• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sabmiqys in TNE

Wayne67

SOC-8
"Sabmiqys ( ????? / Antares 2117) is a quarantined system in the Antares sector occupied by intelligent robots. Scouts from the Vilani Imperium first flew by the world in -5889, but their ships were destroyed by internal explosions. The system was interdicted and named Gashukubi, which is Vilani for "Certain Death".
Towards the end of the Interstellar Wars, Terran breakthroughs in weapons technology produced the meson gun. The first Vilani to encounter this weapon were horrified - their ships exploded from the inside, just like in the Gashukubi legends. Rumours of the "gashukubi" weapon did much to sap the Vilani will to fight.

With the founding of the Second Imperium , the Vilani soon realised that the Gashukubi system was defended by planetary-based meson weapons. The startling truth was that the inhabitants possessed a superior weapons technology. When the Sylean Federation created meson screens as a protection against meson fire, it opened the way for first contact in 311.

The Scouts were met by armed robots. Many of the first contact crew were herded off at gunpoint, never to return. This pattern was repeated on several subsequent contact attempts. Within the Scouts, the word "Sabmiqys" came to describe any mission with a small chance of survival.

Eventually, the Scouts learned the local language and asked to meet "those in charge". Finally, they got to meet the actual Sabmiqys. The race is from omnivore/gatherer stock. They average 2.5m in height, and mass about 100kg. The Sabmiqys are thin and lithe, with no body hair and a bumpy, thick, spongy grey hide. They have two legs, four tentacle arms with four finger manipulators, a head with two eyes, four nostril slits, and a wide mouth with over 100 teeth. Very few exist, and the society seems to be made up of robots of all kinds. What really shocked the Scouts, however, was that a few of the Sabmiqys claimed to be over 10,000 years old!

In the late 600's, a Scout contact party stumbled upon a robot repair facility. They discovered that a "living" Sabmiqys was undergoing extensive repairs. The Sabmiqys are actually extremely sophisticated pseudo-biological robots. The truth gradually emerged that the original inhabitants of the planet were all been killed by a virulent virus in approximately -8000. The virus came from a Sabmiqys sub-light probe upon its return from a nearby star system. The ship was studied for six months - the incubation period of the virus. Once the deaths started, it was all over in very quickly. The entire population - estimated in the millions - died within 10 days. The remaining million or so robots left on the planet decided that space travel is of little or no value, and have never pursued interstellar exploration.

Currently, Sabmiqys is still an interdicted Red Zone world. The robots are not counted as population, as the Imperium does not recognise their sentience. Travellers are advised not to go to Sabmiqys for any reason. Many who have violated the Red Zone restriction have never returned.

(CHALLENGE-28, 1115)"

I found the above in Beowulf Down's Traveller Library Data at:

http://www.pcug.org.au/~davidjw/

Has anyone done anything with this in reguards to Virus and the Black Curtain. Seems like something to look into?

I think it came up in one of the other threads here (can't remember which one, sorry). I asked about it on the TNE:1248 playtest board, but MJD didn't say too much about what happened when Virus got there.

I'm looking to write-up something on this. Guess I'll get on the playtest/pre-order list for TNE: 1248 and see what is there. Then find the time do create something.

I spent a fair amount of time incorporating Sabmiqys into my New Era campaign back in the mid-90s.

I always figured that the world would be immune to Virus as their TL-17 computer systems outstripped anything Virus could throw at them. Their defenses and deep, subterranean existence would protect them from orbital bombardment even if the Virally infected ships could get through with meson screens protecting them.

So I would expect the world to continue as it once was once the Fourth Imperium gets underway.

Originally posted by Wolf man:
"Sabmiqys ... <snip>

Has anyone done anything with this in reguards to Virus and the Black Curtain. Seems like something to look into?
I know for certain that LW and MJD have said that Virus was unable to affect the Sabmiqys.

While I have read that Loren has declared the Sabmiqys are immune to Virus by virtue of their TL17 brains, there was still a heated debate on just how much protection this would actually be.

Firstly, some posters were able to suppose that virus was in many ways TL17 itself. There are plenty of things which easily support this within canon, and you don't necessarily need to read a description of Virus to come to that conclusion.

Secondly, and a point no one brought up, but that I just thought of: a TL0 rock thrown into a TL8 jet engine will still destroy the jet engine, and probably the whole jet, especially if it is flying at the time. So to say that a meager 1-2 TL difference is all the insulation against a threat you need, well, that's just not thinking straight. (I could give plenty more examples of low tech able to easily defeat high tech, but I think the point has been made sufficiently.)

Third, if you read the Challenge article, where it explains a little more than that snippet, you see that the Sabmiqys robots STOPPED firing on the incoming vessels for a reason: it wasn't effective any more. (Really, though, a scout's meson screens defeating a PLANETARY meson gun is just ridiculous, but I suppose we can suppose that the Imperium brought in a battlewagon or other purpose-built ship, which could be designed to have a good enough screen.) So the robots let the ships land, and then took the people away to do their thing with them. People who ask too many questions are taken away, never to be heard from again.

So an incoming Virus ship, early in the outbreak, is going to come in and bomb away. Maybe it will try and infect, maybe not. Maybe it has a chance, maybe not. But it's going to attack and self-destruct, because that's what the early strains did.

If the robots are smart, they will start shooting at incoming ships again, but even this is not going to save them. Remember, many important Imperial worlds had deep-site meson guns as well, and THOSE were defeated or worked around. Depending on just how subterranian the robot civilization is, and how far they are from the motherload of viruses, you can be reasonably sure that they got blown to bits.

Now this doesn't mean that the robots are necessarily all dead. There are plenty of human worlds which survived, so there will be robots that survived. If they have any contact with the Virus, you can be pretty sure that some interesting things happened.

I would suspect that the robots would have encountered an early Virus and been able to capture it and dissect it. Maybe the virtue of their alienness allowed them to shrug off the low-value attack of the early Viruses that tried to take them over. (Refering to the combat values of Viruses.) Robots probably have a value AT LEAST as good as a Sandman-type (sane).

The robots COULD have survived and found a way to ensure resistance against this unusual threat, but that is no guarantee that they did. Still, the author says they did, and though it is unlikely they went unscathed, there is a possibility for them to have survived, in the same way the Regency survived until 1202 or whenever they opened up the quarantine (which is to say, the author can come up with a plausible, not-entirely-ridiculous reason for them to make it, because he wants them to).

That is my take on the whole thing. Referees can find solace in knowing that the battle could easily go the other way, if that is what they chose. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a Virusized Sabmiqys being of any importance, though. They have no spacecraft capability, they are extremely insular, and their tech (besides robotics) is hardly impressive. It would be just as much a curiousity as before, but probably a lot more dangerous to land.

Just to add a little more, the article in Challenge also mentioned the robots had been cloning and breeding captive humans as experiments which allowed them to eventually clone the original inhabitants. These biological Sabmiqysians and humans are held captive though.
Perhaps the arrival of Virus could be used as an opportunity for the biologicals to rise up against their machine masters.

Well I don't have the Challenge article. :mad:

What issue number is it in. :confused:

What I'm looking to do is have the Sabmiqys robots have captive Virus (worked up to Sandman type Virus) and captive jump drives (from Virus and past Scout missions that made it planet side)
file_23.gif

The Sabmiqys are going to use captive Virus/scout clones as interstellar probes to the near by systems coming across a small Pocket Empire. (My PC stating point)

On Sabmiqy it self some of the captives/clones have rised up against their machine masters, but do not have jump capability. Some are now free but in small hidden enclaves.
file_22.gif

This is just my initial draft. A lot may change before I use/post it.
:D

T20 stats for the Sabmiqys should appear in TA9: Robots of Charted Space, due out sometime soon.

That is, if you need T20 stats for them,
Flynn

Back