• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Scout/Courier Rendering

tlindsey

SOC-12
I built a 3D model based on Bryan Gibson's new 100-ton Scout/Courier design and did a few test renderings. A sample image is located at:
http://www.tedlindsey.com/3d/scout_courier_08.jpg

I have some questions that the forum gearheads may be able to assist me with:

1. Since it's difficult to translate a 2D sketch into a true 3D object with only two views, I'm not sure if my model's hull shape jives with what Bryan Gibson had intended. Curious to know if this is what people would expect it to look like since I took a few liberties with the design.

2. What are the spherical assemblies on the sides of the hull. I'm assuming they are neutrino sensors based on the description from the Starship Operator's Manual.

3. What is the black pod located on the short boom behind the turret. I'm assuming it's a densitometer.

4. Based on the deck plans, I can't figure out how the cargo bay doors open. The deck plans make them appear to be vertically oriented doors which would make me think that the hull might "clamshell" open somehow. However, I think the original Scout/Courier opened downward from the ventral side.

5. Should this model Scout/Courier have wheeled landing gear? Other designs of the "original" Scout/Courier seem to have landing gear that ends in a flat plate. I know these ships are equipped with thruster plates but they're only capable of hovering horizontally for short periods of time since the thruster falloff at 90 degrees to the thruster plate direction is 25%. I would assume they would want a way to move the unit on the ground without having to overdrive the maneuver drive unit.

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Look really good.

1) Hull shape is about right. The orginal drawings had the nose coming to a point, but chopping it off works as well.

2,3) I'm not sure, your explination sounds as good as any other.

4) Correct, the cargo doors are on the ventral surface. The deck plans should show them in the "Floor", but sides works ok as well.

5) It probably has both types (though not at the same time), depending upon who built it and who applied upgrades and expected missions. So either would work, and I've seen both.

Have you seen Jesse DeGraph's renderings of the Scout/Courier?

His Gallery: http://www.vision-forge-graphics.com/jesse/traveller/traveller_gallery.htm

The tutorial: http://www.vision-forge-graphics.com/jesse/traveller/sulieman_tutorial.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tjoneslo:
Look really good.

1) Hull shape is about right. The orginal drawings had the nose coming to a point, but chopping it off works as well.

4) Correct, the cargo doors are on the ventral surface. The deck plans should show them in the "Floor", but sides works ok as well.

Have you seen Jesse DeGraph's renderings of the Scout/Courier?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I based this "chopped nose" design off the image on the TravellerRPG artwork gallery. It's a bit different than the "old" Scout we all know and love.

I'd love to get Bryan Gibson's feedback on how he envisions the cargo bay doors working. My vote would be for a clamshell design in which sections of the dorsal and ventral surfaces swing up and down, revealing the vertical doors depicted in the deckplan.

Jesse does great work! We've both done work for Steve Jackson games GURPS Traveller line. Jesse's done a LOT of work for them, while I've only done a few.

In honor of Jesse, I created a new color scheme that is similar to the scheme that he chose for his renderings of the Sulieman:
http://www.tedlindsey.com/3d/default.htm

Click on the "Scout/Courier v322" link for the new color scheme version.

I made a few minor changes as well:
- "Correct" Imperial sunburst.
- ISS Poni emblem on starboard side.
- Increased the level of detail in the hull plating.

Hope you like it.

- Ted

I've had some conversations in the past with Bryan concerning his ship art and models...

It can be, on occasion, a bit frustrating!
smile.gif

In the case of this Scout, though, it should be possible to establish how the cargo bay doors open (unless he's back in love with iris valves again...)
tongue.gif

------------------
----------
Joe Brown

[This message has been edited by Fulacin Highport (edited 30 April 2002).]

Back