• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sensors.

Hello.
Am i correct in my thinking that sensors and comms have only one range band and not multiples like weapons.
I also assume that sensors have double range in passive mod verses anyone using active sensors?????.
Bye.

Hello Lionel,
I am assuming the questions you posed are from T20, if not kindly ignore the following.

The sensor rules in T20 contradict themselves.
The skill rules on pp96-98 give a base difficulty to detect a ship as DC10 with active sensors. If you use passive sensors add +10 to the DC. The latest errata says to ignore the table on page 98.

The encounter awareness combat section on pp144-146 raises the DC to spot a vessel as DC20, +10 if using a passive scan. I suggest ignoring this, otherwise ships cannot detect each other using passive scans.

In both sections using your active scanners gives away your position.

On to the question of range bands, on p 154 you will find the Starship or Spaceship communications, Sensors and Weapon ranges table which does give range band penalties to sensors and comms used beyond their rated range.

Now IMHO if you pick and choose the rules to use then the T20 sensor rules simplify down to quite a playable system which can be used for cat and mouse sub-hunt type scenarios.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Hello Lionel,
I am assuming the questions you posed are from T20, if not kindly ignore the following.

-------------------------------------------------

Yes sorry havn't read the LBB's since early 80's.
-----
The sensor rules in T20 contradict themselves.
The skill rules on pp96-98 give a base difficulty to detect a ship as DC10 with active sensors. If you use passive sensors add +10 to the DC. The latest errata says to ignore the table on page 98.

-----------------------------------------

Yes i spotted that myself except for the errata, I'm waiting for the final (aha,aha,aha) errata.
-------
The encounter awareness combat section on pp144-146 raises the DC to spot a vessel as DC20, +10 if using a passive scan. I suggest ignoring this, otherwise ships cannot detect each other using passive scans.

---------------------------------------------
I have assummed that if the system has an A or B class starport it will have max sensors and they will be on active scan permanently, This will give anyone in system a kindoff active scan (any reflected signal within their active scan range should give you a active scan chance).

In both sections using your active scanners gives away your position.

------------------------------------
I think it should only give a better chance not automatic.
-----------

On to the question of range bands, on p 154 you will find the Starship or Spaceship communications, Sensors and Weapon ranges table which does give range band penalties to sensors and comms used beyond their rated range.
----------------------------------------------
I think sensors and comms should only work to there rated ranges (yes they will work at longer range but not reliably so it should be at greatly reduced chance if any (what about lake of maint lowering the range by one band per 3 months not maint).
-------

Now IMHO if you pick and choose the rules to use then the T20 sensor rules simplify down to quite a playable system which can be used for cat and mouse sub-hunt type scenarios.

Hope this helps.
Bye.

Back