who volunteers: it rejects a few of the sickly and poorly-co-ordinated, but most even of them get in. It also commissions nearly everyone, though people who fail a physical may have their commission delayed. It then promotes people pretty steadily (and trains them in a lot of skills &c as it does), favouring people with at least average education (but no special favour to really good educations). And then it has a strong tendency to cut careers short early. The Army seems to be a strange institution, undiscriminating in its intake, it accepts everyone, commissions and promotes rapidly, trains intensely, and then sacks young. I can't tell whether it tends to produce higher-ranked and more skillful veterans, because there is a tendency each way. Army careers are much less prestigious than Navy careers, but slightly more conducive to continuing education. Army life tends to kill people who didn't finish high school (I guess they end up in the infantry).

The Scouts aren't as fussy about recruits as the Navy and Marines, though they have a preference for weightlifters and football linesmen, and a slight dislike for the actually stupid. They teach a lot of skills, and encourage continuing education and intellectual development, and they are almost always let people re-enlist until retirement age. But life in the Scouts is startlingly dangerous, killing those who are not exceedingly physically tough, and many even of the tough. All scouts are pilots, so before I read Book Six Scouts and GURPS Traveller: First In" I would have guessed that Scouts were like locaters in Vance's Oikumene: free-lance explorers wandering alone or in pairs in ships sponsored by university and real estate developers. Surviving a career in the Scouts can be lucrative, but it is not prestigious.

The Merchants recruit pretty indiscriminately, though they have a slight bias against those of less-than average strength and a stronger but still not profound bias against the stupid. The Merchants rapid commission anyone who is not stupid (and most of the stupid), but they promote only slowly, favouring only officers of considerable brainpower. Life in the merchant service promotes strength training to a degree greater than any other service, and despite the advantages of intelligence it is the least conducive to continuing education and intellectual development. I guess that merchants are more steadily busy at routine work than anyone else. Re-enlistment is almost routine, which means that long careers may counteract slow promotion and training. Life as a merchant officer is not as lucrative as the Navy, and not as prestigious even as the Army. And it tends to kill the stupid.

Other. Accepts almost anyone. Socially ruinous. Less conducive to continuing education and intellectual development than any service except the merchants. The least financially rewarding career, and far the worst for developing skills. Its Acquired Skills Table, and the fact that you have to be very bright to survive for long makes it look like a life of crime.

The big thing we deduce about the setting is that the ruling classes are associated with the Navy, a relationship in which the Navy is probably dominant (ie. the Navy is more likely to advance you in the ruling class than the ruling class is to advance you in the Navy). Any other deductions? Has anyone examined the advanced careers in books 4 to 7 in this way, and if so where can I see the results?

The Army accepting everyone and then dumping them makes sense if you consider them to be a service toward pumping up the number of people in the reserves, i.e. service and training in the army is geared toward establishing a cadre of troops that can serve as a core for a bigger army in case of an emergency, during which conscription will probably be enacted to fill out the ranks after the reserve officers and NCO's are activated.

Keep in mind also: an indeterminate number of individuals are rejected for initial enlistment; 1 of every 6 goes into the army, and is inelligible for commission that term... so...

I do think the implications are a an Army service with VERY few NCO's who are not "NCO's by choice." That is, lots of recruits, lots of draftees. Some NCO's are draftees who stayed in, hoping for a commission, but didn't get it, others are second termers... But more and more wind up commissioned... however, commission rolls are optional for the player (and thus the character isn't applying to mustang)... So the Senior NCO's are there because they typically are lifers who chose not to seek a commission.

I do think the implications are a an Army service with VERY few NCO's who are not "NCO's by choice." That is, lots of recruits, lots of draftees. Some NCO's are draftees who stayed in, hoping for a commission, but didn't get it, others are second termers... But more and more wind up commissioned... however, commission rolls are optional for the player (and thus the character isn't applying to mustang)... So the Senior NCO's are there because they typically are lifers who chose not to seek a commission.

You still have to make a re-enlistment roll even if you aren't commissioned, don't you?

And now that you mention it, the draft is an interesting feature implied for the setting.

On the chance that I am not the only American who found some of the slang difficult to follow, I offer this probable translation:

For example, the Navy recruits geeks [high Int] and especially swots [high Edu], and loves geeky swots[high Int and Edu]. But it doesn't make them officers. It commissions toffs [high Soc].

Beyond this point, it seemed clear to my American grammar - 'swots' and 'toffs' took some time to define (and even the on-line dictionaries tended to define the terms loosely).

You still have to make a re-enlistment roll even if you aren't commissioned, don't you?

And now that you mention it, the draft is an interesting feature implied for the setting.

yup. Reenlistment rolls are required even if not opting to reenlist. 1 in 36 persons is not permitted to exit service.

The draft, coupled to Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium, means that either you find a job quick, or you wind up in the service for a term.

The draft, coupled to Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium, means that either you find a job quick, or you wind up in the service for a term.

Don't everybody go reading too much into the Player Character prior career generation :)

First, it doesn't cover every possible career (it can't possibly hope to), just the ones that might be of most interest to players.

Second there is nothing to say that the draft is mandatory for anyone but Player Characters, and even that is just a game mechanic to insure that prior career generation allows a player a way into some career.

In the setting the draft is almost certainly volunteer only and not everybody volunteers.

This long ago informed my opinions on what a Citizen of the Imperium is (as compared/contrasted to a citizen of a world within the Imperium) and the reality of the setting.

Last edited:
Life as a merchant officer is not as lucrative as the Navy
While for most characters I think you're correct (especially with the TAS membership benefit a possibility for every Navvy) there is the chance of a merchant Captain striking it rich enough to own a starship, which is far richer than any Navy man can hope for on mustering out.

While for most characters I think you're correct (especially with the TAS membership benefit a possibility for every Navvy) there is the chance of a merchant Captain striking it rich enough to own a starship, which is far richer than any Navy man can hope for on mustering out.

An exceedingly long chance :)

Really, given the rolls, even with the kinder and gentler rule of failed survival is not death, the odds of making Captain are very low.

If you want a ship, go Scout, even 1 term can be enough. Not only that but you'll know how to fly and navigate it and can even do it all by yourself.

While for most characters I think you're correct (especially with the TAS membership benefit a possibility for every Navy) there is the chance of a merchant Captain striking it rich enough to own a starship, which is far richer than any Navy man can hope for on mustering out.

I have found that the Broker and Trader skills applied to cargo speculation will allow a character to make a very good living AFTER their terms of service. Merchant is the place to gain those skills.

To me the chief implication of the draft is that you should be careful not to read too much about the setting into the character generation rules. They're a game mechanic for creating interesting and playable player characters (no comment about how successful they are). The fact that most Traveller writers have used them to generate NPCs too is unfortunate, but there it is. I don't take them as proof that Arbellatra couldn't possibly have been a Grand Admiral by age 23 or that all cooks are incompetents. Nor do I take them as evidence that Imperial press gangs go around picking up people and turning them over the the Imperial Other Service to learn various forms of skulduggery. The draft is a game mechanic, not a reflection of the setting.

Hans

To me the chief implication of the draft is that you should be careful not to read too much about the setting into the character generation rules. They're a game mechanic for creating interesting and playable player characters (no comment about how successful they are). The fact that most Traveller writers have used them to generate NPCs too is unfortunate, but there it is. [...] The draft is a game mechanic, not a reflection of the setting.

Hans

The only distinction between PC and NPC in the rules is who generates them, Hans... and that the GM is allowed to fudge. (MT allowed alternate means of generating NPC's. CT never allowed nor disallowed alternate modes, but related boardgames did, to wit, Snapshot...)

Given that about 1600 NPC's have been generated using them by GDW is relatively telling, in that they are apparently normative... not exclusionary, but at least normative.

...Given that about 1600 NPC's have been generated using them by GDW is relatively telling, in that they are apparently normative... not exclusionary, but at least normative.

Normative for Travellers (aka Imperial Citizens by my definition) maybe. Not normative for typically encountered locals. For that reference the likes of the Random Encouter and Patron List tables from The Traveller Book which include not just the basic and supplemental careers but much more variety. And even that is not all inclusive.

The only distinction between PC and NPC in the rules is who generates them, Hans... and that the GM is allowed to fudge. (MT allowed alternate means of generating NPC's. CT never allowed nor disallowed alternate modes, but related boardgames did, to wit, Snapshot...)

Given that about 1600 NPC's have been generated using them by GDW is relatively telling, in that they are apparently normative... not exclusionary, but at least normative.
Yes, but you'll notice that there's nothing in the character generation rules that says that NPCs should be generated using the same rules. In fact, the only thing I can recall about that is an article about NPCs that, as you say, suggests that GMs are allowed to fudge (Gee, thanks for the permission, I never would have done that on my own ;)). With the curious result that PCs are, if anything, slightly inferior to NPCs.

I strongly suspect that those Traveller writers never considered the implication of generating those 1600 NPCs that way (any of you Traveller writers who want to correct me, feel free). I certainly hope they didn't. I'd really hate to think they actually meant for three out of every 36 Imperial citizens to be Imperial nobles. Let's see, there are 15 trillion people in the Imperium. That would be more than one trillion Imperial nobles. I think we're going to need a bigger Moot Spire... :D

In case you need me to spell it out: No matter how many NPCs previous writers may have created using the character generation rules, it is still a silly idea to assume that the character generation rules accurately reflect the demographic makeup of the universe or even any of the organizations they cover. (Please note that I'm not saying one shouldn't assume some correlation between the rules and the organizations. Just not a very high correlation).

Hans

Normative for Travellers (aka Imperial Citizens by my definition) maybe. Not normative for typically encountered locals. For that reference the likes of the Random Encouter and Patron List tables from The Traveller Book which include not just the basic and supplemental careers but much more variety. And even that is not all inclusive.
Yes, but Aramis is quite right. The fact that previous writers have used the CG rules to generate NPCs ought to mean that the rules will supply reasonable NPCs. Unfortunately, they don't (Vide the 3 Imperial nobles out of every 36 NPCs).

Hans

Yes, but Aramis is quite right. The fact that previous writers have used the CG rules to generate NPCs ought to mean that the rules will supply reasonable NPCs. Unfortunately, they don't (Vide the 3 Imperial nobles out of every 36 NPCs).

Yep, got that, and it lead to my rational that said NPCs were Travellers and Citizens of the Imperium per my take. That is: the way to become a Citizen of (as opposed to a simple inhabitant of a planet within) The Imperium (with all the benefits and requirements that go with it) is through Service (the basic careers) or money/influence (the "other" careers).

So, among Travellers and Citizens, sure, I can see some large percentage of nobles.

And those Travellers and Citizens are the people that player characters tend to be and encounter and deal with in day to day life. Not the farmer in the field on the backwater Ag world they "visited" without ever leaving that hive of scum and villainy starport, even though there were a million such farmers on that world :)

A larger than average percentage, fine, but surely not one in twelve?

More like (talking CT B1 and S4) 1 in 100 I think. To be a Noble you have to have Soc 10+ to start with (so that's 16.7%) and then choose the Noble career (1 in 18 if we just go random, about 5.6%). So about 1% (if I did the math right) of "characters".

Even that might be a bit high but I can live with it. I guess. The question becomes what percentage of the population are Travellers and Citizens (of which Nobles are 1%)?

More like (talking CT B1 and S4) 1 in 100 I think. To be a Noble you have to have Soc 10+ to start with (so that's 16.7%) and then choose the Noble career (1 in 18 if we just go random, about 5.6%). So about 1% (if I did the math right) of "characters".
No, to be a noble you have to roll 11 or 12 (knight or baron; OK, arguably it's 'only' one in 36) with 2D. I'm not even counting the ones added by the Nobles career and +Soc results.

Even that might be a bit high but I can live with it. I guess. The question becomes what percentage of the population are Travellers and Citizens (of which Nobles are 1%)?
Imperial nobles, remember? Not just piddling planetary upper class types like the Queen of England or the President of the US. Try working it out from the top down:

High Nobles:

1 Emperor
6 Archdukes
~300 dukes
~1000 counts
~2000 marquesses
~4000 barons

Honor nobles and achievement nobles: What, the same again? Twice as many? Say a total of 15,000. Surely that's a tidy number, although I won't argue about a factor two more or less.

15,000 out of 15,000,000,000,000 is one ten millionth of one percent...

Now try working it out from the bottom up. How many in the Imperial Navy alone? According to Rebellion Sourcebook, the Imperium has 320 regular fleets each composed of 8-10 squadrons. That's 2,880 squadrons. How many crewmen to a squadron? Call it an average of 8,000 men? Half that? OK, that 11 million crew slots. Quadruple that to account for ground-based personnel: 44 million. If one out of 36 of them are Imperial nobles, there's about 1.3 million nobles in the Imperial Navy alone. Before we start to account for recruiting bias and social advancements.

Hans

Back