• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

RotK (Cause You All Know Yer Fans)

All right guys...

I am going to check out Return of the King tonight at 7:00 pm PST. So don't muck it up fer me!!!

Looking forward to Eowyn and the Witch King... always was my favorite scenes!

Tis Good. Tis Loooong.... and to me seemed a wee tad draggy here and there, but lots of action, some good character moments, and some surprising humour tucked in here and there.

Though I have clearly in mind things I expect to see in the 4.5 hour extended version when it finally debuts - I found several moderately notable exclusions and I'm hoping the longer (this one is long, so we have to call the extenda-version the longer one) one includes.

Liked it though. A fitting end to a great trilogy of movies. Hope they do some of the other Tolkien works like the Hobbit and maybe some of the stuff about the Kinslayer wars and the other Ages - some of that would make great movie stuff too.

Oh, and remind me never to screw with the Elves. That Legolas is one mean Muther.... ;)

OHHHH-TAY!

Hey Mikey! We likes it!!! :cool:

OK, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who can say that the very first book I ever bought with my allowance money was a Tolkien book.... So, lemme say that Pete Jackson freakin' rocks!.

I can honestly say that each book of the trilogy has two scenarios/scenes that are my favorites. Other than one scene, EACH of them were fully played out beyond my wildest dreams. Moria, Isengard, the Gates of Mordor... all were wonderful. But Pelannor Fields was EPIC!!

But hey, it would have to be, right? So, I am not divulging anything. Those who have favorite stories in the trilogy will find them told, even if in the asides.

So, Cap'n Gani loves the flicky!! Enjoy!

Except you, Kaladorn... may yer "truely-expensive-expanded-version-DVD" skips!!!
file_21.gif

We don't get it for another week :rolleyes:

But I'll see it in two weeks. :D

Then I'm going to buy it when it comes out on DVD, tape my eyelids open, and watch all three in one night. :D

Yes the humor was done quite will. The best was the interactions between Legolas and Grimli.

The outdoor CGI work very impressive. Several scenes even had heat waves that would cause any background images to waver.

Here's a teeny tiny spoiler. I won't say where or the scene but the one of the best lines in the movie...

"That only counts as one!" - Grimli :D

Originally posted by George Boyett:
Yes the humor was done quite will. The best was the interactions between Legolas and Grimli.

Here's a teeny tiny spoiler. I won't say where or the scene but the one of the best lines in the movie...

"That only counts as one!" - Grimli :D
Yes, Grimli was the comic releif in this movie, also, but he wasn't made out to be the fool like he was in TTT.

"Certian death. Impossible odds. What are we waiting for?"

I saw RotK at a Tuesday night midnight showing, and I think it's the greatest final chapter to a triloty in film history, and makes LotR one of the greatest film trilogies in history, if not the best.

But I'm a little sad that there's not another LotR movie to look forward to next year. Except for the RotK extended edition DVD.

PJ writes:
But I'm a little sad that there's not another LotR movie to look forward to next year. Except for the RotK extended edition DVD.
I think I saw somewhere, maybe in Entertainment Weekly, that they were 'going to do a prequel'. If thats correct, than we have the Hobbit to look forward to at some point in the future.

On another subject...

You know you are a Traveller player when;

Watching the Minas T. battle, specifically when they bring up the battering ram, and I think to myself, "Hey! Virushi Combat Engineers! That violates Canon!"
file_22.gif

Similarly...

You know you are a Janes Fighter Anthology player when;

Looking at the same battle, seeing the Nazgul in action, and thinking, "Boy, those Fellowship guys could use a couple A-10s right now."
file_22.gif

Now I am going to have to reread the book again!
I seem to remember many things differently.

After the perfomance of Legolas, the munchkins are going to be playing elves to the extreme.

Cluster bombs were made for times like the Battle at the Pelenor Fields, but I was thinking how much trouble a player group could get into with that army aimed at thier ship.

The thought about modern weapons cuts both ways though: A daisy-cutter or three would have really done unpleasant things to Edoras or Minas Tirith.

Remind me never to be a cavalryman engaging elephants. That's about as much fun as being a non-pike infantryman engaging cavalry....

Originally posted by kaladorn:
Remind me never to be a cavalryman engaging elephants. That's about as much fun as being a non-pike infantryman engaging cavalry....
Steady infantry have always been able to face off cavalry. That's been true from the Ancient Egyptians to World War II. Dodgy infantry is another matter entirely.

Personally, I would pick machineguns over pikes.

Alan B

Originally posted by Maspy:
Originally posted by George Boyett:
Yes, Grimli was the comic releif in this movie, also, but he wasn't made out to be the fool like he was in TTT.

"Certian death. Impossible odds. What are we waiting for?"
You can't expect anything else from a Dwarf.

Originally posted by plop101:
I think I saw somewhere, maybe in Entertainment Weekly, that they were 'going to do a prequel'. If thats correct, than we have the Hobbit to look forward to at some point in the future.
It will probably be awhile for The Hobbit. Christopher Tolkien, the son, controls the rights to that book. His father had sold the film rights to LotR before he died.

Christopher apparently doesn't like the changes/cuts made for the LotR movies. He has refused to endorse them. He is convinced that none of his father's work can be filmed properly. If he had held the rights to LotR, he never would have released them/sold them for a movie version. He does not want to release/sell the film rights to The Hobbit.

Wow! So Christopher Tolkien doesn't think that the LoTR movies convey his father's story very well! :eek: :confused:

Let's see, we've had the following:

D and D, The Movie
Wingcommander
Riverworld

....and a whole bunch of cr*ppy takes on good/great books or games. At least Jackson captures the look and feel of the original books. One may fault him on including or excluding certain scenes (let's have a 5 hour movie; insert catheter now!), but there should be no question that he tried to capture Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth.

Perhaps it is just a negotiating ploy to try to increase the cost of purchasing the movie rights. Nothing motivates people more than seeing someone else grandly succeed and then trying to see how one can grab some of their good fortune/hardwork!
file_28.gif
I would hate to think the Christopher really thinks that the current LoTR movies are bad.

My fear for The Hobbit movie: combining the current vision of LoTR dwarves with something like Disney's 7 dwarves and creating a movie that will forever haunt me! :mad:
file_23.gif

Back